How much load can the APC 1.1KVA UPS take?

Sarath

iDota
I have the APC UPS rated at 1.1KVA. I am shifting my PC and thinking of connecting the PS3 + router to the UPS too. I would like to know if anyone has used such an extensive setup.

My PC (in sig) currently uses the UPS exclusively. I just ran a test and it ran for 45mins on it, with simple browsing. Don't know about games.

PS3 will draw a max of 230W but it's common knowledge that it draws much lesser in practice.

Router is negligebile.

A little greedy but will the TV work too? A 40" Bravia LCD-CCFL based. I guess not.

So will my UPS support my PC + PS3 + Router ?

EDIT: Need a backup for only 3mins max or rather 30seconds on average. Have a generator for sustained power, UPS is just a novelty. More concerned about the load on the UPS.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do not confuse VA rating with actual wattage provided by ups.
Theitdepot - APC Back UPS 1100 (BR1100CI-IN)
Output
Watts : 660 Watts / 1100 VA
if you want to know more see power factor:Power factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I am aware that VA * 07 = Wattage

But just wanted to know how far people have pushed it as yet. Looks like it will do good. Thanks guys.

After checking out the new setup I will post result (working / dead :D )

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
My PSU is 700W but I don't think it draws so much all the time. I do not have the knowledge or equipment to check load levels :|

It ran for 45mins on the UPS which itself says a lot. At full load it should only last a couple of minutes.

Neuron

Electronic.
Reduced backup time, that's the only thing you'll have to be afraid of i think.And yes,the UPS will warn you if you are overloading it.Or in the worst case, the fuse will go off.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I only need a backup time of 1mins and in worst case scenarios 3mins. The generator kicks in pretty fast in my apartment.

Even I am worried about overloading. :|

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
The power factor of our supplies are around 0.7 to 0.8.

So 1.1KVA*0.7= 770W .So No problem upto 700 to 750W loads.

More info-
*www.constructionknowledge.net/electrical/images_electrical/KW_vs_KVA.gif

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
APC mention the actual watts along with the VA rating on their site ups product page.this is much better than assuming PF & i am guessing if APC has a PF of 0.6(660/1100)then cheaper UPS brands will have a lesser PF.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Its a UPS not a power generator, the way its meant to be used is to give un-interrupted power supply till you save your state and shut the system down, its not meant to be used in a sustained way when the electricity is not there
edit: just read deeper into the thread, ok it should take PS3, PC and Router load for short period of time, thats what it is there for

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
^ thanks once again. I should have added the info to the OP. Just need at most 3mins backup. In fact just over 30secs is also fine since I only see a powercut >3mins only once a year.

I will test it with full load too Gaming on PC + PS3 gaming + baby accessories. I will let you know of the results.

But has no one pushed their UPS so much?

Will post my results soon.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Iron Box :shock: those tiny monsters are power suckers. Even I know nothing except the wall sockets can handle them and even they have to be good quality.
Running them off an extension cable will also burn the board or the fuse inside the extension board.

Well I'm using it on powerhungry gadgets but not to that scale. I will most likely shift the PC today but as it is my Bro's b'day I am more in the party mood :))

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I am buying a separate UPS for the PS3. I got a quote of 2200, shipped to my place. Is it a good price?

Posting this here because I searched and searched but didn't find a proper place to post this.

gameranand

Living to Play
I am buying a separate UPS for the PS3. I got a quote of 2200, shipped to my place. Is it a good price?

Posting this here because I searched and searched but didn't find a proper place to post this.

Company, model no., shop ??

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Forget the discussion prev to post 17. I decided not to take a risk and run such experiments. The 1.1KVA powers my PC + router + a charging board used for phones etc and don't want to tax it more.

As for my incomplete information given, well it's a APC 600VA UPS which is being offered 2100 shipped to my place from Golchha it, Bangalore. Its 2000 at store but my fuel charges will come up to 500 bucks.
So it is a good deal?

Top Bottom