How to change default application for VCDs in Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
The default movie player totem can't play VCDs. But everytime i pops in a vcd it is opened with message it can't handle format. How can I change that to some player like vlc or mplayer?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
By default Totem can't play VCD/DVD etc., But by installing the plugins it can play.
You need to install Restricted Formats like Windows Codecs, etc., See the below
URL:
*wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

Regarding your second question. When you insert a VCD , Totem loads,terminate
it (File->Quit). Go the VCD folder where the '.dat' files are stored and select
one file , right click 'Open with Other Application' Now it will open a dialog box
containing all the applications. Select VLC Media Player in the list. Click on 'Open'.

OP
V

vinayasurya

Journeyman
Totem can't play VCDs even after installing all plugins from the wiki page. I don't about totem-xine though. The Open with technique works for all file formats except VCDs.I found System>Preferences>Removable media but typing there also require some parameters, I don't know what it is. It is currently totem %m.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Install VLC or MPlayer , both can play VCD/DVDs and almost all formats.
You have to install 'totem-xine' also. Install Vlc ( all packages available).
You may need to specify your CD drive path. This will work definitely. Try it.

OP
V

vinayasurya

Journeyman
My problem is not with installation. I have installed all packages described in wiki page of ubuntu.I also have mplayer and vlc. But the problem is that totem is launched whenever a new vcd is inserted and it can't play vcd. I want to vlc/ mplayer on insertion of vcd.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You need to install the package 'totem-xine'. Then it will play VCD/DVD.
Try installing it. Totem will play VCD/DVDs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom