Help needed for ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
When I boot my computer with UBUNTU live disk, I am able to reach at that stage at which it gives option like running memory test , installing it, checking disk for errors etc. but after selcting the option of installing it, I am not able to understand what to do. It shows dos screen with a cursor which blinks and nothing is written on the screen except some eight digit numeral and alphabets combinations given at the bottom . Help needed. the same thing happened with Gentoo installation from a CD that I wasn't able to go beyond the screen which prompted to select the kernel.

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.whats ur system.so u cant get with curses based installer?run ubiquity if u get GUI running

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics card and intel motherboard

System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.15, 8/5/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3

Satissh S

Youngling
My guess is that you got a kernel panic... there's nothing wrong with X
Kernel Panics occur due to flacky hardware, Can you give me exact motherboard model ??

Do you have a asrock motherboard?? Something like Asrock - p4845gv/p4865gv ? There is something like AGI technology or whatever that makes the 2.6 kernel to cause kernel panics when you have the graphics card plugged in and connected the monitor to it, rather than the onboard interface. I think there is a problem with agpgart driver in the kernel... unfortunately the kernel devs are not able to fix it because Asrock did not release the specifications of their board.

This problem has been there for nearly 4 years now, and if you have one of those asrock motherboards your only solution is to use a 2.4 kernel based distro such as slackware 11, or take that AGP card out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom