how to change boot screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snehangshu

Broken In
i've both fedora and xp loaded in my system.so as usual,both comes when system boots.
but fedora is highlighted and after 30 secs it boots.

1.is it possible that i change the cursor to xp,fedora will be 2nd option ... so that after 30 secs xp boot automatically?

also 2.is it possible that we completely bypass this boot screen

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
yup, there is an option which you can choose as your default boot at the time of installation, in your case it's windows, but there are also methods to change the Grub boot screen off or to change it, but can't say exactly how cos i only use xp ! anyways, modifying the boot.ini won't work as it only changes the Windows boot manager, not of Linux

If you want to bypass the grub screen then it will not work coz linux works in ext3 partition format and windows doesn't support booting from this file format

shift

Seed is the Life!!
My Computer Properties > Advanced TAB > Startup and Recovery > Settings

select Windows XP as default and click OK

You can even set the boot time from Time to display list of operating systems

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
i've both fedora and xp loaded in my system.so as usual,both comes when system boots.
but fedora is highlighted and after 30 secs it boots.

1.is it possible that i change the cursor to xp,fedora will be 2nd option ... so that after 30 secs xp boot automatically?

also 2.is it possible that we completely bypass this boot screen

This method is for Ubunto but you can try it fedora also:
Configure GRUB
If you want to modify how GRUB handles the new dualbooting environment, you need to edit the boot menu. Boot into Ubuntu and open up a Terminal window (Applications, Accessories, Terminal), and type in:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Dualboot - Configure Boot Menu
This opens up the boot menu as a text file in gedit.

Dualboot - Boot Options

There are loads of options you can change, but only a couple that you’re likely to be interested in. The default boot entry is defined by the “default” value.

The default value is 0, which means that the first entry in the list (which is Ubuntu) always gets loaded.

If you want to make it so that Windows XP loads by default, change the value to 4, as XP is the fifth item in the list (the numbering system starts at 0).

The other way to load Windows XP by default is to change the value for “default” from a numerical value to “saved”. Then, GRUB will load whichever boot entry has been marked with “savedefault”.

If you scroll down the list and have a look at the entries, you’ll notice that both the main Ubuntu entry and Windows XP have been marked with “savedefault”. Remove the value for Ubuntu and Windows XP will launch by default.

You can also increase the boot menu timeout – just change the value for “timeout”. You can also hide the GRUB boot menu by removing the hash in front of “hiddenmenu”. Save and exit gedit to keep any changes.

And that’s about it. Dualbooting Windows XP and Linux when Windows is installed first is by far the easiest method of dualbooting, because most up-to-date Linux distros are very aware and accommodating of other operating systems, and GRUB is an excellent and highly flexible bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom