Help on installing SUSE linux 10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shindesushilkumar

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends,
I want to install SUSE linux 10.1.I want help from you on how to install SUSE linux 10.1 . Plz help me.
When i started installation,it erased total partions on hard disk & created it's own partitions.I have lost my whole data.
How to overcome this problem?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Moved to the right section.
Please be more clear on what you want, how can we know what problem are you facing and where are you stuck.
Read this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23597

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
For Guide for Installing Suse 10.1 Linux
Checkout these links for the best help in Installing Suse Linux.

1) *www.novell.com/products/suselinux/installation.html
2) *queens.db.toronto.edu/~nilesh/linux/suse-10.1-install/
3) *www.tweakhound.com/linux/suse/101/installing_1.htm

drsethi

Journeyman
shindesushilkumar said:
Hi friends,
I want to install SUSE linux 10.1.I want help from you on how to install SUSE linux 10.1 . Plz help me.
When i started installation,it erased total partions on hard disk & created it's own partitions.I have lost my whole data.
How to overcome this problem?
It appears that you had Windows installed and then tried to install Linux and due to not caring for instructions for partition creating you have deleted Windows partitions and lost your data!
Now you cannot recover your data. It is permanently lost.
In future if you want both Windows and Linux, then please install as follows--
1. Older version of Windows
2. New version of Windows
3. Linux
Pl follow instructions for creating partitions for Linux carefully.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@DrSethi, looks like he (@Shinde) chose the first option - "Erase the entire harddisk"!!!
It's possible to recover data ( I can't promise how much) using Data Recovery
software. Try recovering data using Data Recovery Wizard Professional 3.0. Download it from here
@Shinde, if you haven't installed Linux, you must ask for help!!

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
I guess u installed with automatic partition mode ! NEVER DO THAT! Next time install with manual partition! DOnt worry about ur data. Its gone! It may be recovered, but chance will be dim!
If u r new to linux, then I suggest to install with manual mode first on a blank hdd! Recognise the partitions u created then!

hda = primary master
hda1 = first partition
hda2 = second partiton and so on!
/ = root partition

If u create partitions well with suse on blank hdd, then only I suggest u to install windows after that ! But installing windows, then linux is better. But u may mess ur windows again! So....
Suppose u got 80 GB hdd, then I suggest that during manual partition mode give

1st partition = 30 GB (Xp,fat32)
2nd = 40 GB (Suse Root partition, ext3 or whateva is default)
3rd = 1 GB (Swap, if u use Oracle etc or else 500 Mb wud be enough)
4th = Remaining GB (Fat32, that can be shared bet windows and linux and used to put songs etc)!

If all goes well Install Xp, u'll urself will recognise Xp 30 Gb partition and install Xp on it! Suse Grub will be lost then, no worry! Install first SUSE CD, enter in repair mode and repair grub)!
At grub prompt type
1. root(hd0,1) i.e primary master,2nd partition(Suse)
2. setup(hd0)
3. Quit

Finally u'll have Xp+Suse installed in place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom