how to connect 2 computers?

chinmaya

Journeyman
hi guys, i have a computer and a laptop, wish to connect them because it is easy to transfer data. I have tried to connect them using a cross over cable. ieven have a netgear N300 router. please tell me how to do it.

Notr: already tried assigning ip address to both of them, but i was not able to open i computer in the other.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You can use wifi to share files, but speed will be pathetically low. Plus, you will need to share each drive AFAIK.

OP
C

chinmaya

Journeyman
after i do that and share the drivies when i try to open the drive from other computer i get a error message saying that "you do not have permissions " or some thing like that

reniarahim1

Youngling
Enable file sharing. Please confirm the OS used in both systems so that we can tell the steps. Or install some file transfer programs like ip messenger.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Add permission for 'everybody' under both sharing and security tabs of drive property.

rahulonmars

Broken In
What important is that you are using the same OS.
Sharing also works in different OS but its a bit tricky.
Here's how you do it.

1. Assign a same class IP to both the machines.
2. Disable your antivirus(if any) and also disable the windows defender.
3. Open run window (windows key+R).
4. "//IP ADDRESS" and press enter.
5. It will show some shared folder.
6. Else, "//IP ADDRESS/c$" where 'c' is the drive letter.

If the above steps doesn't work you can also try to start small with sharing only a single folder.

Revert, in case of problem and also if you want me to explain the router-sharing part !

\m/ PEACE

OP
C

chinmaya

Journeyman
which OS are you using ???

win 7 ultimate 64bit

Add permission for 'everybody' under both sharing and security tabs of drive property.

did that

What important is that you are using the same OS.
Sharing also works in different OS but its a bit tricky.
Here's how you do it.

1. Assign a same class IP to both the machines.
2. Disable your antivirus(if any) and also disable the windows defender.
3. Open run window (windows key+R).
4. "//IP ADDRESS" and press enter.
5. It will show some shared folder.
6. Else, "//IP ADDRESS/c$" where 'c' is the drive letter.

If the above steps doesn't work you can also try to start small with sharing only a single folder.

Revert, in case of problem and also if you want me to explain the router-sharing part !

\m/ PEACE

am able to see the shared folder but not able to ope it.i am only able to open user file... the public documents , music etc

kisame

King of Heroes
^Are you sure you added permissions for "everybody" in "security" tab??It is necessary to share files.Only sharing will not do.

Hrishi

Do this :

Goto search and type this : "migwiz" and follow the steps.
prettty easy ...huh
MIGWIZ is availble in win7 ultimate.

Top Bottom