Help-Mandriva

Status
Not open for further replies.

anvesh

Broken In
Hi,
I am also new for linux. I've installed mandriva2006. Now I want to install new applications from cd. I don't know how to install .tar.gz file (by ./configure command) but every time I got error. Or sometime I got error when I run "make" command. I've installed almost all packages that came with installation cds.Is there enything extra i have to install from the net? plz help....

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
In Mandriva Linux there's a Package Manager called 'rpmdrake'. First tell what are
the applications you have installed?. Then I will tell you what more you can install.
You can install JRE (Java Runtime Environment) to view Applets, Adobe Acrobat
Reader, Flash. It actually depends on what you want to do with your O.S.

OP
anvesh

anvesh

Broken In
I want to install xmms and guine from digit cd. It is in .tar.gz . By searching on net i learnt how to install nonrpm files. but every time i got error while compiling. I've installed all the packages from rpmdrake except files needed for other lang. and for network. I've installed gcc,gc++ etc.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It seems some dependancies aren't met for thesee files. We can help you further if you can paste the error message. Without the error message it's difficult to tell what is gone wrong.
Also, if you can it would be better to use rpmdrake to install new files, if you don't have problems downloading them. It will solve dependancy issue.
Also search on google for adding extra repositories. I can't open google's site at the moment or else would have given you the link.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Actually Mandriva Linux itself comes with XMMS. So put the Mandriva CD
and search for XMMS. Select XMMS from the list & click on 'Install'
Regarding your second query. Open the Terminal Window. To uncompress the file in GZIP format
$ gzip -d <filename>.tar.gz
Now a new file is created in the same directory in the TAR format
$ tar xvf <filename>.tar
These commands must be given in the same directory where the software
package file exists. Then install the package. The package will contain an
executable file : ./<executable file> will install that software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom