Honor 10 vs OnePlus 6: Post your opinions!

When it comes to Kirin 970 vs Snapdragon 845, the Kirin’s NPU might have an edge but there’s no must-have use case for smartphone machine learning or “AI” yet. Even large percentage points gained or lost in some specific benchmarks isn’t going to make or break the main user experience. All current machine learning tasks can be done on a DSP or even a regular CPU and GPU. An NPU is just a small cog in a much larger system. Dedicated hardware can give an advantage to battery life and performance, but it’s going to be tough for consumers to notice a massive difference given their limited exposure to the applications.
As the machine learning market place evolves and more applications break through, smartphones with dedicated hardware will probably benefit — potentially they’re a bit more future proofed (unless the hardware requirements change). Industry-wide adoption appears to be inevitable, what with MediaTech and Qualcomm both touting machine learning capabilities in lower cost chips, but it’s unlikely the speed of an onboard NPU or DSP is ever going to be the make or break factor in a smartphone purchase.
They are futureproof but it depends a lot on if Huawei will update it in future to better utilize it

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Coming to Honor, they need to bring in the supercharger in India first and then think of shifting to the wireless one.
Hope their next phone's like the p 20 mate series will be without a notch. Bumper sale is going on their phones btw.
Meanwhile Oppo made a 50W charging standard (Super VOOC). Expect Oneplus phones to get it sometime in the future.

P series is from Huawei, not Honor.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Simple, cost-cutting. I don't know what they are trying to save when its already overpriced comparatively.
They've saved nothing. Their powers is inconsequential compared to customers'.
Couldn't prevent myself from entering an Infinity War dialogue here

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
When it comes to Kirin 970 vs Snapdragon 845, the Kirin’s NPU might have an edge but there’s no must-have use case for smartphone machine learning or “AI” yet. Even large percentage points gained or lost in some specific benchmarks isn’t going to make or break the main user experience. All current machine learning tasks can be done on a DSP or even a regular CPU and GPU. An NPU is just a small cog in a much larger system. Dedicated hardware can give an advantage to battery life and performance, but it’s going to be tough for consumers to notice a massive difference given their limited exposure to the applications.
As the machine learning market place evolves and more applications break through, smartphones with dedicated hardware will probably benefit — potentially they’re a bit more future proofed (unless the hardware requirements change). Industry-wide adoption appears to be inevitable, what with MediaTech and Qualcomm both touting machine learning capabilities in lower cost chips, but it’s unlikely the speed of an onboard NPU or DSP is ever going to be the make or break factor in a smartphone purchase.
Smaller part would not be able to compensate for shortcomings of the main parts. No matter how hard they try to improve NPU or DSP, if the main CPU, GPU are not powerful enough, the entire SoC would not be worth discussing about.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes, recently Huawei beats Apple to become the second-largest smartphone maker.
What does that have to do with updates?
Meanwhile Oppo made a 50W charging standard (Super VOOC). Expect Oneplus phones to get it sometime in the future.

P series is from Huawei, not Honor.
Who cares about fast, dash, vooc etc. Honor just needs to provide a decent charger that is fast. 10-15 minutes more or less don't matter.

Charchit Sharma

Journeyman
Smaller part would not be able to compensate for shortcomings of the main parts. No matter how hard they try to improve NPU or DSP, if the main CPU, GPU are not powerful enough, the entire SoC would not be worth discussing about.
Yes true ! but in the case of AI, only those wins who have the good dataset, not the one who has the good algorithm. So, if NPU is able to dissect the dataset which here is the images, videos etc onboard for better processing it can win on some use cases.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Who cares about fast, dash, vooc etc. Honor just needs to provide a decent charger that is fast. 10-15 minutes more or less don't matter.
"fast" can differ from person to person. For someone who is using a 5W charger (iphone users :lol: ) 10W ones would be 2x but that 10W charger has been a standard on every other phone.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
"fast" can differ from person to person. For someone who is using a 5W charger (iphone users ) 10W ones would be 2x but that 10W charger has been a standard on every other phone.
Touche. Personally if some charger charges the phone in 30 minutes and say my fast charger does it in 50-60 minutes then I am fine with it. Waiting for SHITpple's version of the same. Then the sheeps will say that it is the fastest of them all.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Anyone can be on top if they try or make something useful for the customers which are affordable, easily accessible. That means they are working.
Well don't get offended but was SHITpple working when they were in top 2? Honor's sale has risen not because of the updates but because of their strategies and some good looking phones, yes the notch and the skin sucks.

True but Dash charging charges very quickly till 60% or so, which is somewhat better compared to something like what my Samsung one, which has an almost consistent charging speed till 85-90%. But overall being 15 mins slower when total charging time is less than 2 hrs isn't that significant for sure.

Well don't get offended but was SHITpple working when they were in top 2? Honor's sale has risen not because of the updates but because of their strategies and some good looking phones, yes the notch and the skin sucks.
They work on their marketing more than the phone itself, apparently. I wonder how long will their fan base & "status symbol" drive the sales & profits. They are worth $1 trillion now.

Charchit Sharma

Journeyman
I won't, they failed in some market, they are currently focusing on Wearables, and rumors are that they are launching 6.1-inch version of X in China and dual sim. So, probably they will be on top again. China loves large screen phones I don't know why.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I won't, they failed in some market, they are currently focusing on Wearables, and rumors are that they are launching 6.1-inch version of X in China and dual sim. So, probably they will be on top again. China loves large screen phones I don't know why.

Source for that?
Well I have to give a bow to SHITpple's marketing department for all that hype.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Source for that?
Well I have to give a bow to SHITpple's marketing department for all that hype.

Well their marketing team do deserve some credits but You gotta give equal credits to the Americans too! And the Oriental people (esp from China, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysians) who simply wanna be white folks in the US of A. Dont ask how I know - its a long story. But I have friends & extended family members in all these regions & they have interacted with the locals. You will be surprised at the way they adore White people from US & disdain other races esp if one is black or from African-American lineage.

Well their marketing team do deserve some credits but You gotta give equal credits to the Americans too! And the Oriental people (esp from China, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysians) who simply wanna be white folks in the US of A. Dont ask how I know - its a long story. But I have friends & extended family members in all these regions & they have interacted with the locals. You will be surprised at the way they adore White people from US & disdain other races esp if one is black or from African-American lineage.
Indians are the same. Many Chinese are like that as well from what I heard.

Top Bottom