Help : New Destop Properties Virus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_fanatic

Broken In
Hello Team Digit,

I have the latest updated version of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, but it seems that Symantec doesn't knows this type of virus!! How it effects my system: When right-clicking on the desktop and by going to the Properties, the virus or spyware(?) disable all properties options as shows below:

*img59.imageshack.us/img59/4729/desktoppropertieskw4.jpg

i will be very thankful if anyone could identify this type of virus/spyware and how to solve this problem.

P.s. Running on a Windows XP SP-2 Professional Edition.

Thanks.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This is not a virus.

1) Put your Windows XP SP2 CD in the CD drive

2) Start ->Run, type

sfc /scannow.

let it scan & then reboot.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Now under this key, if you find a key with name "System", then delete it. It'll solve your problem.

OP
mr_fanatic

mr_fanatic

Broken In
unfortunately, both of the suggestion suggested by Mr. gx_saurav and Mr.Vishal_Gupta didn't work. Any more suggestion/tips? I think its a virus because since USB Pen Drive are becoming popular these days, we have used it a lots from my colleague and friends. Thanks.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
how can u besure its a Virus ?? any AVS detected any ?? and those 2 suggestion are Generel Commonlly used for these type of problems... :)

anyway, if u think u have Virus, then try downloading this tool called HijackThis, then scan ur PC with it, and Post the log file here either copy-paste or attach the file...

P.S. None of us here is Related Team Digit :) max of us, are individuals like u :D

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@Mr. fanatic

Pls also look for "System" key under:

Code:
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
mr_fanatic said:
unfortunately, both of the suggestion suggested by Mr. gx_saurav and Mr.Vishal_Gupta didn't work. Any more suggestion/tips? I think its a virus because since USB Pen Drive are becoming popular these days, we have used it a lots from my colleague and friends. Thanks.

I can't see the image due to web filteration here. Can you pl post image as attachment?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Thanks saurav and vishal :)

To mr_fanatic,

There are three scenarios possible. Let's start one by one:

1. Is your Windows XP a separate installation or a upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP? If it's a upgrade, then the problem is Windows XP video drivers do not have OpenGL support after upgradation. The solution would be to get Video drivers compatible to Windows XP.

2. The second possible problem is due to spyware infection.
a. Download Free AVG Antispyware
b. Disable "System Restore"
c. Restart Windows in "safe mode"
d. Close all windows and applications and scan entire system using AVG Antispyware program.
e. Quarantine all the infections displayed after scanning.
f. Restart Windows in normal mode.​

Now open Desktop> Properties > Change the theme from Windows Classic to Windows XP.
This may bring back all your missing tabs.

3. The last possible reason may be due to registry changes.

Start> Run> Type "regedit" and enter

Propagate to

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Check whether DWORD Value "NoDispScrSavPage" is 0. If it's 1, change it to '0'.

Hope it solves your problem.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
ax3 said:
JUST format ......... no need 2 waste ur time ...........
Man, you got to be the laziest geek around! This is a hard solution and takes more time than solving it the right way. Take backup, recheck, reformat, reinstall. Bah, what good is it then for him to ask for a solution and do A/V companies hire developers for selling coffee? And for gods sake, try filling atleast one line completely, dont mask it with dots.

OP
mr_fanatic

mr_fanatic

Broken In
Thank you all for suggesting. First before making any changes to the system i followed a part of what Kiran_tech_mania told at his 2nd point.
Now open Desktop> Properties > Change the theme from Windows Classic to Windows XP.
This may bring back all your missing tabs.

i change the theme from Classic to Windows XP and the missing TAB or OPTIONS appear. Again i switch back to the Classic Theme and all the tabs are gone again. Switching the theme makes the tab to appear, but when Right-Clicking for the properties again, all tabs are gone :confused: again... this really makes me sick. lol. I hope that from what i am saying maybe some people may or know the solutions. Again thanks all for the time and help.

else
goto
backup
format
setup

:))

GeeNeeYes

powerd ↻ pramod
LOL

here dude.... merge this registry file. it will restore all tabs

*www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/restorealldisplaytabs.reg

if it helps let us know

OP
mr_fanatic

mr_fanatic

Broken In
Still unlucky GeeNeeYes :( anyway, i give up. I'll format and setup windows again. Thanks all for your time and suggestion.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
mr_fanatic said:
Still unlucky GeeNeeYes :( anyway, i give up. I'll format and setup windows again. Thanks all for your time and suggestion.

I could have suggested that in the irst place, the panacea for all windows ills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom