Help, Steam regularly downloads multi-gigabyte updates.

heidi2521

Padawan
Steam regularly downloads multi-gigabyte updates for games and doesn't let me play without downloading them, with the most recent example being an 11 GB update of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. Previously it has tried downloading 20 gb updates for Shogun 2, 5 GB updates for CiV, 8 - 10 GB updates for empire and Napoleon etc. Verifying game cache integrity just resets the progress to zero. The only (legal)workaround i have till now is re-downloading the Witcher from GOG which only helps one game. Valves customer support have been absolutely useless in helping solve this(They always respond by telling me to verify game cache integrity and to re-install the game/steam only to have the same problem reoccur a month or so later) and valve doesn't have any bug report filing system. Due to this my FUP gets used up in 10 - 15 days and using the internet is an absolute pain afterwords. Is there any fix to this?

Soumik

Padawan
Thats a serious problem !!! Thanks for bringing this up, i was thinking of purchasing games from steam lately.
Does this problem happen for having the games' offline mode enabled? If so, u might want to switch it off and try. I heard that to play offline, the client and game needs to be up to date.
Or might be some major bug. Try asking any of your friends with Steam client if they are also getting such huge updates. If not, something wrong with your system client. Take screen shots of the updates and send them to steam support. Keep following it up.

Flash

Lost in speed
I was trying to play 'Blacklight Retribution' provided by TD as a steam app.
Even registered in Steam, but only later to find that it needs to download some Giga-amounts-of-updates to even START the game!

Frustrated and quit the gamE! :(
I will try this OFFLINE mode thingy!
How to Make Steam’s Offline Mode Work - How-To Geek

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I also face this problem. Try unchecking the "read only" attribute of steamapps folder inside steam directory and then try :)

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Ok to get rid of this problem you have to finish that huge gb update first :(.
then,Take a backup.Next time such a problem appears,delete the game and restore from backup
P.S:It worked for me!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Ok to get rid of this problem you have to finish that huge gb update first :(.
then,Take a backup.Next time such a problem appears,delete the game and restore from backup
P.S:It worked for me!

Although its good but he wont be able to play multiplayer of any game that is updated

Flash

Lost in speed
I've installed Blacklight Retribution again!
But, fedup with this MultiGB updates/

I really hate these patch-updates, during 1st time launch! :evil:

Top Bottom