Hidden hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 5901

LETZ MAKE THIS EASIER DO U SEE THE HDD IN UR BIOS ????

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
achacko@dataone.in said:
expertno.1 said:
this is really a bit complicated guys

can achacko@dataone.in explain what he had done from the begining ?

For Gods sake look at the 1st post of the thread.

It says the drive was hidden cos of the bad sectors, I wanna unhide it now as I have free space on it.

Your query was

'I have a drive that is hidden. It is a standalone drive and not partitioned. How do I bring it up. I could use that to store data.'

Clarify what according to you means 'HIDDEN'.
There can be various interpretations.
I interpret it as physically connected to the computer but hidden in the OS
If thats what you mean then check if the disk is detected in your bios.
If yes then boot into windows.
You said it is a single drive with no partitions but maybe you mean it does not have multiple partitions cos there has to be one primary partition for the disk to function(ie c:) and depending on your OS you will have to unhide that partition.
If you are using windows XP you can do it in explorer from the manage option(search the forum for clues)
If u are running win9x then use any third partu utility like Partition magic etc and make the only partition on the 2nd hdd visible.
Beware win9x does not support multiple primary partitions but it is unlikely to have any problems.
As you said ur engineer had hidden the disk due to bad sectors
so after rebooting run fdisk and delete the partition on the second disk and
again recreate it.
REboot in msdos mode and perform a full format on the raw partition with the file system fat/fat32 etc.
Scan the partition for errors using scandisk .
Perform a complete surface scan.The bad sectors will be marked and the
drive would be ready for storing data.

If the disk is physically disconnected then reconnect the ide cable and power.Ensure that there is no conflict ie. If ur connecting 2 disks make sure one is master n the other is slave. Boot from the first hdd and the new partition will be available in my cmputer.Run a through surface scan with scandisk in windows to mark the bad sectors.

D

Deleted member 5901

amitsaudy said:
achacko@dataone.in said:
expertno.1 said:
this is really a bit complicated guys

can achacko@dataone.in explain what he had done from the begining ?

For Gods sake look at the 1st post of the thread.

It says the drive was hidden cos of the bad sectors, I wanna unhide it now as I have free space on it.

Your query was

'I have a drive that is hidden. It is a standalone drive and not partitioned. How do I bring it up. I could use that to store data.'

If thats what you mean then check if the disk is detected in your bios.
If yes then boot into windows.
You said it is a single drive with no partitions but maybe you mean it does not have multiple partitions cos there has to be one primary partition for the disk to function(ie c:) and depending on your OS you will have to unhide that partition.
If you are using windows XP you can do it in explorer from the manage option(search the forum for clues)
If u are running win9x then use any third partu utility like Partition magic etc and make the only partition on the 2nd hdd visible.
Beware win9x does not support multiple primary partitions but it is unlikely to have any problems.
As you said ur engineer had hidden the disk due to bad sectors
so after rebooting run fdisk and delete the partition on the second disk and
again recreate it.
REboot in msdos mode and perform a full format on the raw partition with the file system fat/fat32 etc.
Scan the partition for errors using scandisk .
Perform a complete surface scan.The bad sectors will be marked and the
drive would be ready for storing data.

If the disk is physically disconnected then reconnect the ide cable and power.Ensure that there is no conflict ie. If ur connecting 2 disks make sure one is master n the other is slave. Boot from the first hdd and the new partition will be available in my cmputer.Run a through surface scan with scandisk in windows to mark the bad sectors.

amitsaudy Has given the answer !!!
There is not better reply to ur Question !!!

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
amitsaudy said:

Right&Exact. :)

You said it is a single drive with no partitions

Right, no partitions only a disk[1.4GB] :)

@ Saroman - Dude, tried it but doesnt work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom