How much Disk Capacity does Intel 845GVSR Mobo Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
Hello freinds,
I have Intel 845GVSR Mobo with 512 MB RAM & Seagate 80 GB Hard Disk.
I asked my Vendor to install 320 GB Hard Disk(after reading the review in Digit) but he told me that only disk of 160GB or less is supported by my mobo and installing any disk of higher capacity is a risk(mobo might not detect it he said).
Is it true? Should i trust his words? Or is he taking me for a ride?

Also when i asked about the price of Seagate 160 GB he quoted it will be done within Rs. 3000. I am a little shocked as I can get 320 with that price isnt it?

Further my current disk uses IDE cables and not SATA. Since most of the disks have Sata ports, can i use Sata adapters to connect a higher capcity disks to my current mobo?

Plz help me quickly.

Comeon guys help me out.

Last edited:

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
I don't think mobo has capacity restrictions with. . .we may use higher capacity as well.

Regarding using SATA HDD u sud hv sata supported mobo as well as sata ports.

OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
Thanks a lot guys. Now that you have confirmed that i can connect 320 GB plus my existing 80 GB then can someone tell me the shops where i can buy one and the prices in Kolkata. Someone said i can get 320 GB for Rs. 3000. Is it correct?
Is buying from Chandi a good choice?

My existing IDE cable has a grey connector, so i should connect it to my new HD to make it slave,right? The black one is connected to existing Primary 80 GB.

acewin

Point Blanc
its more of not the mobo's problem, earlier Windows XP( and not XP with SP2 or SP1) supported only (better say was able to identify) lesser than 160 GB HDDs, but its already good and you can add HDDs because I do not think you would be running on simple XP.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a lot guys. Now that you have confirmed that i can connect 320 GB plus my existing 80 GB then can someone tell me the shops where i can buy one and the prices in Kolkata. Someone said i can get 320 GB for Rs. 3000. Is it correct?
Is buying from Chandi a good choice?

My existing IDE cable has a grey connector, so i should connect it to my new HD to make it slave,right? The black one is connected to existing Primary 80 GB.

The price of 320 should be 3200-3500.
Yes, You can buy from chadni from shops like vedant, M.D., Jan etc.
Yes connect your Hdd to the grey connector or the middle connector of the cable to make it slave.

OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
Thanks topgear for assuring me to buy from Chandni as i have never bought any hardware myself all this time :shock:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
My pleasure buddy. Just go ahead, buy the hdd ( I'll recommend Seagate ) & have a nice experience.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
all hdd's nowdays comes with cable select mode by default.
You Don't need to do anything with the jumpers - just leave it as it is.
Connect the HDD with the grey connector to make it slave & black or blue to make it master.

BTw post about your Hdd purchase like price, shop name or address etc. @ here :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45694

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom