how often do u format ur PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2K

In the Zone
how often do u format ur HDD and install ur fav OS???????

me do this every month

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
it's a pain in the a$$. I hope I never do it till the reaper calls me.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
It's the absolutely last resort for me if something goes wrong (God forbid)! It's been more than a year since I last formatted my PC (touchwood). :D

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I only format when necessary. Though I have a friend who formats his PC even if something is not responding, and that is everyday :|.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Only when needed..though it takes about 20 mts flat for me to restore everything ..use Norton ghost...

Formatting i like my weakly movie time early days. Now i have successfully managed to safe secure my dual booting xp & vista. Sometime due to virus, disk cleanup, or sometimes due to torrent problem. I have managed keep it healthy for 2months. Phew!!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Last format two years ago

Edit: No prizes for guessing why

*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/44large.png

Edit after seeing all below posts: Last major format two years ago, I do format the / partition to upgrade my SUSE distro with every new release (6 months).

Last edited:

axxo

99.9% Idle
good to format & do the install regularly so that hunt for product key will not be required if at all you would require to install the os for next time.

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
I have took a image of my system drive so i dont need to format.......
I need to restore the image......and it tkes less than 3 min to install xp.....

hwever i format my ubuntu regualary 2 weeks..........

Raccoon

Journeyman
it's a pain in the a$$. I hope I never do it till the reaper calls me.

Lol... I'd say exactly the same thing! :D

Formatting, installing everthing again and setting everthing just right is a monumental project! :-?

But then I'v hardly needed to do it. On my current system, which is now 4+ years old, I'v never had to reformat... except about 4 months ago, when in one of my overzealous clean up routines, I deleted a critical file from the root drive, and nothing I did would let me boot into windows again. So had to reformat after 4 years. I dont think I'll need to do it ever again ...for as long as I have this system.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
When in college, I used to format OS every 10-15 days.
This is due to extreme R&D with various crapwares.

Now my experimentations has gone down, only movie and games.
Have not installed my OS since May this year.

Oh, once again thanks to KIS for that peace of mind.

chicha

High without substance...
boy there was a time when i had to format my pc 5 times a week :D. and each time it took approx 6 hours to install all the packages and linux.

the last format was 1 year back.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Main Working PC - Almost never.Not until there is some major Change in the PC hardware component, say like motherboard.Unfortunately i need to upgrade the PC Motherboard a lot and is the only reason i format.
However my Laptop Stays the same for atleast a year without formatting.Yes until ofcourse i need to sell it and upgrade to another one.Which is definitely once in a year.
However i dont remember i have ever formatted for anyother reason other than Hardware change .

toofan

Technomancer
since I bought my pc only once. All the problems i face i try to sort them out using google. now form past few months I use digit forum for this.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
If I experience windows rot, I switch to linux, Later when its absolutely needed to format the system only then I format, else no problem. Usually I format my system and reinstall windows when ever I join a new company, its been 3 days since I joined a new company , but still no signs of "Extra work from home" syndrome, so windows will stay as it is and I will continue using windows :p.

chicha

High without substance...
^ off topic
charan i think you have to strighten your cat's neck, we dont want it to fall off :D
just joking buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom