Help Needed in purchasing a laptop ranging 55k

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshwinDR

Broken In
Hi All,

Could anyone please let me know whats the best laptop for the requirements below. I am looking at laptops around 55k mark.

1. Need to use Maya and Animax for Animation development.
2. Need a Wifi connection with a cam for chatting thorugh internet.
3. Watching movies and gaming too.

I have done an initial study and found that the Sony VAIO 35G/N is quite good as well as apple MacBook. Could you please suggest me which one is better in the two listed ones and probably a better branded one which would suit in my requirements.

Regards
Ashwin

drcaesar

Broken In
try the HP dv series..saw one (dun remember the xact model no) for arnd 52K..with C2D, 3 GB DDR RAM, 250 GB hard disk, DVD writer, 128 MB NVIDIA graphics card, WiFi, Bluetooth, Integrated webcam n all..should fit ur usage pattern nicely..check it out..if u cant find it..msg me..ill find out the xact model no n give it to u..

gopz

In the zone
For your particular needs, you should get a Dell XPS m1530. Dont look elsewhere. Period.

acewin

Point Blanc
you would need alot much assessment off what your lappy has in it, so XPS 1530 is recommended. Even with good config sony is not providing goof graphix card.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
One suggestion. If 90% of your work is going to be on Maya and other animation, better get a desktop with a quad core proccy, 4gig ram, 8800GT and a 20" display.

If you strictly want laptop, go for the XPS and get atleast 3gig ram and an 8600GT atleast. Also look for laptops that give 9500M GPU.

OP
A

AshwinDR

Broken In
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your reply's. I need a laptop for my wife to carry it to her animation classes, so buying a desktop is out of question. As you all suggested i was visiting the xps pages, i found one more model which is far more lighter than the 1530 which is 1330. I want to know are there any differences between the same in terms of performace or its just the lighter version of the 1530.

Being lighter by 1 kg is quite an advantage i felt. Please have a comment on the same and any reasons why should i not prefer the sony or the apple macbook i had mentioned before.

One more time
Thanks a lot for your reply guys

Regards
Ashwin DR

gopz

In the zone
The 1530 will make a difference when playing the latest games.

Otherwise, the 1330 is a great buy, make sure you choose the nVIDIA graphics card and a processor with 6MB cache, your wife will need it for Maya and graphics editing.

The only flipside is that the resolution on the 1330 will be 1280x800 only. You can go upto 1680x1050 on the 1530 (which will surely make a difference for graphics editing)

The 1330 with a 9 cell battery is still light. But the 1530 will be really heavy with the 9 cell battery.

Make a choice whether you need portability or a bigger screen.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
XPS 1330 has smaller screen and option for only 8400GS.
U can read my XPS M1530 review here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86786
Opt for a 9 cell better if u need to do some heavy work on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom