Status
Not open for further replies.

technoteen

Journeyman
i dont know if it works because havent tried it
got to
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\
and the copy all the files and folders there to a safe location
then reinstall windows and got to windows update site and start any one of the installations and exit it
now copy the saved files to the folder replacing the files in it C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
and again go to the the windows update site and install all the previous updates, now it wont download all the updates but just simply take from the folder and install them.
again a warning that i have not done this but just predicting that this should work so take care while doing so

technoteen

Journeyman
ok i assumed that you have sp2 installed, because steps have been tried only on it cause it saves the downlaod updates
you can save the installation for individual update you have installed
go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
this folder contains the dowloaded files from windows update
copy the files from there to any new folder,
now in the newly copied files you can see the information about the files by seeing their properties,Version
most of the windows update are self installing files so rename all the files with .exe extension and their you are they work, the installation works fine
some files are not .exe files and if they dont work, try.cab for them but i dont know how to install them
their will be one 38 kb file which is eula for sp2 so you can read it with notepad and rename it txt,
their will be one 45 Kb file which is .cab and i dont know what it is for
the other files willl be downloaded updates so you should first rename all of them as .exe and try,if they work fine else try .cab
for me all the files are .exe except for my sound card drivers update which is again .cab
now save alll those working exe updates to safe location and reinstall windows
after reinstallation is complete use the saved updates and after that visit windows updates for those updates which were in .cab format and we were not able to save them
i think this post is more reliable than previous one

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
yeah right..... inside C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

copy all the stuff and change their extensions to .exe and .cab and look who's icon changes properly andw works.... name it what they' are and backup ;-)

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
btw...if u r using win xp sp1, ur auto update files will be stored in c:\program files\WindowsUpdate\
the windowsupdate folder is hidden and u wil have to check the Show All Files in folder options to access it...and the update files will be visible as .exe files only after they have completely downloaded (its .bac files when they r not completely downloaded....
and whether u r using sp2 or sp1, copy all the files to some other folder before u install the updates...coz after the installation, they get deleted...
:)

technoteen

Journeyman
@sreevirus
no thise files are not deleted in case of sp2, they are always stored in the above given location
and ya your are correct about sp1 or no sp but the files wil there only for the duration when you are insalling those updates, as soon as the installation is complete, windows delete them - so you cannot get installations for your previeous updates

G

gxsaurav

U can download the files as exe manually while Windows Update, but the drivers for monitor etc are too small, 13 or 14 KB only that U can install again,as they are small

The tricks mentioned above might not work always

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom