How is sony DVD writer, suggession please

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
it means Sony doesnt manufacture their own drives, they buy OEM drives from LiteON,BTC... and rebadged them as SOny drives and sell them,plain and simple.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
So whats the conclusion?
Which one is the BEST?
cauz I'm also planning to buy DVD writer.
I was thinking of SONY, but seems they don't manufacture it.
So pls suggest which one should I go 4?
Is there ne special h/w requirement for a DVD writer?
Like how much RAM, etc.
My assembler told me that the s/w of DVD writer will not work properly on my comp, cauz it has only 128 SD RAM.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Recently got a SONY DRU800A for Rs 3800 in Kolkata and already burnt 25 DVDs withou ne hitches or problems.

AlienTech

In the zone
Sony might be a liteon but the firmware is different and works much better. Not for all media but the Sony added media gives much better write results than the el cheapo liteon college grad write strats.

I think the LG 5163 is the only one with litescribe capability.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
AlienTech said:
I think the LG 5163 is the only one with litescribe capability.

is it LG4163B or 5163 ? now i am getting confused. which is the latest LG ?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
just wanna know if any of these are Light Scribe compatible ?

AFAIK, BenQ DW1625 is Lightscribe capable so is LG 5163.No idea about other models.

Sony might be a liteon but the firmware is different and works much better. Not for all media but the Sony added media gives much better write results than the el cheapo liteon college grad write strats.
I know firwares make a lot of difference but even if you specifically tweak a firmware for a specific media code,there is very little chance that the scans would improve from worse to excellent on LiteOn/Sony Drives on a mediocre media.I ahve already said that LiteOn/Sony will give good scans on media like TY,Ricohjpn.... :wink:

is it LG4163B or 5163 ? now i am getting confused. which is the latest LG ?

5163 is expected but not sure if it has hit the market so...4163B is the latest one that is AVAILABLE in the market. :wink:

AlienTech

In the zone
I know firwares make a lot of difference but even if you specifically tweak a firmware for a specific media code,there is very little chance that the scans would improve from worse to excellent on LiteOn/Sony Drives on a mediocre media.I ahve already said that LiteOn/Sony will give good scans on media like TY,Ricohjpn.... :wink:

Actually there is a huge difference. True that you cant get a good burn using cheap media. Most chinese made disks are real crap. There is a huge techonology leap going form CD's to DVD's but they still use those cd equipmenet which works but not very well. Just like some european makers who's media looks great like plasmon but the writes to it are horrible.

But Sony also uses different testing equipmenet. The problem with liteon was they di dnot have the latest alignmenet equipmenet to check their drives and were still using the older ones. Not only that but the media tech chipsets were real flakey. Seems the stuff is much cleaner but still not like the old liteon cd quality. There is enough of a difference that even using the Sony firmware on the liteon drives gives much better results.
Of course liteon works on DVD+R media. So thats not a problem it seems. But even now +R media is hard to find in india. I had to pay rs100-rs150 to get them and they are all jewel cased ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom