Hookah as bad as cigarettes: WHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hookah as bad as cigarettes: WHO

GENEVA: Water-pipe smoking may pose the same health risks as cigarettes, the World Health Organization said on Tuesday, adding that more scientific research was needed into the link between hookah use and a number of fatal illnesses.

"Using a water pipe to smoke tobacco is not a safe alternative to cigarette smoking," the UN health agency said in a seven-page document on the practice. "Contrary to ancient lore and popular belief, the smoke that emerges from a water pipe contains numerous toxicants known to cause lung cancer, heart disease and other diseases."

The WHO "advisory note" warned that using water pipes to consume shisha — a mixture of tobacco, molasses and fruit flavours — usually exposes a person to more smoke over a longer period of time than do cigarettes. Preliminary research indicates that hookah smoking poses many of the same dangers as cigarettes and may involve "some unique health risks", the agency said.

A hookah is a bowl connected to a vase of water with a long tube and mouthpiece. The tobacco sits inside the bowl with a layer of foil and a hot coal on top. The shisha is never lit, instead heated by the charcoal, which smokers say produces a vapour different from smoke.

The hookah, used for centuries in North Africa, the Middle East and Central and South Asia, has become increasingly popular in the United States, Europe and Brazil, particularly among college students and young adults.

NO SMOKING.QUIT SMOKING.
:cool:

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but i just realized that the hookah thats available in popular hangout joints like Mocha(i personally think they are sh1t) does infact conatin tobaco. 0.5% i think. and mocha folks dont even disclose this - you goto ask some fellow personally and then they tell .. I am so suing them x(

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
let me get this straight .. smoking tobacco is for adults only.. hmm
and i am not a kid, i dont smoke out of choice. i think some said it killed us.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Mumbai Mayor requested all females to quit Hookah.

And I think this topic I can promote this.

narangz

Web developer
Who said in first place that hookah is safe? Govt. should ban tobacco but well it earns them huge money so people can die, atleast India's population will decrease :D

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
There are some non-tobacco hookah's that are coming up. Its like root-beer or friut beer. just to give you a good feel. I thought Mocha gave those .. didnt know they too had tobacco

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I don't smoke cigarettes but I did smoke hookah once at Mochas. I thought there was no tobacco in it.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
^^ Hookahs contain tobacco.

You gotta be kiddin me! :shock: Say it isn't so! That thing was fun and I was planning to go there again sometime. But if it contains tobacco, then no more visits to Mochas for me. :(

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Wkipedia:

Health risks

Research has shown that hookah sessions are more threatening to a person's health than smoking cigarettes. Each hookah session typically lasts from 20 - 80 minutes and consists of 50 - 200 puffs which range from 0.15 - 1 litre per puff. This exposes the hookah smoker to considerably more smoke over a longer time period compared with a cigarette which ranges from 0.5 - 0.6 liters per cigarette. While the water absorbs some of the nicotine in the tobacco smoke, the smoker can be exposed to enough nicotine to cause addiction. Furthermore, the water moisture induced by the hookah makes the smoke less irritating and may give a false sense of security and reduce concerns about true health effects.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
You gotta be kiddin me! :shock: Say it isn't so! That thing was fun and I was planning to go there again sometime. But if it contains tobacco, then no more visits to Mochas for me. :(
I got tricked too :( :(
I kicked my friends bu++ though .. The mocha ones conatin about 5% tobacco.
And yeah its VERY addictive.

dr_jimit

Journeyman
Re: Hookah as bad as cigarettes: WHO, and my views

Hello Friends

People Have a false sense of security from SO called " NO-TOBACO" Hukkah, but i have many concerns after reading this report.

1. the report says it has chances to get "infections" from other people who r taking breaths with u / previously used that same hukkah.
WHO says - TB , Hepatitis B , etc.
if u take new mouth piece, chance of hepatitis B are very less,[NEVER NEVER SHARE MOUTHPIECE]
But Chances of TB remains / increase , cos TB bacteria can spread via air. and all those waiters from bangladesh / nepal also blow huge amount of air in it along with ur friends[ He Bhagwan ! ]

2. Passive smoking
u r not the 1 who has non tobaco hukkah at that place
look around and u may find tobco hukkah takers also.
Now think about 1 breath exheld of cigarette and 1 from hukkah = 0.15 to 1 liter in hukkah
this is huge amount of exposure passively u get from other smokers.

3. For a while accept that there is no tobaco in it [ although Maverick340 ,iMav have told us that these people do use tobaco(they must be doing to get u addicted) ]
what about the COAL they have used to get fumes
WHO clearly says that in non tobacco hukkahs also this exposure of "toxicants known to cause lung cancer, heart disease and other diseases" , It remains SAME.

Anyways i have been at mochas at mumbai once and Shishas at surat once,
after that I have read this WHO Report as a doctor,
And now I have no plan to go there again,[ though i liked Methi Mutter Malai at mochas]

And Believe me WHO guidelines are GOLD STANDARDS for all over the world, they r not like any Tom DIck and Harry 's researchs u read everyday in newspapers.

Waiting for WHO's study on Mobiles to get completed....

Thanks for making this thread, keep it alive, ask me if u want to .

Dr. Jimit Vadgama
M.B.B.S.
Surat

Last edited:

narangz

Web developer
That was an informative post, Doc. :) I see you are a very old member here.

Is the attachment corrupt or is there some problem on my end?

dr_jimit

Journeyman
This is direct link from WHO website

*www.who.int/tobacco/global_interaction/tobreg/Waterpipe recommendation_Final.pdf

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Re: Hukkah as bad as cigarettes: WHO

Hukkah (using tobacco) is as bad as cigarettes if not less.

I think Hukkah and Cigarettes both are bad. there should be complete ban..

i did try that at Hukkah in Priya complex a year back.. man it was hell, I don't know how the other people were doing it , or they just showing off .. who cares.. I hated it.
and on latter visits, I have found that young kids are the major takers of the Hukkah at that place. thats also an alarming thing.

Hukkah in acient india was used with herbs I think, tobacco came lateron, :!:

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ Dude, I was at a hang-out place day before, Creppe Station, famous for hookah, you could hardly breathe, it was Hookah all around, people were covered in smoke all over!

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Ha ha, history repeats itself, but only in different forms.
Yesterday we had cigarettes, today hooka bars.
Yesterday we had beer-bars, today we have alcoholic beverages
and so on for many things....

Its like 'naye packet mein cheez purani, aur daam bhi jyaada' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom