Help me with my upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitman050

Journeyman
Hi guys, I asked one of my computer guys to assemble a computer for me, as I do not know much about hardware (im mostly in software). This is what he gave me

-Pentium IV Dual Core 3.0 GHz + 915 Dual Core Compatible Intel Motherboard - Rs 16,000

- 1 GB DDR II RAM - Rs 5,000

- 120 GB SATA HDD - Rs 4,000

- DVD Writer - Rs 2,000

- 128 MB AGP Graphic Card - Rs 2,500

- 17" TFT Monitor - Rs 12,000

Total Rs 41,500 approx

Now, the budget is just about right for me. However, I wanted to know if its possible to have a better configuration for the same budget. I was think of Core 2 Duo, but I am not sure what exactly the difference is between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo? Also, is 16,000 is bit too high? Could you guys tell me what exactly the mobo and processor I should go for?

Also, I was hoping for atleast 160 GB Hard drive, and a slightly better Graphic Card. I wont mind going for 15 " TFT instead of 17 " to save a couple of thousand.

Can anyone tell me what exactly I should go for, and if this upgrade is ok? Or something that could be better within the budget.

Thanks

assasin

Banned
OMG!!! ur vendor is a ROBBER!!!!
Pentium D 3ghz + mobo = 16000???? even C2D with a 945 chipset mobo wont cost u that much
120GB hhd for 4000????? 320GB SATAII cost less than that.they cost bout 3850
1GB DDRII sud be bout 4.2k
17"TFT sud be 10.2-10.5k

go for C2D E6300 + any good 965 chipset based mobo,1GB DDRII,320GB HDD or 2*160GB if u wanna setup RAID 0.u can buy 7300GT 512MB sud be bout4.5-4.8k.all these sud come in ur budget sud cost u below 41.5k.

Both Pentium D and Core@Duo (C2D) r dual core processors,but C2D is far better than Pentium D mainly due to its new architecture.

OP
H

hitman050

Journeyman
assasin said:
OMG!!! ur vendor is a ROBBER!!!!
Pentium D 3ghz + mobo = 16000???? even C2D with a 945 chipset mobo wont cost u that much
120GB hhd for 4000????? 320GB SATAII cost less than that.they cost bout 3850
1GB DDRII sud be bout 4.2k
17"TFT sud be 10.2-10.5k

go for C2D E6300 + any good 965 chipset based mobo,1GB DDRII,320GB HDD or 2*160GB if u wanna setup RAID 0.u can buy 7300GT 512MB sud be bout4.5-4.8k.all these sud come in ur budget sud cost u below 41.5k.

Both Pentium D and Core@Duo (C2D) r dual core processors,but C2D is far better than Pentium D mainly due to its new architecture.
Thanks mate, you just saved me from getting looted :D

I was looking around, and I found this? What do you think of this configuration, and how much would it cost now?

*www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=368&pgno=4

Also, my vendor was telling me that I can only have max 160 GB HDD, as a higher one requires a much more powerful system which can go into 90,000? This is bs isnt it? Also whats difference between IDE or SATA?

Also, the pc I will buy, will it be good enough to play modern games at decent framerates? Is there any site where I can see Indian prices for computer components. I think Ebay is a bit overpriced.

Thanks, I love these forums :D

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
hitman050 said:
Also, my vendor was telling me that I can only have max 160 GB HDD, as a higher one requires a much more powerful system which can go into 90,000? This is bs isnt it?
Utter non-sense. This reminds me of the Ritchie street guy who wanted to charge me more for an Athlon 2800+ because I asked for a "Athlon 2800" but he had stocked only "Athlon 2800+" (which he beleived to be an enhanced version of "Athlon 2800" ). :D

hitman050 said:
Is there any site where I can see Indian prices for computer components. I think Ebay is a bit overpriced
Try these sites
*deltapage.com
*theitdepot.com
*computerwarehousepricelist.com
*npithub.com
*www.mahavir.co.in

SATA drives are theoretically faster than IDE drives.

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
hitman050 said:
Also, my vendor was telling me that I can only have max 160 GB HDD, as a higher one requires a much more powerful system which can go into 90,000? This is bs isnt it? Also whats difference between IDE or SATA?

Also, the pc I will buy, will it be good enough to play modern games at decent framerates? Is there any site where I can see Indian prices for computer components. I think Ebay is a bit overpriced.

Thanks, I love these forums :D

To say the truth either ur vendor is a idiot or he's a crook.who said 160GB cant be used with ur config?u can use a 750GB hdd with ur config.any modern pc can run a 750GB.
se my rig's config in my signature.i've 2*160GB in RAID 0 and i certainly dont hav a 90k rig:D .
go for SATAII hdd,they r better than IDE ones.
as far as the gaming part is concerned,i'll suggest u wait 4 a few more months and buy a 8600 series DX10 gfx card.:p

that config u hav selected is a gr8 one:p but it'll be a little hard on ur pocket.if u hav a budget of 50k plus then u can think of buying that pc.

mod-the-pc

hitman050 said:
Thanks for the help guys. So, what do you suggest I can get within the same budget or even less?
At the same budget you can get a better rig or get the same rig at a lower cost. The first way would be better though

OP
H

hitman050

Journeyman
Yeh, I would prefer the first, but would you be kind enough to advise me on my conifiguration? As I say, I am a hardware newbie

mod-the-pc

Intel E6300 9400
Asus P5LD2-VM 4200
2x512MB DDR RAM 4200
Seagate 320GB SATA 4650
Sony 18x DVD Writer 2000
Casing 2000
Samsung 17" TFT 10600
Logitech cordless KM+Mouse 1700
Zebronics 7300 GS 256MB 3640

Total 42390

I'm not sure about the mobo & graphics card though. Maybe someone will shed some light on that

assasin

Banned
^^^ prices still too high
C2D E6300 8.2k
Asus P5N-E SLi 7.8k
2x512/1GB ddr2 4.2k
WD/Seagate 320GB 3.85k
the rest is ok.
this rig will cost u bout 45k.

OP
H

hitman050

Journeyman
Well after looking through various sites, this is what I have come up with

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8 GHz Processor - Rs 9,150
Asus P5N-E SLi Mobo - Rs 7,800
1 GB RAM DDR2 - Rs 4,200
Seagate HD Sata 320 GB - Rs 4,100
XFX GF 7300GS 512MB PCI-E DDR2-Rs 4,100
15" TFT Monitor-Rs 9,000

This is coming out to be approx Rs 38,350

I am not sure about the prices, I live in Delhi, so prices might be higher. Is there any place where I can cut some prices? Also later on can I have another 7300GS gfx card to boost the performance?

Thanks

PS One thing I am wondering is, the E6300 is 1.8 GHz, isnt that supposed to be slow? Also, what exactly is a gaming mouse?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
why r u going with SLI? it will be very costly man. Out of your budget, skip SLI & get a normal motherboard (one PCIe X16 slot)

get 17" TFT, you will thank me later for this.
It's a 7300GS, stick with the 256 MB Model

assasin

Banned
i suggested P5N-E SLi cuz it has very good OC features.also its a good mobo.if u can afford it then buy it.u wont regret it.u may also try Asus P5B.
price of the gfx card is a bit high.it sud be bout 3.3k-3.5k.
as far as price cut is concerned,bargain with ur dealer.

@mod-the-pc dood i didnt mean to suggest that ur trying to mislead him.at my place peices r lower.so i just mentioned it.i'm sorry if i hurt ur feelings.

OP
H

hitman050

Journeyman
Well I think I could afford to buy the P5N-E SLi if it is that good. Also, if I get the 17" tft + keyboard and mouse and dvd writer, with some bargaining, I could get it for around 42-43 K which is my original budget anyway?

@assasin, the prices you gave were from which area, as I saw the E6300 for 9200, and could also not get price for P5N-E Sli mobo, and the HD price was also higher than the one you gave. Also do you know where I could buy all this stuff in Delhi? Nehru Place? Once I do, how much will a computer guy charge to assemble all this?

assasin

Banned
the rates i gave u r from kolkata.
as far as assembling is concerned i think u'll be able to do it urself.if not the vendor from whom u'll buy ur stuff will take care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom