Help Me Find >> LG Optimus 2X << want to buy asap:)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
- sensation has some issues (death grip etc.)

O2X has bad battery life (OS problem for sure).

- i won't be running for custom roms etc. just for the sake of design/usability/animation effects but its abt removing bloatware and do things the way you want to do it :| keeping it simple :p

Sensation (all HTC, Sony & Motorola have this) has locked bootloader. I don't know if it is easy to unlock or you have to play with some of the DEV tools. Was planning to try this on my friend's Sony. But damn guy is way too paranoid about unlocking.

- if i am able to get my hands on O2X only and only at an LG shoppe/regional stockist then hes gonna suk me in :x (will demand phone on MRP or near abt it which is approx 26-27k *gulp* :| )

i feel same :(

- i seriously liked what O2X offered me..infact to everyone else who *can/is* confident abt rooting, installing their custom ROM or upgrade to Gingerbread and wait for LG to release ICS (as promised in Q2 2012 :D)

don't underestimate LG. Others miss their update plan by a month or two, LG miss it at least by a quarter or more. don't expect official ICS before Q3. may touch Q4 who knows. And when they deliver, it'll be buggy like hell.

Thankfully, bootloader is not locked. One of the first mobiles to get stable cyanogen builds (Proud to own an LG mobile :grin:)

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
umm..guys :D

Xperia Sola has Mali 400 GPU :D + damn fine screen (265ppi) + SD card slot

but the build quality is doubtful..otherwise specs are awsome! :mrgreen:

cost should be around ~20k

as a matter of fact mali 400 > nvidia geforce ULP (which is present in O2X) :| according to anandtech reviews and many others on internet.

any news on release date of sola??

:) I know am being greedy here :twisted:

Last edited:

ajaymailed

In the zone
umm..guys :D

Xperia Sola has Mali 400 GPU :D + damn fine screen (265ppi) + SD card slot

but the build quality is doubtful..otherwise specs are awsome! :mrgreen:

cost should be around ~20k

as a matter of fact mali 400 > nvidia geforce ULP (which is present in O2X) :| according to anandtech reviews and many others on internet.

any news on release date of sola??

:) I know am being greedy here :twisted:
but then Mali in Exynos and Sony Ericssons Nova Thor would be different wont it? they might do some modifications to overclock/underclock, add more cores/stream processors?. ARM talks about Mali being configurable from 1 to 4 cores.

In the detailed SGS2 review Anandtech talks about Maali-400MP4- The 4 core version being equivalent to PowerVR SGX 543. on a side note, my hopes are pinned on Exynos GPU on SGS3 to challenge SGX 543MP4 after looking at performance of GPUs in Tegra 3 & Krait against A5. Tegra 3 & Kraits Adreno 225 are unable to match the benchmark figures of SGX 540MP2 according to anandtech.:cry:
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait) Performance Preview - 1.5 GHz MSM8960 MDP and Adreno 225 Benchmarks
Tegra 3 GPU: Making Honeycomb Buttery Smooth
we need a Mali T658 to crush any GPU in A5X/A6 might have.:twisted:

Last edited:
OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
but then Mali in Exynos and Sony Ericssons Nova Thor would be different wont it? they might do some modifications to overclock/underclock, add more cores/stream processors?. ARM talks about Mali being configurable from 1 to 4 cores.

In the detailed SGS2 review Anandtech talks about Maali-400MP4- The 4 core version being equivalent to PowerVR SGX 543. Mali T-604 in SGS3 should make it roughly equivalent to SGX 543MP4 powering Ipad 3.

well AFAIK the proc on Xperia lineup is ST U8500 NovaThor which is an SoC containing the DB8500 GPU.

Now, have a look at ST8500 specs here

Yes, the SGS2 had the Mali 400 mp4; the xperias on the other hand are having "Mali 400" no mp4 etc. number/naming convention stated by stericsson on the link above :|

The proc. has this SMP..some multi/parallel process execution mechanism which makes the proc. faster.

My best guess....Mali400 still is above Geforce ULP (according to anandtech and other reviews.) + I highly doubt that this Mali GPU would let the Xperias down...nopes.. :D o_O

Well..anyone here willing to shed some light on the topic..

ajaymailed

In the zone
well AFAIK the proc on Xperia lineup is ST U8500 NovaThor which is an SoC containing the DB8500 GPU.

Now, have a look at ST8500 specs here

Yes, the SGS2 had the Mali 400 mp4; the xperias on the other hand are having "Mali 400" no mp4 etc. number/naming convention stated by stericsson on the link above :|

The proc. has this SMP..some multi/parallel process execution mechanism which makes the proc. faster.

My best guess....Mali400 still is above Geforce ULP (according to anandtech and other reviews.) + I highly doubt that this Mali GPU would let the Xperias down...nopes.. :D o_O

Well..anyone here willing to shed some light on the topic..
Xperia S , the present flagship has Adreno 220 which is better than SGX540 and Tegra 2. So definitely Mali 400 with U & P won't be better than Adreno 220. My guess is it wud be rougle comparable to SGX 540 & Tegra 2.

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
Xperia S , the present flagship has Adreno 220 which is better than SGX540 and Tegra 2. So definitely Mali 400 with U & P won't be better than Adreno 220. My guess is it wud be rougle comparable to SGX 540 & Tegra 2.

I din't get you.. :| you mean to say that:
Adreno 220(of xperia S) > TEGRA2 > Mali 400 (of Xperia U/P) ?

if thats (^^^^) what you're trying to say then..

uh-oh :|

.... :D

you should probably check these benchmark(s) results.

Last edited:
OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
Adreno>Tegra 2 ~= Mali 400 Xperia U/P
just a wild guess.

Today I went to savitri market(the biggest retail market for mobile phones in Noida)..tried an exactly real looking dummy of Xperia S..

it totally felt like a piece of block.. :D felt pretty solid (thanks to the solid plastic built of the phone)..was looking durable but i am not really sure how much of strain that plastic could handle.

and I guess i should stick to LG O2X :p (if Xperia S the flagship is like that then no doubt a lower quality build would be observed in Xperia Sola :|)

I am getting LG O2X for 19.5k (min.) is it a good buy?? tell me guys.. :) :)

Last edited:
OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
hm.. :D I could tell him to increase my bill by rs 100 and get a 8gb SD card class 4 (or greater)? would it be good? (have no idea for much i'll get an 8GB class4 (or greater) SD card for in the open market :|)

AFAIK a 2GB card preinstalled in the phone..not sure abt it though :(

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
no use... class4 2gb retails for about 150 and 8gb for 300rs.. i said for if you can get 16gb for like atmost 100rs more...
try to get it for 19k if you dont want freebies.. say that you are student, dont have money, want that phone badly etc etc..

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
no use... class4 2gb retails for about 150 and 8gb for 300rs.. i said for if you can get 16gb for like atmost 100rs more...
try to get it for 19k if you dont want freebies.. say that you are student, dont have money, want that phone badly etc etc..

xD :D

ahh..typical indian bargain style heee gotcha :cool:

I have rooted my O2X, currentlly running CM7. Performance is certainly boosted up, no UI hang, no crapware. Seriously good phone if you are open to rooting. Price is also much lesser than S2, which I believe has always been overpriced.

Edit: I have got Transcend MicroSD Card 32GB Class 10; got it from Letsbuy for Rs. 2099

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
I have rooted my O2X, currentlly running CM7. Performance is certainly boosted up, no UI hang, no crapware. Seriously good phone if you are open to rooting. Price is also much lesser than S2, which I believe has always been overpriced.

Edit: I have got Transcend MicroSD Card 32GB Class 10; got it from Letsbuy for Rs. 2099

hey hii just in time (needed an O2X owner's advice here.. :D)

umm..I need to know a thing about upgrading the factory installed froyo to gingerbread released by LG.

I heard that after updatation to gingerbread there is a loss of some apps??
WIll I lose fsecure or any other important app?? I also read that there can be some lockups while updatation process is going on thereby bricking the phone? o_O

hey hii just in time (needed an O2X owner's advice here.. :D)

umm..I need to know a thing about upgrading the factory installed froyo to gingerbread released by LG.

WIll I lose fsecure or any other important app?? I also read that there can be some lockups while updatation process is going on thereby bricking the phone? o_O

LG's GB release is stupid. IMO LG's Froyo is much more stable than GB. Plus it is (GB) battery hungry, drains out battery within a day, with moderate usage. I can't tell you about apps getting lost and all, but upgrading was mostly smooth for me.

I had actually rooted LG Froyo to CM7. Then went back to LG Froyo and then updated to LG GB. Then went back to cm7 \m/ :mrgreen:

P.S. - The "Black Screen of Death" is still there, whichever OS you use. But yes, its much less frequent.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

give it to LG service center. they'll do it. why take unnecessary risk. and most likely all installed apps (internal memory, external storage) will be lost.

P.S. - The "Black Screen of Death" is still there, whichever OS you use. But yes, its much less frequent.

it was there in CM7. was resolved in CM7.1 and CM7.2 is also lot stable. hardly any bugs. not sure if the same was resolved in case of O2X. but i feel it is gone now. Anyway who runs after CM7. We have CM9 now.

Top Bottom