Help me choose a Portable Music Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
KMD will ship the failed product to USA, get it serviced and ship it back to you but the shipping charges should be taken care by the product owner.

acewin

Point Blanc
microsoft zune,
cowon D2
creative Zen these are your best choices.
I have seen zen, it has a massive screen:)D), and its screen is good for playing videos.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Here's my experience with SONY India(kolkata, official distro),.

Today I went to a dozen shops in Chandni as well as some Electronics shop like Capitol Electronics excluding Sony World.

They contacted Sony dealers all across kolkata(including the official one) and guess what?

They only keep some of the stuff that the Sony website(www.sony.co.in) lists, F***ing Sony india only has some completely outdated and ridiculously expensive stuff at their disposal, like an OLD 4GB Walkman for 8k and an 8GB one for 9.5k when in USA, Japan, UK, Singapore(basically all over the world) Sony released some brand new S Series models last month which cost 100$ for 8GB and 130$ for 16GB.

So basically speaking they do not have the S or the expensive X series in India, only some old 4/8GB models are available, you can refer the first post to see these antiques. And when I told them they simply said there's no such things as S/X series and also said 8GB/16GB can't be so cheap, it must cost 10k/15k respectively, WTF?? No one has any idea about the launch date so I will keep waiting, having no MP3 player is better than getting expensive antiques.

If anyone has any idea about Sony S/X series launch date or plans here please notify here, and also I won't buy iPods, suggest something else that has official support here(~8k).

BTW- The whole import thing is bad, sending stuff through KMD back for warranty will cost a lot and time, not interested. Does Sony India give traveling warranty?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Check how much Samsung YP-T3 costs. When I last checked it was some 11k and price may have dropped.

Other players to check:

1) Create Zen X-Fi

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Check how much Samsung YP-T3 costs. When I last checked it was some 11k and price may have dropped.

Other players to check:

1) Create Zen X-Fi
Price if X-Fi?? Performance??

Is it officially supported here??

Samsung YP-K3 looks a bit dull and performance and compatibility isn't upto sony/apple mark yet. Looked into it, not good enough.

Arnab boss

In the zone
@thin...dude why don't u go and visit fancy market in kidderpore..'

It has got huge stocks of mp3 players with or without video.. Mainly all chinese stuff but if u r lucky then u may find apple or sony products there...'

I bought a apple 80gb video ipod with dock charger with stereo speakers @ 8k with a good headfone..'so just give a visit...'

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
@thin...dude why don't u go and visit fancy market in kidderpore..'

It has got huge stocks of mp3 players with or without video.. Mainly all chinese stuff but if u r lucky then u may find apple or sony products there...'

I bought a apple 80gb video ipod with dock charger with stereo speakers @ 8k with a good headphone..'so just give a visit...'
I once a bought a supposedly original SONY CD Walkman, just ran for 8months or so, cost me 1k, never going back.

So how long have you been running the iPod?

Currently looking into Creative, the Zen X-Fi 2 with touchscreen and microSD costs 180$(16GB), its also available in India, gonna visit some shops tomorrrow.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Hey dude I know its crapy there and u always feel unsafe...'

Anyhow its all depends on luck and I bought it in march 2008 and its still running fine so its luck... Buddy...'

I have a lot of frnds there as I used to have a business of musical instruments over there...' so I know from where 2 find genuine one...'he he he...'

Some of my frnds frequently visit china and taiwan so if I need something I asked them...' they just bought me a nixon coolpix digitalcam frm there @ 8k which is priced @ 11k over here...'

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey dude I know its crapy there and u always feel unsafe...'

Anyhow its all depends on luck and I bought it in march 2008 and its still running fine so its luck... Buddy...'

I have a lot of frnds there as I used to have a business of musical instruments over there...' so I know from where 2 find genuine one...'he he he...'

Some of my frnds frequently visit china and taiwan so if I need something I asked them...' they just bought me a nixon coolpix digitalcam frm there @ 8k which is priced @ 11k over here...'
Its mostly luck and some help and sources, like you have, anyway my cousin lived in Singapore a few months back, bought a Nokia 5800 through her(which eventually got stolen from me:evil:), but she's back to Delhi now, seems the only way is either wait for Sony or go for Creative.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Ya creative and sony both r good in performance and quality...'

But today one of my frnd bought a philips mp3 and video player @6k...'
built quality is good with a 3.2 inch display but its not as good as sony...'

Hey dude u can also visit ac market or metro shopping there r a few stores who keep imported stuffs in electronics...'

Or if u r brave enough then take a chance in fancy market....! Ill help u this time let me ask my frnds abt this and if they hav or can bring it ill give u his mob no...' just give the model no and product info...'

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Ya creative and sony both r good in performance and quality...'

But today one of my frnd bought a philips mp3 and video player @6k...'
built quality is good with a 3.2 inch display but its not as good as sony...'

Hey dude u can also visit ac market or metro shopping there r a few stores who keep imported stuffs in electronics...'

Or if u r brave enough then take a chance in fancy market....! Ill help u this time let me ask my frnds abt this and if they hav or can bring it ill give u his mob no...' just give the model no and product info...'
Yeah, I saw that philips player, it's good and also has bluetooth but not upto the Sony mark, gonna visit ac market in a few days.

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/20090324/Philips_GoGear_OPUS_540x540.jpg

Looks sassy but reviews say that UI is bugged and format support is very limited.

Thanks for the assist but buying a unsupported product was never my intention, could've got it via KMD then.

GOOD NEWS is that the new S-540 series that I'm searching for isn't available yet in the ENTIRE ASIA PACIFIC region, searched the SONY Asia Pacific, Singapore, Taiwan sites and came up with nothing on the new S-545 series, so Sony hadn't yet officially launched this product in this region, I thought India was left out, I'll just have to wait till it's launched here, and by the looks of sales figures SONY's definitely gonna launch it here.

So I'll keep an eye on the Sony Asia Pacific sites for the update, a sony dealer told that newly launched products come to India after appx 1-3 months depending on global demand. F**k SONY.

In the meantime I'll troll around a few Creative distros in Kolkata.

So I need an official first hand(or second hand, or heck just lay the reviews) on the Creative ZEN/ZEN X-Fi/ZEN X-Fi 2.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Hmmm crazy sony fan I c...?

But thin if u want a good mp3 player then ipods r the best in this category..' but still if u want then wait and c may ur wish fulfil soon...'

Imo take a apple 80gb video/mp3 player.., good 4 storage also...'

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmmm crazy sony fan I c...?

But thin if u want a good mp3 player then ipods r the best in this category..' but still if u want then wait and c may ur wish fulfil soon...'

Imo take a apple 80gb video/mp3 player.., good 4 storage also...'
Yup, I admit, I'm a SONY fan, ever since I bought my first Walkman back in class 5 I got hooked but I'm open to suggestions any time.

I know, undoubtedly iPods are one of the best audio devices out there but without drag and drop support I hate it, I hate iTunes and DRM very very much, so its not an option, if it had MTP/MSC support I would bought it without a second thought. But it does not.

So its SONY/COWON/Creative for me, I'm not in a hurry, waiting a few months is easy.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
as per your liking, you have only two options:

1) wait for Sony S series to launch in India but by that time, you will find even better alternative in USA
2) get S series from USA
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
you want a good walkman player, you need to take your chances.

Last edited:
OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
as per your liking, you have only two options:

1) wait for Sony S series to launch in India but by that time, you will find even better alternative in USA
2) get S series from USA
Posted again:
you want a good walkman player, you need to take your chances.
Yes, by the time its launched in India there will be better alternatives in USA but that model looks pretty descent, other than memory size SONY's probably
gonna stick with this design for the next gen PMPs, also look at the prices, its freaking low, I'm guessing its gonna launch by December this year.

Taking chances is not an option, gotta buy a DX11 GPU next year, if I make a wrong choice(Philips PMP) my parents will not buy me both next year, its either the GPU or another PMP with better features next year, and no competition to the GPU, so will have to buy a PMP this year.

I'm thinking Creative, anyway SONY's a complete fool if they don't release these models here quickly, iPod Nano 5g as well as the 2nd gen cheap Touch is here and gonna launch all-over in India soon(as one dealer told me), if they choose to remain in the game they must launch now, or wait like philips and lose the market to apple.

BTW- I thought that being one of the biggest hw market in Asia new products always launch quickly in Singapore and Taiwan, so why isn't the S-series launched there? Weird.

Err, you posted at 3AM, you stay up all night?

layzee

■■■■■■
Creative is good enough for me...
Anyways if you just want a music player get a Philips GoGear and Sennheiser CX400 earphones.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Creative is good enough for me...
Anyways if you just want a music player get a Philips GoGear and Sennheiser CX400 earphones.
Creative which model?

Please mention purchase date, price and purchase location of the player. How has it been working and do mention battery life.

GoGear sucks, only video format supported is philips proprietary SMV format, not good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom