How can I uninstall WinXP for install Win98 SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aathif

Broken In
Hi to all,

I have WinXP, Proff in my system.

I want to install win98 SE. I have both the CDs. I can't install win98 SE with WinXP prof, Hence I have try to format my c: to unistall winXP to first install win98 SE. But, when I try to format c: with Command Prompt the system displays below mentioned message

D:\>format c:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N)? y
Verifying 10001M

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

D:\>

So, How can I uninstall WinXP for install Win98 SE.

Please help me :cry:

saROMan

QA Juggler
well bud r u tryin to format thru XP ??? coz if u do ..it wonn work...u will need to boot thru floppy/CD to format Xp ..also...there is no need to format Xp to install 98..there are many threads here where the procedure to install 98 after XP r given plz do a search for them

Tech&ME

Banned
Hi Hi aathif , u are trying to format the same volume which is actually running or is active. U cannot format a active volume though DOS prompt in Windows XP since DOS is a part of XP itself. Its not like Windows 98 where DOS is separate. There is no PURE DOS in XP.

Now as far as formating is conserned, just insert the windows XP or Windows 98 in your CD Rom drive and then re-start, let the system boot from this CD and then you can format the C: drive and install windows 98 as well.

Or u can follow what saROMan said, since there are ways in which you will be able to install win98 without removing winXP.

expertno.1

Technomancer
yes saroman is right
u don't need to format harddisk for insatlling 98
visit here to install 98 after xp

www.petri.co.il/install_windows_98_after_windows_xp.htm

also for your solution
u boot from the win 98 setup cd and select format and install during the process .

it wil format it

or

have a boot disc or floppy ?

start the comp with its support and then use the fromat command it will work

hope it solves your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom