How to block torrent in personal WiFi network?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Guys, I own a wifi network with 3-4 systems. I need to block torrent downloading for others/all. I googled and came out with some suggested solutions, but some did't worked, and in most cases, can't figure out how to make them work :? .

1) port blocking 1024-65534 (most simple, but I guess my beetel 450TC1 router doesn't support that or I couldn't find an option to do that)

2) Squid, but how? :eek:

3) Using QoS. Can any one explain how to use them?

4) Using OpenDNS account, add a block list and linking router to it. Just sites are blocked, not download through torrent app.

No way I am gonna buy new router.

Only I have access to router settings and no one is even a bi tech savvy to counter any limitations. So any simplest solution would suffice.

TIY

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Port blocking will also not work, cause the clients can actually use any port. You can try QoS, and set a limit for each IP. But then all their traffic will move at the speed you set. Just ask them to not do it. Or block out their MACs.

Else give this link a try. You would need to install it on one machine to control the network.

*www.imfirewall.us/WFilter.htm

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^^
Port blocking will also not work, cause the clients can actually use any port. You can try QoS, and set a limit for each IP. But then all their traffic will move at the speed you set. Just ask them to not do it. Or block out their MACs.

I am not able to figure out how QoS works. :oops: Any help?

Setting a limit is not possible at least via hardware, as its not supported by router. Via software, I have no idea.

Blocking MAC addresses is a no no. I can't stop them from accessing net, but after repeating request not to hog bandwidth, they don't listen. So, have to do some workaround.

The most efficient method sounds to me is OpenDNS. But firstly, its not working from router, second, its working when set up on local computer, but its blocking only torrent sites, not torrent downloading. :confused:

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Found that in google search, about to try that. But first researching that will it affect something else or not.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I am not able to figure out how QoS works. :oops: Any help?

Setting a limit is not possible at least via hardware, as its not supported by router. Via software, I have no idea.

Blocking MAC addresses is a no no. I can't stop them from accessing net, but after repeating request not to hog bandwidth, they don't listen. So, have to do some workaround.

The most efficient method sounds to me is OpenDNS. But firstly, its not working from router, second, its working when set up on local computer, but its blocking only torrent sites, not torrent downloading. :confused:

I put in a software link, later on in my post. Install that on one computer, it shall allow you to disable p2p on any computer on your lan. Try it out.

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Yes, downloading that. (256kbps :x )

I put in a software link, later on in my post. Install that on one computer, it shall allow you to disable p2p on any computer on your lan. Try it out.

Not working. :( Its giving a lot of errors. I also tried making custom protocol, but then the things get a bit too technical. There's no option to block port (or I can't find).

EDIT: Its working, just tinkering.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
It has to work. It has options. You will have to play around. Does it automatically recognize all computers on the LAN..?

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
WFilter self says that to block certain P2P apps I need to block 1024-65524 UDP range. Without this, I can't block P2P/torrent completely.

See this-

*i.imgur.com/Iw0YZ.png

I already have blocked Bitorrent, but its still able to download, due to the fact that I actually have blocked only "active" ports, not the entire range which I need to.

When I block the current port, the torrent traffic is throttled down by a huge margin, but in some secs, it again goes up. You can guess why.

Its also not tracking IDM data.

Does it automatically recognize all computers on the LAN..?

Can't say now. All systems are off now, but it doesn't detects my mobile. :|

Update- Can't see systems in LAN. WiFi deployment error.

Here's the culprit:

Azureus ( Up to version "4.2" )
BitComet ( Up to version "1.24" )
BitLord ( Up to version "v.1.2beta" )
Bittorrent ( Up to version "7.2" )
uTorrent ( Up to version "2.2.0.23235" )
Warez ( Up to version "3.2.0" )

I had ver 3.0.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
to use torrents port forwarding is must no matter what port is used & it can be done only in modem/router settings.if only you have access to modem/router settings then why not simply disable/delete all port forwarding rules.

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
to use torrents port forwarding is must no matter what port is used & it can be done only in modem/router settings.if only you have access to modem/router settings then why not simply disable/delete all port forwarding rules.

Problem is absence of those settings in router. I am not able to find an option to do that. I also came to know that this can be achieved via QOS, but how? :?

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
see here:
Router Screenshots for the Beetel 110TC1 - PortForward.com

Sorry for my mistake, but my router is 450TC1 :oops: .

Update: QOS also can't do it.

Signify said:
What you have to understand is that normally you are not in control of the rate of traffic to you. It's always the senders and the network to you that dictate the speed. If the traffic is TCP your application and network stack can slow it down some but if it's UDP traffic you are totally out of to control all the way until the traffic hits your router. Also there is no QoS on Internet so even if you could make a deal with the sending part to prioritize some kind of traffic by marking it a specific way no equipment that is part of Internet do really care.
QoS on IP and ethernet is mainly done by buffering traffic in different queues on the outgoing interface of the equipment. Compare it to the lanes of a highway but in this case the lanes have different speed limits. What traffic ends up in a specific queue depends on a marking (TOS/DSCP/COS) a packet/frame has and the one set in the equipment combined with a rule set.
The problem is that there are different ways to mark packets and frames and equipment have different amount of queues (or none). Ethernet use only cos markings that is only supported on vlan tagged frames. Ip on the other hand use two ways DSCP or IP-precedence. An ethernet frame with vlan tag can carry a cos marking and the ip packet inside it can carry a DSCP or IP-precedence marking but nothing say one thing demands or rules out the other.
OK but what happens if that multi lane highway funnels into a one lane road? now suddenly there is no way to control the individual speed of the cars. All have to conform to the pace of the car ahead. This is exactly how it works on Internet. No matter what the speed limit (bandwidth) of a connection is all have to conform to that. You can't form a "buss lane" to let some traffic by the other.

In your Beetel router you can do actually do pretty advanced QoS classification and rules but it will only apply to traffic in and out of your router.

Summary:
The tricky part in all this technical mumbo jumbo is that one need to be in control of the traffic at each and every equipment on the way from senders to receivers to be able to do proper QoS. The only thing you can to at points is limit bandwidth of a specific type of traffic by shaping or policing it. THIS DO NOT slow the traffic down up to that point. In your case you are not in control of the traffic until it hits your router so basically your ability to do QoS unless it's between devices connected at your local site. What you can do though is ask the sender to slow down.

Solution suggestion:
What you can do is dependant of the software. The Utorrent bittorrent client for example has built in traffic shaper.
For normal web downloads there was an add on for Firefox called Firefox Throttle Firefox Throttle - Download but it's not supported any more. You could search for something similar.
As you can see unfortunately there isn't that much you can do with what you have. Some more expensive enterprise class networking equipment that proxy traffic can slow down specific TCP traffic at client side but it's usually way to expensive for smaller companies or home users.

Source

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
can you post a screenshot of your modem setting under "advanced setup"(by no info i am assuming your settings page is different from the one in screenshots).

Top Bottom