Help! Upgrading my Core 2 duo Rig.

deadcode00

Broken In
hi guys i need to upgrade my 5 year old rig. my current config is (processor) core 2 duo e6600 2.4ghz.. (graphic card) hd 6850.. (psu) corsair gs 600.. (ram) 2.5gb ddr2.. (mobo) asus p5gcmx.. (monitor) dell s2240l 22inch...(hard drive) 2.6 Tb seagate.. total of 3 harddrive 160 gb,500gb,2Tb ) ..

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:I'm a 3d artist (software using - max, maya, zbrush,unreal,marmoset toolbag,ndo,photoshop) and i do play games aswell (crysis series,cod series,bf3,bioshock,farcry3,)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:My overall budget is 30000rs (can add 2000rs more if needed)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 8pro 64bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:i already have 2.6Tb already .

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Graphic card, psu ,Monitor,hardrive,optical drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:1 Month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:i'll do it myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Raipur (Chhatisgarh) I'll buy locally .. but can buy online as-well in case of non availability.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: well i have chosen this components after reading so many thread in the forum.

processor- amd fx 8350 - 12000rs
Mobo- Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 -7000rs
ram- gskill 8 gb - 5000rs
Cabinet - corsair 400r - 4900rs ( i really love this cabinet my old iball cabinet is just not good enough.)

total 28900

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think G-Skill single 8 GB 1600 MHz Ram stick is available at 4.2K in Theitwares.com.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
Yeah thanks cilus its available for 4000 rs.. Btw i neva bought anything from itware.. Is it safe and reliable? Btw can i use a ram more than 1600 mhz on my current chosen mobo. Will there be any noticable difference.. And is it a good idea to overclock the amd processor for long run.. I want a stable system in the end.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
Anyone want to suggest something else? Or share some views on overclocking? As im new to overclocking nd stuffs.

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
Anyone want to suggest something else? Or share some views on overclocking? As im new to overclocking nd stuffs.

If you will be overclocking, make sure you get a decent CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (~Rs 2,100) or the Hyper TX3 Evo (~Rs 1,300), best VFM coolers in my opinion.
Though FX8350 is far too easy to overclock because of the unlocked multiplier, I'd still recommend going through overclocking guides.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
If you will be overclocking, make sure you get a decent CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (~Rs 2,100) or the Hyper TX3 Evo (~Rs 1,300), best VFM coolers in my opinion.
Though FX8350 is far too easy to overclock because of the unlocked multiplier, I'd still recommend going through overclocking guides.

Will i face any issue if i use overclockd processor for a long time?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Yeah thanks cilus its available for 4000 rs.. Btw i neva bought anything from itware.. Is it safe and reliable? Btw can i use a ram more than 1600 mhz on my current chosen mobo. Will there be any noticable difference.. And is it a good idea to overclock the amd processor for long run.. I want a stable system in the end.

Yes, Theitwares is a very reliable shop and a lot of people here do have experience with them including me.

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
Will i face any issue if i use overclockd processor for a long time?

Until the voltages and the temperatures are low, you won't face any issues. Life span of a processor depends on these two factors.
Overclocking with stock or close to stock voltages and a decent cooler like Hyper 212+ Evo, will make no difference in the processor's lifespan.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
Until the voltages and the temperatures are low, you won't face any issues. Life span of a processor depends on these two factors.
Overclocking with stock or close to stock voltages and a decent cooler like Hyper 212+ Evo, will make no difference in the processor's lifespan.

Thanks for the info. so how much overclocking will be good enough and wont effect the life span of amd 8350 if i use cm hyper 212+ evo with my corsair gs 600? or is there any tuto or thread that i can follow for better understanding? and btw can i overclock my hd 6850? or is it a bad idea?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Basic Rule is Overclock it if You really need that EXTRA horsepower. FX8350 at Stock alone is a beast. You can overclock the HD6850 If required but do mention the Model and make as Coolers of different makes/models are different and offer different OC potential.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
Basic Rule is Overclock it if You really need that EXTRA horsepower. FX8350 at Stock alone is a beast. You can overclock the HD6850 If required but do mention the Model and make as Coolers of different makes/models are different and offer different OC potential.

Im 3d artist so if i can save some render time by overclocking my processor i would really love to do that. And as i read all over the internet amd bulldozer and piledriver processor are great for overclocking i will definitely try to overclock. Btw i have sapphire hd 6850

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
The FX 8350 is capable of hitting 4.8-5Ghz. I guess 4.4Ghz should be attainable in stock voltage which is perfectly safe for long term. For the temperatures, the Hyper 212+ Evo will get the job done. It is in fact, better than some entry level closed-loop liquid coolers.

Coming to the HD6850, they are pretty good in overclocking. Still, it depends on the cooler. I have a MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC, it is a factory overclocked one (860/1100) and it still has tons of overclocking room. What are your idle and load temperatures?

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
The FX 8350 is capable of hitting 4.8-5Ghz. I guess 4.4Ghz should be attainable in stock voltage which is perfectly safe for long term. For the temperatures, the Hyper 212+ Evo will get the job done. It is in fact, better than some entry level closed-loop liquid coolers.

Coming to the HD6850, they are pretty good in overclocking. Still, it depends on the cooler. I have a MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC, it is a factory overclocked one (860/1100) and it still has tons of overclocking room. What are your idle and load temperatures?

My idle temp for sapphire hd 6850 is around 48c and load temp is a 74c without any ac or cooler and its really hot in here this days (74c <<- is it too hot?) well i guess its all because my iball cabby is small and there is no room for good cable management so it does effect the airflow aswell. i think buying a corsair 400r will improve the airflow and improve the temp overall. so what u think can i do some minor overclocking when i buy the corsair 400r?

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
My idle temp for sapphire hd 6850 is around 48c and load temp is a 74c without any ac or cooler and its really hot in here this days (74c <<- is it too hot?) well i guess its all because my iball cabby is small and there is no room for good cable management so it does effect the airflow aswell. i think buying a corsair 400r will improve the airflow and improve the temp overall. so what u think can i do some minor overclocking when i buy the corsair 400r?

The GPU temperatures are not much to worry about, considering high ambient temp. Load temp should drop down to around 68-70 when it isn't too hot and with a better case. Is it a completely stock 6850? (Core: 775MHz/Memory: 1000MHz).

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
The GPU temperatures are not much to worry about, considering high ambient temp. Load temp should drop down to around 68-70 when it isn't too hot and with a better case. Is it a completely stock 6850? (Core: 775MHz/Memory: 1000MHz).

Yeah its completely stock...

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
Yeah its completely stock...

I see. Try taking your card off, clean the dust from the cooler and put it back in. Now, use MSI Afterburner to increase the core clock by 10Mhz, apply and run a graphic intensive game (BF3/Crysis 2/3) on highest possible graphic settings for around 15mins. Keep an eye on temperatures too. If you do not see any visual artifacts or get random freezes and the load temperature stays below 80, go 10Mhz more on core clock. Repeat the tests and stop when you get a load temp of 85 degrees. If you notice any instability like random white dots or freezes during the tests, decrease the core clock by 20 or even 30MHz to be safe. This will be your final overclocked core clock.

Do the same for memory clock and do not change the voltages. It is okay to have GPU temps around 85 while on load.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
I see. Try taking your card off, clean the dust from the cooler and put it back in. Now, use MSI Afterburner to increase the core clock by 10Mhz, apply and run a graphic intensive game (BF3/Crysis 2/3) on highest possible graphic settings for around 15mins. Keep an eye on temperatures too. If you do not see any visual artifacts or get random freezes and the load temperature stays below 80, go 10Mhz more on core clock. Repeat the tests and stop when you get a load temp of 85 degrees. If you notice any instability like random white dots or freezes during the tests, decrease the core clock by 20 or even 30MHz to be safe. This will be your final overclocked core clock.

Do the same for memory clock and do not change the voltages. It is okay to have GPU temps around 85 while on load.

Ok i will try that thanks alot.. Btw can u suggest any more mobo for me rather thn what i have chosen already. Cause i think the one i have selected doesnt have any vga port nd in case my graphic card fail my pc will be of no use. :banghead:

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
Ok i will try that thanks alot.. Btw can u suggest any more mobo for me rather thn what i have chosen already. Cause i think the one i have selected doesnt have any vga port nd in case my graphic card fail my pc will be of no use. :banghead:

Neither the FX series processors, or any of the 9xx series motherboard has integrated graphics. So, no 9xx series comes with a VGA port for basic display. The best thing you could do in case of primary GPU failure is getting an el-cheapo dedicated graphic card like the HD5450. They cost less than Rs 2,000.

OP
deadcode00

deadcode00

Broken In
Neither the FX series processors, or any of the 9xx series motherboard has integrated graphics. So, no 9xx series comes with a VGA port for basic display. The best thing you could do in case of primary GPU failure is getting an el-cheapo dedicated graphic card like the HD5450. They cost less than Rs 2,000.

Lol ok than in case of my main gpu fail i will go for el - chepo card. Thanks :D

Top Bottom