help me figure out the problem!!

medini

Right off the assembly line
hey all...

i was working on ma PC and sumthing went severely wrong wid ma home electricity connections... a big THUMP and ma screen goes black...

since then, its been a vicious cycle of Reboots...

i did d following-
1) checked d PSU, its good..
2) checked d HDisk wid another machine and it boots up nicely... (both in WindowsXP & Debian 5.0 Linux)

is d problem lies there in the mobo... i mean, if i go to the BIOS menu, the system keeps running untill i hit F10 (as if nothing is wrong!!)... after that, it starts to load the OS and all of a sudden BLANK and REBOOT...

come on guys, i was about to finish ma final sem project... and i dnt hv bucks to get the system to servicing guys... moreover trusting them is like eating ratkill.... help me out on this....:-(:-x:!:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I feel that your graphics card has taken a hit. As you have said that you have checked the PSU, could you please re-check your graphics card? Are all the capacitors on it are intact?

Cilus

laborare est orare
You have connected your HDD to another machine. One qwery, are they booting up from your HDD or their own HDD. If they are booting up from their own HDD, then the problem may lies within your HDD
Probably a fresh Installation of OS will solve the problem. There may be some bad sectors created in your HDD where the OS is loaded.

You are saying that your Display is coming, it means Ram modules and GPU is probably ok. If the Ram is completely gone, no display wouldn't be coming then.
Another problem, may be some of the modules of your ram got corrupted. In this case computer will be rebooted only when CPU will try to access the address of the damaged location of the Ram.
Try with some other ram modules.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Another problem, may be some of the modules of your ram got corrupted. In this case computer will be rebooted only when CPU will try to access the address of the damaged location of the Ram.
Try with some other ram modules.

Why didn't I think of that before. I had faced similar problem when one of the IC on one of my ram modules was visibly burnt. But my system didn't detect it altogether at that time (it showed total RAM of the system minus this burnt RAM). Have a close look at all the ICs on your RAM

OP
M

medini

thanx for helping me out guys... here's what u all asked for...

1) @ Gagan007 : i'm running on onboard graphix, and i havnt checked d RAM module yet... but learning what u had to face, i'm surely gonna do that...

2) @ Cilus : i'm sure it boot from ma HD, and i did it both for Linux and Windows... But what u said in d later part of ur reply seems to be ma problem-may b some part of the RAM module got corrupted... i'l check for dat now...

3) @ asigh : ma config : ASUS P5 | Intel Dual-Core @ 2.00 GHz | 1 Gigs of RAM-DDR II | 160 GB Seagate SATA | 450 Watt PSU | and it runs on onboard Graphix

now one more query - can dis problem occur if there is a problem with d electricity grounding thing ?? yesterday night i found that the monitor data-cable also had current on it... i opened d cabinet and there was current all over... i unplugged the power supply for the system and there was still current flowing in d metal...it appears that current is flowing BACK from the UPS thru d monitor data cable into the system... whats wrong here....

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Improper grounding could affect all your electronic parts inside the MOBO. Though there have been instances when I received electric shock while opening the MOBO of my friend (to attach my HDD for data transfer) which was not properly "earthed". But the system worked fine. Reboot shouldn't be caused due to this...

OP
M

medini

@ gagan007 -
okay, i got that... i think i'l hv to check the RAM... may b some modules inside got corrupted...

Top Bottom