How To Change Dynamic Ip

Rockstar11

Technomancer
hey
anyone know how to change dynamic ip address without power off modem?

ISP: BSNL
Broadband Plan : UL750
ADSL Modem: UT-300R2U
Dynamic IP : BSNL old server starting with ip range 59.*.*.*
router-type setup :router (modem) is configured with a PPPoE connection (ALWAYS ON)

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Dude, it depends on what kind of setup you're using.
For instance, if you're using the router-type setup where the router (modem) is configured with a PPPoE connection and you have put your username and password in that, then there's no way out except rebooting the modem. There may be some option to refresh the IP in the modem's control panel (192.168.1.1), but that's rare I believe.

In other cases, where you dial the connection from your PC, ipconfig /renew (windows) or sudo /etc/rc.d/network restart (*nix) should change the IP.

OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
Your OS plz !!
For windows,
ipconfig /renew

ISP: BSNL
Broadband Plan : UL750
ADSL Modem: UT-300R2U
Dynamic IP : BSNL old server starting with ip range 59.*.*.*
router-type setup :router (modem) is configured with a PPPoE connection (ALWAYS ON)

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

For instance, if you're using the router-type setup where the router (modem) is configured with a PPPoE connection and you have put your username and password in that, then there's no way out except rebooting the modem. There may be some option to refresh the IP in the modem's control panel (192.168.1.1), but that's rare I believe.

In other cases, where you dial the connection from your PC, ipconfig /renew (windows) or sudo /etc/rc.d/network restart (*nix) should change the IP.

yes..
router (modem) is configured with a PPPoE connection (ALWAYS ON)

ipconfig /renew not working... :(

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
yes..
router (modem) is configured with a PPPoE connection (ALWAYS ON)

ipconfig /renew not working... :(
Yup it won't work since it will renew private address only since your router maintains a WAN connection and the PC is connected only by LAN to it.
If your router has something in web interface to disconnect you can use it. Most routers don't. Not sure if you can get a new IP by logging in by telnet and running some commands in sh since it is pretty limited. Also not all routers support telnet.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
You can switch to Bridge mode i.e. dial via the computer.

But switching to bridge mode will disable connection sharing, if the guy has installed a switch in between to connect multiple comps.

@Rockstar, if you have only one comp, switch to bridge mode and dial from the machine.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl

O yeah, I forgot about those routers which connect automatically when switched on, Can't disconnect the Internet from PC in those cases.

OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
But switching to bridge mode will disable connection sharing, if the guy has installed a switch in between to connect multiple comps.

@Rockstar, if you have only one comp, switch to bridge mode and dial from the machine.

yes. only 1 laptop :)
thanks

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

PPPoE and BRIDGE Mode

Which is better?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
yes. only 1 laptop :)
thanks

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

PPPoE and BRIDGE Mode

Which is better?

In bridge mode, you need to use the dialer on your comp to connect to the internet.
Also, in bridge you can't share internet directly using a switch (not sure about it, but I think that's not possible, because I was unsuccessful with that on reliance).
Further, if your friend comes, to connect to the internet, you need to install the dialer on his comp too.

I don't think BSNL dialer is there for Linux/Mac, so if you plan to install either, forget about bridge mode.

PPPoE fixes all these flaws. You don't need dialer on any box you connect to the LAN/USB cable/wireless.

You can use any OS, irrespective of dialer's availibility for that OS.

Just plug in the cable and get connected, no dialing stuff.

One flaw about PPPoE mode: The username/password is embedded into the router, so in case either gets changed, you need to change them in the router config (not a big deal though :D).

Top Bottom