How is sony DVD writer, suggession please

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
The best in the market in terms of DVD writer is the Benq 1640 which is not available in the Indian market. That leaves the Benq 1620 which is available here and se cond best. Then comes the Sony DRU-720A which I personally own and to date no issues with it. Very stable.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Sony dru 800A here. It's cd recogition time in xp is pathetic; around 12secs! Other than that I am quite happy with it. Reads and writes a lot to a variety of disks. Reads all of the scratched disks that I've tried.
Get the latest Asus writers if u can.

Satissh S

Youngling
Full marks for sony here! I bought Double Layer sony DVD Writer that can write approx. 8.4 GB of Data on a single DVD. Software bundle is also good with Nero suite. They also offer u a replacable front panel just in case u hav a black color chassis. :idea:

Charley

Just Do It
icecoolz said:
Then comes the Sony DRU-720A which I personally own and to date no issues with it. Very stable.

Got the same too - sony 720 A, 16x dual layer .. It works fine ... Nice piece

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
darklord said:
Stay away from Sony.
Get Benq DW1620/DW1640 or LG 4163B or Pioneer 108D.

Why stay away from Sony ? Care to elaborate ? Everywhere I have read good reviews on the drive and I personally have had no issues at all with it till date. So I would like to know why is it that you have that opinion.

S

sunnydiv

sony daru 720a here, yes man recognition time is horrifying, rest all is fine and i got it for a steal (4100) :) :) :)

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well Sony drives are basically rebadged LiteOn/BTC Drives.

LiteOn CD Writers were awesome,thats why Sony CD-R are good.

I dont say that LiteOn DVD-RW are bad but they perform well only with good quality media.

I myself had an Iomega drive which was a 812S drive.

Flashed numerous firmwares but the C1/C2 scans were not at all good.
I tried Moser Baer DVD+R 4X media which is a very good media,gave bad results.

So i didnt even dare writing on cheapo media.

Basically in DVD Writers or in DVD Writers in particular,the write quality is more important than anything.For example if the write quality is bad,meaning C1/C2 errors are more then these DVDs sometimes are unreadable over period of time.

Thats why i say stay away from Sony or LiteOn.Its better if i refrain from speaking anything about BTC.... :lol:

These problems are not experience in the models i recommended and pricing is also quite in the same range for all drives.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
sunnydiv said:
sony daru 720a here, yes man recognition time is horrifying, rest all is fine and i got it for a steal (4100) :) :) :)

Then I got mine for a heist (Sony dru 800a @Rs.4100) :)

Here's good reviews of many dvd writers:

Sony dru 800a
Liteon 1673s
Benq DW1625
LG GSA-4163b

imjimmy

Broken In
Get Benq DW1620/DW1640 or LG 4163B or Pioneer 108D

The Benq and the Pioneer rock! But LG pretty much sucks!

In the Indian market i think a Sony(rebadged Liteon) would be better than a LG for sure. I know of 2 LG drives that were defective. One was DOA. And the other had to be replaced thrice.

Try and get a Benq. Dw1640 is available if you look properly. Or you can wait for a few days for ready availibility. Both the BENQ and the Pioneer would be better than the Liteon.

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
Thanx for Suggession

At Present from your openion , I have decided to buy a sony . The price they are saying is 3600. Is it OK?

digen

Youngling
For which model are they stating 3.6k?
I too own a Sony DRU 720A.No issues whatsoever till now.Just got the DRU-800A for a friend & he reports its doing fine. :D
My first preference would have been the Benq one but due to availability had to settle for a sony.

hsnayvid

Journeyman
go for pioneer DVR - 109/A09.
I'm planning for the same.

for more details see the review:

*www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=9&t=9764

all of the new writers are reviewed here!

darklord

Cyborg Agent
imjimmy said:
Get Benq DW1620/DW1640 or LG 4163B or Pioneer 108D

The Benq and the Pioneer rock! But LG pretty much sucks!

In the Indian market i think a Sony(rebadged Liteon) would be better than a LG for sure. I know of 2 LG drives that were defective. One was DOA. And the other had to be replaced thrice.

Have you even used the LG 4163B ?
It is the fastest writer on the market today.But still it doesnt compromise on quality.
Gives amazing scans.

LG was never regarded great in optical drives but this drive is amazing,i tell this from my personal experience after using BenQ 1640,Pioneer 108D,LiteOn 812S,LG 4163B....

kaysquare

Journeyman
Sony is basically a LITEON with a premium charged for sony name.

I suugest you to try to get a BenQ or LG. Personally I own a Samsung TS-H552B. No issues with tht either. I use it toburn home movies shot with my camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom