Help me Choose CD writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaurav

In the zone
Planning to purchase a new CD Writer. Please suggest some models, previously owned Samsung SW-224B (24X). I heard from some vendors that ASUS CD Writers are not good enough, "Bahut complaints aa rahi hain" all of them suggested LG,Samsung or Sony. What are your opinions in this. My machine's configration is as follows:

Pentium III 750 MHZ
Windows 98SE
Intel 810E chipset
256MB RAM

I need a writer which has great build quality and a much longer life. (don't need the fastest one). I hope you all understand what i am trying to say. Thankx

Sourabh

Laptoping
get the ASUS one or liteon/sony

ASUS ki boohat probs aa rahi hain coz they have only samsung/lg stock :mrgreen: moo profit in it

wod have to get ASUS from some other dealer not much profit

get it?

get the SONY/LITEON one else

it will cost u abt 1.3-1.4k

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
You mean to say ASUS is a good performer as far as build quality and longer life is concerned. What do you say about Sony. Although vendor told me that if you want ASUS he can arrange it for me. what do you say. In which issue of digit CD writer test has been conducted. can you PM it to me right now. I'm online

Sourabh

Laptoping
get the ASUS one

dun rely on DIGIT reviews

get it

if not SONY/LITEON

asus may be abt 150 rs highly priced

check the prices here if u r from southINDIA

*business.vsnl.com/deltapage

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Go for LG, SONY/LITEON or ASUS. I have been using LG CD Writer for the last two years i have never faced any problem till date (touch wood). But dont go for SAMSUNG at any cost.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
My experience from installing dozens of CD-writers of various brands -

Liteon : performs well and none has broken down.

Sony : as above except that one died after about one year, but this could be a fluke or the owner did not take proper care of it.

Asus : good performance but 2 or 3 simply failed after a year or so.

LG : Have used only a few, so I can't really make a fair judgment, but I've seen some (not those I installed myself) that have trouble reading even lightly scratched CDs.

Samsung : they're the pits.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
my choice will be ...

ASUS > Sony > Liteon > LG

nd samsung dont even come in the picture...
price is almost the same withing the range of 1100 to 1500 ...

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Having suffered twice with Samsung drives, I would seriouslt advice you to stay away from them. I've been using a Sony DVD/CDRW combo and its got the best build quality I've seen in a long, long time. Stay away from Samsung!

godsownman

Padawan
Samsung is not the one we should choose.
They have many problems.
I personally had a problem with a samsung drive that was just about 23 hours OLD. Can you imagine.I switched to sony and now its working fine, touch wood.

Stay away from it Samsung

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I think U should go for one from BENQ as they offer 2 year warranty on optical drives as opposed ti 1yr from other manufacturers.
I had just bought a new one just two days ago nd it also performs good.
U scould get a drive only from a local vendor(as optical drives are likely to fail anytime) who offer warranty so lasting wont be a problem.
I bought it for just 1300/-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decius

Broken In
My choice undoubtedly is Lite-On works gr8 though i have used LG and Samsung too but Lite-On scores over them. Go for Lite-On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom