How Samsung became worlds largest mobile phone maker?

ajaymailed

In the zone
only two companies are raking up great profits from present smartphone market, Apple & Samsung. Quite a lot has been spoken about Apple but how Samsung came out of nowhere and went on dominating not only smartphone segment but also feature phones despite the heavy competition from Sony, HTC & Moto . Not just high end phones like S2 & S3, they were able to edge out competitors in mid as well as lower segments of smartphones. Their phones compared to others are not good looking, made of cheap-feeling plastic, unimpressive TouchWiz UI, they delay android updates a lot, sometimes abandon the phone altogether like the once flagship Galaxy S.
Competitors like HTC, Sony have released almost equally good performing phones with regular updates but its always the Galaxy spearheading the Android in the smartphone battle.

dharmil007

Journeyman
iTs comprised of many reasons, one just cannot claim that SAMSUNG ROSE TO FAME, BUT ONE CAN SURELY SAY THAT NOKIA HAS FALLEN

After Symbian Failed, if Nokia had gone to Android rather then WP, it would be huge with great success & no one c0uld succumb it.
As Nokia had great expertise in many things, which clearly still today no company in the world has.
Hardware - Excellent {N8 is a proof}
Maps - Excellent
Imaging - Excellent.

So after nokia, who was the worthy company ?
To take over the position ?
Obviously Apple doesnt count in here, 'coz it has its own class.

So there were many companies to compete Sony, Samsung, hTC, lG, etc.

But Samsung proved better, because of its various techniques & various factors were also on its side. {impressive advertising of its products}
& Mainly because of its Flagship models that no one could compete with Galaxy s2, Note, Galaxy S

Before Release of S2, Samsung wasnt that much Big giant.
it was still in competiton with other.
At that time dHD was better then Galaxy S.

But after that as hTC or s0ny or lG or anyother coudnt provide a better fone to the market & in direct competition with S2.
So from that time on Samsung emerged victorious.

Nowadays Samsung are releasing just CRAPPY FONEs except above 20k.

But still the name counts & so on the name it is able to sell.

{This is my opinion, others may have different}​

ankit360

Journeyman
I think it's because of cost. Check price of lumia 800 and omnia W difference is about 6k with almost same configuration. But I admit that Nokia has good software support.

satinder

DELHIITE
Sorry to say that Nokia is not able to support software part, which is need of the hour.
Many Symbian OS need that.
Lumia 00-10 series may not get win 8 because of hardware support limitations or company policy.
I have many Nokia phones.
I am a Fan because of the quality and functionality software of the Nokia phones with far Superior Hardware.
I may be a basic phone user (Buyer of Basic Numeric Pad models) of Nokia forever.
For Touch OS, I am thinking of having Lumia 710 as a better hardware option.
After all You need to talk from a phone, that no other Mobile hardware can give better talktime

In phone or Tablet, Android attracts me but better options are not cheaper or satisfy me hardwarewise.
For the sake of Android, I may end up having Samsung TAB for better Hardware Option (Cost is not less).
(God Listening.....)

Samsung is doing good job, getting more customers for cheaper set options.
But to be a Leader, Samsung have to do much in lower & middle segment.
Samsung's marketing is always aggressive, was same in earlier stages(in India also).
Samsung is now diversifying not only in Mobile but You will see Galaxy Series / Name in other products.
Samsung is market oriented company.
Trying to get hold of the position and making its roots to be kept in brains of people.
As we can see in the market, Samsung Boards(Earlier this was for Nokia).
There is much to be done on this front.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Basic business policy. Release phones (in good numbers too) in mid and low mid range and give good customer support for them, in a third world country, like us and China, having WTF population. Done, you're one of the top dogs. That's how Nokia did it, Samsung following. Just that the platform changed from Symbian to Android and they have INVENTED how to use PLASTIC on phones to lower the manufacturing cost even more.
On the other hand, you can be rich by doing business like Apple, which I admire.

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Back in 2008, when Amir Khan became the brand ambassador of Samsung Smartphones- it was audacious. No one thought them to be smartphone manufacturers, let alone phones being smart....I think what sets Samsung apart from the rest of the pack (Sony, HTC, LG) is a mix of the following 6 factors-

1. Speed to execution- Samsung makes much of the the hardware that goes into any consumer electronics item. Along with a very "open" mindset (read as ability to copy first and then improve quickly) and low cost of goods, Samsung is able to develop products and get them into the market a lot faster than anyone else

2. Betting on the right horses- Symbian, Blackberry dying, iOS for the upper classes, and a middle class with burgeoning disposable income- all helped the rise of Android...Samsung bet big on Android and became king

3. Ability to create halo effect around flagship products- Despite their largely plasticky skins, their top of the line products always set the performance benchmarks creating a halo effect around the brand itself, due to which even their middling mid rangers and still awful entry level offerings sold like hot cakes.

4. Changing consumer preferences- Apps, ecosystems, flexibility all are must haves for todays consumers and they are knowledgeable too- prompting the shift from other operating systems to Android

5. Changing competitor landscape- Of course one falleth, one riseth. Nokia's decline created space for Samsung.

6. The world loves an underdog- 4 years back, it was an underdog. No publicity is bad publicity and despite the negativism about lawsuits, the media loved Samsung seeing them as David standing up against the Goliaths, and consumers saw a fresh alternative at great prices (Samsung, as a challenger then offered VFM products)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Android helped samsung to succeed ....when android was not there people were buying only symbian as smartphone OS and nokia was dominating. But then symbian was looking boreing and stale, and android was new and fresh.

Samsung have more advantages with there research...they have lots of mobile parts of their own manufactured where nokia had to buy everything from third parties..it will definitely effect the prices too.

Its true that its Nokia which have fallen and others r just capturing the open market.
Android saved nearly finished Sony Ericsson (who lastly even jumped to symbian to save their company)
even motorola got some market back with android after success of Defy and Razr

But I am bit disappointed with HTC...it was one of the fastest growing brand 1-2 years back and gave compitition to samsung...but they r now somewhat missing...less interested

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
But I am bit disappointed with HTC...it was one of the fastest growing brand 1-2 years back and gave compitition to samsung...but they r now somewhat missing...less interested
It is a bit surprising, HTC, Moto, Sony, LG etc aren't doing good despite having good phones.
None of the major Android phones makers leaving Samsung are making good profits. Their market share is just surviving because of Android.

Sarath

iDota
Isn't it obvious.

Two companies responsible for Sammys success are Apple and google.

Also the fact that they produce their own Memory, Screens and processors which definitely are the best in the world right now. Fastest 2GB RAM, AMOLED+ and Equinox (spelling?) which they do not sell to other companies. Gives them an edge.

If only Samsung would decide to improve it's design then I think it will truly be worthy of its tag of market leader

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
Number Of models at various price points.

<10k(MOST IMPORTANT PRICE POINT):
Samsung Galaxy Y
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy Chat
Galaxy Y Duos
Galaxy Y Pro Duos.
Y pro Duos Lite(Pocket Duos)
Many Feature phones.
Wave Y

<15k:

Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Ace Duos
Ace Duos CDMA
Ace Plus
Ace 2 (coming soon)
Omnia W
Omnia M
Wave 3

<20k:
Galaxy S
Galaxy S plus
S advance
Galaxy Tab 2

<30k:
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy S2
Tab 620
Tab 730
Tab 750
Galaxy Note

>30k:(the biggies)
Samsung Galaxy S3
Note 2
Note 800

AND Many More....

A phone for every price point and reliablity(not as good as Nokia though)

AcceleratorX

Youngling
They have the feature-to-price ratio down. They have an edge in technology investment and manufacturing; and as such have earlier access to many new hardware technologies. For this reason they are able to push out the hardware quickly at many price points with very good features (for e.g. see that Samsung phones often have Bluetooth 3.0 vs. 2.1 in their competitors). They also seem to be able to keep costs down: look at the plastics used in their phones lately....

Other brands failed mostly due to mismanagement and failure of marketing strategies. Nokia's downfall is the stuff of legends and will definitely make it to MBA courses as a case study one day. As for others:

1) HTC is doing fairly well lately, achieving decent and steady growth. It might overtake Nokia this year.
2) LG is improving: Their problem is that they don't have catchy designs (for e.g. LG's reskin of Android is nowhere near as extensive and "pretty" as competitors Samsung and HTC) and nearly enough smartphone models. On the high end though they are gaining marketshare and mindshare. Once they roll out the smartphone range throughout the price spectrium, we should see their market share rise well since LG, like Samsung, has the ability to keep production costs down (LG owns several chemical production plants).
3) Sony is undergoing restructuring following the buyout of Ericsson's stake. While the new Xperia phones are well received there is still work to be done. They are still making loss, though their marketshare is for the time being constant.
4) Motorola is still struggling ATM despite it's purchase by Google.

daksh

Journeyman
They have the feature-to-price ratio down. They have an edge in technology investment and manufacturing; and as such have earlier access to many new hardware technologies. For this reason they are able to push out the hardware quickly at many price points with very good features (for e.g. see that Samsung phones often have Bluetooth 3.0 vs. 2.1 in their competitors). They also seem to be able to keep costs down: look at the plastics used in their phones lately....

Other brands failed mostly due to mismanagement and failure of marketing strategies. Nokia's downfall is the stuff of legends and will definitely make it to MBA courses as a case study one day. As for others:

1) HTC is doing fairly well lately, achieving decent and steady growth. It might overtake Nokia this year.
2) LG is improving: Their problem is that they don't have catchy designs (for e.g. LG's reskin of Android is nowhere near as extensive and "pretty" as competitors Samsung and HTC) and nearly enough smartphone models. On the high end though they are gaining marketshare and mindshare. Once they roll out the smartphone range throughout the price spectrium, we should see their market share rise well since LG, like Samsung, has the ability to keep production costs down (LG owns several chemical production plants).
3) Sony is undergoing restructuring following the buyout of Ericsson's stake. While the new Xperia phones are well received there is still work to be done. They are still making loss, though their marketshare is for the time being constant.

Pretty spot on.
-LG's updates are REALLY SLOW.
-Moto is really struggling. They have stopped their operations in Asia Pacific. They will focus on a very select number of phones from now on.
-HTC, I like that company and what they do, I hope they do well. Slight issues with quality control though.
-Samsung, they've got the bucks, they've got the name, they've got the wide appeal due to their various consumer electronics and service. One thing i hate about their phones is the plastickyness. Till last year the mattish rough plastic was still okay, hyperglaze this year just sucks.
-Sony is always late in bringing a competitive product to the market hence they lose a lot on market share. Quality wise, superb.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
On a more personal note, I really like the design and quality of Samsung's phones but ultimately moved away from them due to the hassle of their horrible software called KIES. I've never been able to successfully flash a phone using KIES and the software generally is slow and extremely buggy. In fact I find the most reliable phone software and hassle free flashing (rooting and custom ROMs aside) comes from Nokia and Sony Ericsson (now Sony). Of course, I haven't tried Motorola, HTC and Apple but I imagine HTC isn't that bad judging from a few friends' experiences.

Also I've never had a problem with spare parts, service, warranty etc. on Samsung and Nokia phones. Can't say the same for others; certainly had to jump through a few hoops. Anyway, phones from Nokia and Samsung are also built very well: what will utterly destroy a Sony Ericsson phone will at best crack the screen of a Samsung phone (I've had experience). And for mid range and high end phones; let's just say that a drop from the first floor of my building to the ground didn't even cause a scratch or dent on my Wave II.....that speaks a lot for the quality of these phones. I don't think anybody else matches this level of quality that these two brands provide (for e.g. look at Sony: they use a "shatter proof coating" on mineral glass or polycarbonate plastic instead of using Gorilla glass - yes those phones break easier).

Last edited:
OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone

Its can be understood how Samsung is able to price their phones well, still carve out good margins. But could pricing be main reason to be in such a dominant position in smartphone market.
what about HTC, Sony, Moto & LG. What Samsung is doing different from them. for general public, products like Xperia S, HTC Sensation, One S/X somehow lack the WOW factor compared to Galaxy S2, S3.

You wrote about marketing, lets talk about it more, Why/How Samsungs competitors arent doing enough to market their phones.

-LG's updates are REALLY SLOW.
Samsung is also no Usain Bolt when it comes to updates.

-Moto is really struggling. They have stopped their operations in Asia Pacific. They will focus on a very select number of phones from now on.
This is even after adopting Android and releasing decently good phones. may be it gives us some indication as to why Nokia wasn't fully excited to adopt Android.

if we try to pin point the exact moment where Samsung turned the tables, especially when it comes to Flagship Hi-end smartphones. Somewhere after the release of Galaxy S & before Galaxy S2, Samsung cemented its market share in Android, but with S2, Samsung had solid product in their hands allowing them to dominate the entire smartphone market

Last edited:

sumit_anand

Ask the man who owns one!
Samsung was in mobile market from last many years but it was stuck with basic low end mobile phones only, Samsung mobile market had grown up since from they have adopted Android OS. Earlier people were using either Nokia Java based phones or Apple iPhone majorly.

Moreover pricing factor was also there, but the major fact behind was OS and the variety of devices in multiple size and price range Samsung had launched in past to build up their market and compete its biggest rival i.e. Apple.

Ankit Omar

Broken In
Samsung had done tremendous job in last couple of years and finally compete the market of world's biggest mobile seller i.e. Apple and become an open threat for Nokia. Its all come possible because of the variety of phones company had launched in past with reasonable price range.

Flash

Lost in speed
In a single word - ANDROID

I dont know why they din't popuralise their own BADA OS, when compared to Android!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Why Nokia went down (this allowed Samsung to become world leader)
  • Kept throwing out 3G less mobile in sub 5k budget
  • No full touchscreen mobile under 5k until recently
  • All sub-10k mobiles were having resistive screen
  • Tried fighting Android with Symbian
  • Too late in switching to WP and extremely late in announcing a budget WP
  • [MOST IMPORTANT] No Flagship mobile above 25k (that can go head on with the original Galaxy S)
  • Still trying to fight Android with dumb mobiles with 1Ghz processor in sub 10k space
  • Symbian was long ago kicked out of US

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
Galaxy-killer: Time for Samsung to ask 'Next Is What?'
Galaxy-killer: Time for Samsung to ask 'Next Is What?' - Page3 - The Economic Times
Four years ago, the Mumbai operations of Samsung called an activation agency to discuss plans for their premium touchscreen phone range — the term 'smartphone' was yet to gain popularity. Samsung wanted the phones to be showcased around office complexes, believing anyone who had a firsthand experience would immediately opt for them. Such optimism was easy to dismiss as the fancies of a team too much in love with their own range.

After all, Samsung was just one of the many companies with an impressive pedigree in consumer durables, attempting to crack a market dominated by Nokia. Sony had acquired a certain amount of credibility in mobile via its partnership with Ericsson and was at the time considered the brand most likely to succeed.

Come 2012, and Samsung by many accounts is the leading value player in the approximately Rs 48,000 crore Indian mobile handset market. According to GfK data sourced from the industry, its overall share in value terms is 39%. It's carved out close to 49% of the lucrative smartphone segment. Rival Nokia's share in value terms is down to 31%, with a 19% presence in the smartphone category. A recent report from Gartner states, "Samsung's share has risen from 15% in the first quarter of 2011 to 49.8% in the second quarter of 2012. If Samsung continues this strong growth, it could end 2012 with more than 60% — exactly where Nokia was at the start of 2011." Nokia and Samsung declined to comment on these numbers.

Like so many success stories, Samsung Mobile has many things going for it. Impressive budgets, an even more impressive speed to market, lots of hard work and yes, more than just a smidgen of luck. Samsung strapped on its running shoes in 2007 after an initial dalliance with the premium segment. Besides launching Omnia at the upper end and Guru for the mass market, it decided its mobile business needed a face.

Asim Warsi, vice president, Samsung Mobile says, "We brought in Aamir Khan and the 'Next Is What?' campaign in 2008. He has a massive appeal across different consumers, is iconic and innovative and those were attributes that Samsung wanted to communicate." The Bollywood star was part of the draw at Delhi in June 2010 when Samsung launched its first Galaxy phone built on Google's Android OS and Wave powered by its proprietary BADA OS. With terms like 'iPhone killer' being bandied about, the Galaxy S was the phone to have. Or at least the phone to hanker after, given its steep price tag of Rs 29,990. Budget conscious customers at the time typically postponed their purchase till the next big thing came along, making the former flagship more affordable.

Except what came first was not the next big thing but a series of small things. If you were willing to skimp on a super AMOLED screen and didn't need a very powerful processor, Samsung had a phone waiting in the wings, at a more reasonable price tag. It breached the Rs 10,000 mark with the Android powered Galaxy 5 before 2010 was over. Its eyes and ears were firmly on the Indian market, modifying the native Android OS to support FM radio; a feature that was ubiquitous in even the most basic models in the country. By comparison, BlackBerry launched its first model with FM radio earlier this year.

As it turns out, 2010 was the perfect time to start selling smartphones. Hype around the iPhone built the category even if the actual gadget was mostly inaccessible. Indian consumers who wanted to move beyond calls and SMS, quickly took to smartphones. With its wide range, Samsung was an obvious choice. Says Anshul Gupta, principal research analyst at Gartner, "People were going in for their second or third mobile. They'd become mature users, aware it could provide quick access to information, mail and social networking. Attractive data plans from carriers and finally availability at affordable prices, were other factors."

Faisal Kawoosa, lead telecom analyst at CMR adds, "Earlier, there was a category of enterprise and business phones that began to vanish with BYOD (bring your own device) becoming a global trend. Smartphones were seamlessly integrated by many businesses into their processes." Today Samsung claims to have the widest portfolio at price tags ranging from Rs 1,000 to over Rs 40,000. Production was ramped up in 2010, with an additional $70 million added to its manufacturing complex in Noida. At present, the facility churns out 2.5 million to 3.0 million units a month. It's been accompanied by a huge push in distribution.

The brand is currently available across over 100,000 multi brand outlets, with the bulk of sales coming from standalone mom and pop stores.
Aware that a lot of the battles between brands are fought at this leg, Samsung's been gearing up for the challenge by "creating a little world within the stores that's experientially richer," says Warsi. Samsung provides manpower to these stores and live devices as opposed to mock ups, hoping the better consumer experience will win the day. For the more premium consumer, Samsung's started Smartphone Cafes and has a presence at over 300 Samsung Digital Plazas. According to Warsi, the cafes draw an entirely different sort of crowd.

"The clock starts right before the customer enters the store. Everything in these cafes can be tested firsthand. They have our best store associates and exclusive products. We don't want people to just come in, buy and leave, but to walk out of the store totally activated," he says. While many of its competitors like Sony focus entirely on the premium side of the market, Samsung is still pushing its feature phones aggressively. It has chosen to ignore critics who claim the space has been irrecoverably commoditised. These phones contribute around 75% of Samsung's volumes, operating in the sub Rs 4000 price bracket. Warsi says, "Even though feature phones do not have an open operating system, they are being given more smartphone like features."

These include touchscreens and social apps besides features beloved of the value buyer like dual SIM card slots. Warsi argues that the need for customisation is greater in these phones since consumers have come to expect regional language input and display, an Indian calendar and prayers, as basic features. He explains, "It's clearly a sum total of a rational and emotional decision. The proof is our cheapest models are not the largest selling even in the feature phone segment."

According to Gartner, the mobile handset industry will reach 251 million units in 2013, and Samsung with a portfolio that straddles both the most pricey and the most inexpensive seems poised to reap a large chunk of this. In many ways, it's in a similar position to Nokia in the mid 2000s. And yet, it's too early to get complacent. Distribution is a key challenge on the feature phone side. In the case of smartphones, according to Kawoosa, "The issue is to convince the intended buyer that it makes sense to spend that much on a phone. For some users the decision is made difficult by tablets being available in the same range."

Smartphones are notoriously underutilised with many consumers buying devices equipped with maps, voice-led assistants and multimegapixel cameras and using them for pretty much the basics of messaging, calls and gaming. Kawoosa believes, "The biggest challenge is to find an evolved user rather than one who can merely afford a device. They have to address localisation not just for feature phones but the higher end. An enhanced experience can only be achieved by personalising the product. Vendors might need to explore options like mobile parlours where phones can be customised."

Around the launch of the iPhone 5, several consumer technology magazines attributed the relatively muted response to feature fatigue. How much faster, bigger and capacious can phones get before consumers stop queuing up and just shrug and move on? What is the next killer app on the product front to get them excited about the category? Perhaps its time for Samsung to ask 'Next Is What?' all over again.

Top Bottom