Help me FORMAT my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanwadhwa

Broken In
Hi,
I wish to format my computer. I have a 40 GB HDD, using Windows Xp. My HDD is partitioned into 3 i.e C: (9.3GB) , D: (9.5GB) and E:(17GB). I have Windows XP installed in D: and Windows ME installed in C:. I tried to format using the administrative tools in WinXP but it shows C: as system volume and D: as Boot volume. and thus doesnt allow me to format them. I wish to format both C: and D: and the simply reinstall WinXP in c:... while preserving my imp data in E:. :?:
My comp has got all ^&%^$% up and has slowed down as a turtle. That is the reason I wish to format. :x :x

My comp config: P4 2.4Ghz, 512 RMB DDR Ram, 40GB HDD.

Pleeeaaaasse HELP HELP HELP. :?: :?: :?:

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi
One method is that use DOS boot disk to boot and then format both the drives... And use a XP Boot CD to install it on C...

Regards,
Ramprasad

geek_rohit

In the zone
Start your computer using the WinXP bootable CD.
When it asks for the drive to install just delete the C & D partitions and then format those new partitions. Then make a fresh install in C drive. Thats all

bharathbala2003

why need title?
change the boot sequence to CD in the BIOS and restart the comp with XP CD installed.. then u can del the partitions and create new one's and also format.. then install XP afresh..

saROMan

QA Juggler
If you have XP on NTFS then it wont be deleted thru Dos.....d/l Bootit NG..and create a Bootable Floppy from it .....Bootit NG can Delete any Type of Partitons..

BootIt NG Features:

Compatible with all Windows versions including XP/2003.
IEEE1394/USB 2.0 high-speed support for imaging/partitioning
Support for large hard drives (2 TB) and partitions (1-2 TB)
Non-destructive resizing and conversion for FAT/FAT32
Non-destructive resizing for NTFS
Creation and (secure) deletion of partitions/volumes
Undelete partitions/volumes
FAT/FAT32 formatting
Copying and moving of partitions/volumes
Support for Linux Ext2/Ext3 and ReiserFS file systems
Imaging (including directly to CD-R/RW or DVD+R+RW-R-RW)
Booting any partition on any hard drive (via BIOS)
Booting from the CD/DVD drive
Booting multiple operating systems from a single partition
Create over 200 primary partitions (if desired)
User ID and password protection
Free upgrades (1.00-1.99) (registration-key versions only)
And lots more...

Method : after you have booted from the Floppy..it will welcome u with mgs that welcome to installation etc.....clacel it..and go to partition works....now u can play with your partitions

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
First Select CD Rom as the first boot device from BIOS. Then Boot the PC from WIN XP Bootable Disk. Delete the C and D partitions And make new partitions from the Unpartioned space. Then install XP in any one of them.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I wonder why people make such a big fuss over formatting their drives. Earlier too there was a five page long thread on the subject. To format the drive use the suggestion given by geek_rohit its the easiest and the most logical way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom