• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

Help with upgrade home PC

abhishek

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: I have a 5 year old HP A1522in, which has started having some hardware issues - no display etc.
This has a PentiumD 915, 2 GB RAM, 3 SATA HDD, dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows XP Media center, I want to replace the CPU, motherboard and RAM with possibly i3 or i5, minimum of 4 GB RAM. Existing motherboard is mini-ATX form factor.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 10-15K for i3, 20K for i5/ i7

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Reuse existing Dual boot -Ubuntu, Win XP

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Nothing additional

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Reuse existing 19" 1600x 900 display

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: preferably assembler, because of CPU, fan etc mounting. I have tinked a bit in the past.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Soon

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Should be okay for general home use for next 3 years. I'd really like to get USB 3.0, though i have read of some issues around different cables /connectors for these in the cabinet.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: No new monitor, HDD, Cabinet, PSU, video card
Existing PSU is 250 W, I think

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Mumbai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Gaming not the purpose because I have a PS3.
I hope this motherboard, CPU etc gets replaced in the existing cabinet, reuse the same HDD, monitor etc, and at least work without any major re-install etc.

Thanks.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9400
Motherboard |MSI H67MA-E35 B3|4600
RAM |Corsair VS4GB1333D3 (1 X 4GB)|1100
| Total |15100

OP
A

abhishek

Right off the assembly line
Thanks, this is much appreciated.

I have one doubt regarding the rip and replace of the existing motherboard in terms of the screws/ mountings etc. Would you know if this will fit in as-is ? The reason I ask this is because I saw a mismatch in the dimensions of the MB, even though the form factors are similar.

Existing: 24.4 cm x 24.4 cm ; Micro-ATX
New: 24.5cm(L) x 21.5cm(W) ; M-ATX Form Factor

Abhishek

Cilus

laborare est orare
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9400
Motherboard |MSI H67MA-E35 B3|4600
RAM |Corsair VS4GB1333D3 (1 X 4GB)|1100
| Total |15100

I don't think an old 250W PSU is capable enough to run the above mentioned system. Get at least some local 500W PSU from Zebronics, Frontech or other brands.
abhishek, I think the suggested mobo will fit but not sure because branded desktops sometime have very specific cabinet design. Since your budget is 20K for i5, get the Intel DH67BL-B3 motherboard @ 5.2K

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I don't think an old 250W PSU is capable enough to run the above mentioned system. Get at least some local 500W PSU from Zebronics, Frontech or other brands.
abhishek, I think the suggested mobo will fit but not sure because branded desktops sometime have very specific cabinet design. Since your budget is 20K for i5, get the Intel DH67BL-B3 motherboard @ 5.2K

Sorry for this, as I overlooked the 250W PSU part. :(

Top Bottom