How does one get spam SMS's to stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I keep receiving spam SMSes from some guy trying to sell slim sauna belts and other junk.

Any idea how I can get it to stop?
Can I complaint to some authority?

The SMSes arrive from the number: 9918005540
This obviously has to be a VOIP switch. Any idea who hosts this? I could try complaining directly to the host.

evewin89

In the zone
few months back i also received such type of sms frm some unknown no. but now a days i don't get such sms frm any no.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Complaining is not gonna do much good.
Most of these messages are sent from unregistered telemarketers.
They send these messages in series. Ex: from 9820098200 to 9820099200....geez....that makes 1000 people.
Most of them use disposable mobile no, or the connection is terminated after use.
If you try to callup the no. sending the SMS, you will almost never receive any reply. some of these, even use display names instead of nos. It thus makes almost impossible to track the no. without help from your cellular operator.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
^^ I am aware of that.

That is exactly why I am not going to the police. Coz I know its going to be useless.
Too bad our laws are pathetic. They prevent 3G rollout, but cant block a bunch of telemarketers.

This morning it was about some horoscope rings or something.'

I guess I will follow what evewin89 said, and wait it out.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Now telemarketers have stopped calling people registered for DNC but have started sms like that. I receive such messages regularly. Nothing can be done till TRAI comes forward to create DNS (Do not SMS) registry.

moshel

Padawan
^^ DNS...lol...

i used to get every 3-4 messages telling me that there was 11,000 rs. discount at sonodyne, the sender used to be GSi edu.

when we receive a message and the sender name is like vodafone or times etc, then that means they must have registered with that carrier or atleast somewhere to enable them to send messages right?

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
Nope.

They simply beam 11 charecters as a CLI, instead of numbers, which your carrier faithfully transmits. Its quite easy and cheap to do actually.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
You should definitely call your service provider, though I doubt that will help. I also receive sms from various people advertising their products or services. I have also received msgs saying I had won a prize of 100000pound or dollars, twice. you will just have to learn to ignore these messages. delete them as soon as they arrive or else you will be likely to get lured some day.

G33K n G4M3R

PC Addicted
Just today I received a message telling me that I have won 500,000 in Int'l Mobile Draw.
After searching on Google,I found that I am not the only one.

And William Henry Gates III said that spam will be history in two years.
Was he talking about spam or Pam?

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
You cant go blaming Mr. Gates for just because some people have no sense of ethics.

Plus, most VIOP servers operate of Linux......

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
i wonder what would happen if someone got lured, the service providers must warn the users through SMSs. Everybody is not savvy enough to understand that its not real.

Its time we got spam filter in our cellphones too. i think there will be a day when programmers will think 10 hours for securing software compared to 1 or 2 minutes to actually program them.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
And most of the SMS spams I get everyday (10+ everyday) are from BSNL itself. They want me to have all of ringtones and other stuffs available in their database. #FAIL. :-x

G33K n G4M3R

PC Addicted
You cant go blaming Mr. Gates for just because some people have no sense of ethics.

Plus, most VIOP servers operate of Linux......
I just said it cause Mr. Gates stated that spam will be history in two years and we are nowhere close to stopping it.Plus what I said about him was just a joke.

And most of the SMS spams I get everyday (10+ everyday) are from BSNL itself. They want me to have all of ringtones and other stuffs available in their database. #FAIL. :-x
I think you can get yourself registered with that "Do Not Disturb" Registry. Atleast Vodafone, Airtel have that.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
BSNL CC says if you switch off the info service, those messages stop. I did not find any such settings activated, pls someone try & tell if it works, & if it does, how?
for vodafone sms "start DND" (without qoutes) to 1909 (it works in Kolkata, don't know about other places). However this works only for messages coming from the service provider.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
DND registry is for stopping calls only. And even after registering for this, service provider can send you their own promotional messages to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom