Help me choose a Portable Music Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
also, among the ones that are available now, *www.sony.co.in/product/nwz-a728 should be a good deal for 9.5k-10k

this 8GB player comes with premium headphones

now, even if the S series is released, it will cost around 7k for 8Gb and you need to spend 1.5k for similar quality headphones

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
also, among the ones that are available now, *www.sony.co.in/product/nwz-a728 should be a good deal for 9.5k-10k

this 8GB player comes with premium headphones

now, even if the S series is released, it will cost around 7k for 8Gb and you need to spend 1.5k for similar quality headphones
Yeah, but it lacks the speakers. Should I be concerned? Also its an older model, maybe the new models have better performance and battery life?

BTW- the 8GB S-545 costs 100$ and 16GB 130$ so the Indian price should be 6k/7.5k respectively for 8G/16GB model following the conversion they did for the PSP.

PSP 3000=169$=8.5k
India Price=9.5k, so its 1k extra, maybe they follow same model for Walkman.
I've also seen other SONY products add 1k extra(upto 10k) for products in India(walkman phones).

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
^^ me thought of getting PSP as my PMP , but see ing outside very childish thats bothering me !

Is there any big size screen PMP except IPOD TOUCH is there ??

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ me thought of getting PSP as my PMP , but see ing outside very childish thats bothering me !

Is there any big size screen PMP except IPOD TOUCH is there ??
Yup, Creative Zen/X-Fi/X-Fi 2, Cowon D2/D2+/S9 has some massive normal and touchscreens, but the prices may be as high as 15k for some models here, check them out.

Besides these Sony X- Series also has a big touchscreen but costs 290$, its still not launched here. Probably won't following the huge price.

Check out the Creative India site to check the list, I will post detail images here as soon as the power comes back(my 30min back up time is almost up)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@damngoodman999, if you have budget of 12k, look no further than ipod touch. it's a complete package and is worth that price. Go for it.

Though I hate Apple, am afraid to say that only Zune HD may be able to compete with ipod touch but again, ZuneHD is USA exclusive player.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
^^ wow , happy to see another MAC hater , i am a big hater of MAC !

thats y i am still saving , all i need is COWON for 20K i think 60GB is available .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Ah yes. Cowon A3 is an awesome product and yes, it pawns ipod touch when it comes to audio and video playback.

If you are looking of a pure PMP and ready to spend ~20k, that's the one for you :)

also, take a look at Cowon O2, successor to A3. This one has 4.3" touch display. Also, it has 18hr music and 8hr video battery life, which is improvement over A3 (9hr audio and 7hr video)

it supports these audio formats:

MP3/2/1, WMA, ASF, AC3, FLAC, OGG, M4A, MATROSKA(MKA), TTA, APE, MPC, WV, WAV

and video:

AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MATROSKA(MKV), OGM, MPG/MPEG, DAT, MTV
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Cowon O2 32Gb for 20k and it has SD card slot so that you can expand the storage:
*www.cowonindia.in/newmp3.asp?id=20&prodcat=PMP

@tkin, I would pick D2+ over creative zen X-Fi. If you are most concerned about audio quality, I would suggest you to either pick Sony or Cowon.

Also, I think creative zen doesn't integrate songs on external card into the main album list. you check that one once else it will be a headache if you want to expand the storage.

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Thanks Desi ,

I am saving for PMP for 8 months , my friend has D2 he bought for 8K , i think its a steal ! but small touch screen only making me sick the audio is awesome , he use it with EP630 , i do find nice audio earphone is needed for D2 , my ears was crazy when heard the Songs on D2

I never thought COWON is best , after hearing i do want to get cowon & i dono about apple never even used ! Can u say ?? i need only audio quality Which one is best apple Ipod nano or Cowon D2 ??
Posted again:
@ DESI

I do have a small confusion ??

Spending 20K for a PMP is make me thinking , S9 is not available here can u tell me were S9 is available , S9 is new model 8GB for 10K is cool

Cowon O2 is 720P HD resolution display wow ??

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
there is no comparison between Nano and D2. D2 wins hands down. The beauty is that you can customize the audio output to suit your ears.

And yes, you do need a good quality earphones/headphones.

under 10k, D2 and NWZ-A728/B are the best ones. You can also check zen X-Fi but the control pad is pretty confusing.

under 15k, right now ipod touch has no competition. Cowon S9 curve is there but it's not a great player. Until sony releases X series player in India, there is no other option.

above 15k, my pick would be Cowon O2 or A3.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@tkin, you are right. you need to wait.

Sony NW-A840 packs OLED, noise cancellation, and upto 64GB of flash heat, still thinnest Walkman ever

And this is made for asian market.

it's fing 7.2mm thin. here is a picture of the same.

*img141.imageshack.us/img141/9266/pia0001001073450x570.th.png

downside is that it looks a bit costly at $263 (yen converted to dollars) for 16GB.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Ah yes. Cowon A3 is an awesome product and yes, it pawns ipod touch when it comes to audio and video playback.

If you are looking of a pure PMP and ready to spend ~20k, that's the one for you :)

also, take a look at Cowon O2, successor to A3. This one has 4.3" touch display. Also, it has 18hr music and 8hr video battery life, which is improvement over A3 (9hr audio and 7hr video)

it supports these audio formats:

MP3/2/1, WMA, ASF, AC3, FLAC, OGG, M4A, MATROSKA(MKA), TTA, APE, MPC, WV, WAV

and video:

AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MATROSKA(MKV), OGM, MPG/MPEG, DAT, MTV
Posted again:
Cowon O2 32Gb for 20k and it has SD card slot so that you can expand the storage:
*www.cowonindia.in/newmp3.asp?id=20&prodcat=PMP

@tkin, I would pick D2+ over creative zen X-Fi. If you are most concerned about audio quality, I would suggest you to either pick Sony or Cowon.

Also, I think creative zen doesn't integrate songs on external card into the main album list. you check that one once else it will be a headache if you want to expand the storage.
Yes, Zen doesn't integrate the memory card media on the main playlist, you need to browse to the card to play everytime, big issue, also you can't play songs from main memory while browsing the memory card or vice versa.
Posted again:
@tkin, you are right. you need to wait.

Sony NW-A840 packs OLED, noise cancellation, and upto 64GB of flash heat, still thinnest Walkman ever

And this is made for asian market.

it's fing 7.2mm thin. here is a picture of the same.

*img141.imageshack.us/img141/9266/pia0001001073450x570.th.png

downside is that it looks a bit costly at $263 (yen converted to dollars) for 16GB.
There's a good chance that the A840 won't come here, reason is probably the high price, even if it came only the 16GB model will replace the current 16GB one @ 13k. Also look at the part number, Indian and asia pacific products have code NWZ-xxx, like S series NWZ-S545, but this one's NW-A840, big confusion. And yeah, its a bit costly @13k, I could get a good touchscreen player, extremely confusing.

Last edited:
OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
there is no comparison between Nano and D2. D2 wins hands down. The beauty is that you can customize the audio output to suit your ears.

And yes, you do need a good quality earphones/headphones.

under 10k, D2 and NWZ-A728/B are the best ones. You can also check zen X-Fi but the control pad is pretty confusing.

under 15k, right now ipod touch has no competition. Cowon S9 curve is there but it's not a great player. Until sony releases X series player in India, there is no other option.

above 15k, my pick would be Cowon O2 or A3.
D2(currently D2+) looks good, but the S9 looks damn sexy, I will read some reviews and get back after some time.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
New update, SONY India giving 10% discount on walkman, reducing A728/B's price to 8.5k from 9.4k, now I'm interested, seems they are releasing stocks to make way for new stuffs, ..........................S-540 perhaps.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@tkin, I won't recommend S9. I would say that Yp-P3 is better than S9.

that discount looks cool. when I saw only two models of PMPs in the site, I felt that they might be making way for new series players.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Allright, enough is enough, F**k SONY and its biggot managers that dealy products in India, I had it, I won't buy SONY, in fact I won't buy a PMP, I'm getting this by the weekend.

Nokia 5800 Xpress Music:

*pic.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/08/09/nokia-5800-xpressmusic/gsmarena_004.jpg

SONY just lost another customer, anyway there's just been a price cut on the 5800 as some Nokia Priority dealers told me, tomorrow gonna check out the stores and confirm the final price.

If its still above 15k then gonna get the 5530.

Confirmed- Nokia 5800XM is 13.5k inc taxes.

Last edited:

Cookies

Right off the assembly line
why not consider the creative zen xfi2? recently I just got the zen xfi2 & would like to share my experience. i'm really happy with it especially the audio, music sound rich & the xfi expand it includes just makes my video playback sounds great as though i'm in a cinema i doubt i can expect this from other players.. another thing will be the memory expansion slot. space isn't limited to the capacity of the player. i can play pictures,movies or music inmy microsd card (which my mobile is also using) directly from there. i can choose to transfer them to the player or not. everything is really convenient. another thing i'm happy to see is that they have been releasing updated firmware frequently to improve the player this is really important hope my experience helps you in making your choice. alright off to enjoy my music on my xfi2 :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom