hey guys in which bank should i open my account for steam and origin

anuragsinghh

Broken In
i'm going to open a account in a bank but i'm really confused because my main motto for this account is for purchasing games from steam , origin , game4u and flipkart etc so what do i need for this ? credit card or debit card or both ? and how can i get these from my bank , so guys please share your online purchase experiences with your banks so i can see which bank is best for me .

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Just ask for a Credit Card from your bank that's it you are good to go.

I would say go for Master Card over VISA cause there some things money can't buy for everything else there's Master Card :lol:.

Last edited:

Vignesh B

Youngling
+1 for credit card. For transaction with any of the Indian merchants a debit card is enough. Only Axis bank's debit card is known to work on "some" of the foreign merchants.
I do suggest, if you are an employed person ask for a credit card from the bank where you have your salary account. Usually banks(say ICICI/Axis/HDFC) ask applicants to open an FD account with an auto-renewal facility. So it virtually removes all the students/unemployed. The minimum amount is Rs 20,000 and the maximum Rs 3 lakh. The credit limit on the card is pegged at 85 per cent of the FD amount. The bank then marks a lien on the entire fixed deposit amount. This means the depositor cannot break the FD as long as he holds the card. Only the interest can be withdrawn.
Getting a debit-card is much more easier. Almost every bank issues one on opening an account.

bippukt

In the zone
My ICICI Debit Card now works on Steam, Origin, Gamersgate, Paypal etc without any need for Verified by Visa.

But I would also suggest that you use a Credit Card as it is safer to use them online rather than Debit Cards. If you must use a Debit Card, then make sure that the account with which it is linked doesn't have too much money. I use one with just 20-30k, so that even if I get scammed somehow, it is not a big blow.

My ICICI Debit Card now works on Steam, Origin, Gamersgate, Paypal etc without any need for Verified by Visa.

But I would also suggest that you use a Credit Card as it is safer to use them online rather than Debit Cards. If you must use a Debit Card, then make sure that the account with which it is linked doesn't have too much money. I use one with just 20-30k, so that even if I get scammed somehow, it is not a big blow.

maybe you are confusing debit and credit.

Vignesh B

Youngling
True. Credit cards offer buyer protections that are unavailable to debit card users. Suppose, I buy a game and the DVD arrives in poor condition, a dispute can be filed with the credit card company and they will stop payment to the vendor until the dispute has been resolved. The debit card offers no such protection, leaving the cardholder to negotiate with the seller to resolve the dispute.

Alternatively, a debit card is more secure in case of physical loss because of the PIN factor(most of the cards require you to enter the pin even after swiping at a merchant outlet), whereas a physical access of a credit card is a thief's windfall moment.

bippukt

In the zone
True. Credit cards offer buyer protections that are unavailable to debit card users. Suppose, I buy a game and the DVD arrives in poor condition, a dispute can be filed with the credit card company and they will stop payment to the vendor until the dispute has been resolved. The debit card offers no such protection, leaving the cardholder to negotiate with the seller to resolve the dispute.

Alternatively, a debit card is more secure in case of physical loss because of the PIN factor(most of the cards require you to enter the pin even after swiping at a merchant outlet), whereas a physical access of a credit card is a thief's windfall moment.

I completely agree with the 1st paragraph - that was my reason for calling CCs more secure for online purchases. Also, it is a simple fact of life that it is easier to dispute a transaction where you are yet to pay (ie CC bill paid to bank) than to get back the money that you already paid (bank account debited on using a Debit Card).

As far as the Debit Card PIN is concerned - it has become a grey area now. Most of the Debit Cards issues by banks like ICICI, HDFC, AXIS etc now allow a transaction to complete without requiring the PIN. If Verified by Visa/MasterCard SecureCode is enabled for the website, they will ask for it. But for sites like Steam, Gamersgate, Paypal etc, which don't support it, the PIN will not be asked for and transaction allowed. So, the security has reduced now, although convenience has increased. That is why I suggested that if someone has to use a Debit Card, then please use one which is linked to a bank account with less money. You REALLY don't want your debit card with 5,00,000 available balance to be misused!

Top Bottom