Help Installing Ubuntu in Acer Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodp

Right off the assembly line
I tried installing Ubuntu in Acer Laptop.But it failed.The error shown was most probably that my display was not recognized by the setup.
The X Server was unable to start.
Has anyone else tried installing Ubuntu on Acer Laptop.

Specification:
Acer TravelMate 2410 Series
Processor: Intel Celeron M processor 1.6GHz
Chipset: Intel 910GML
Display and graphics: 15" XGA color TFT LCD
Intel GMA 900 graphics

When booting from the Live CD, the errors shown
intel_rng FWH not detected
after warning of some more files not detected...somthing like micro bmg
finally shows "unable to load X Server would you like to see the error"
after continuing it just hangs.....

praka123

left this forum longback
solution is to press CTRL+ALT+F1 and login with ur userid and passwd.then on the "$" prompt type and enter:
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
^ then select "i810" as driver.then give ur LCD/TFT monitor's horizontal and vertical frequency ranges if you know.this can be known from the specs book given with laptop.give answers to simple questions which the interface asks.
btwn are u trying latest Ubuntu version 7.04 Feisty?

Use ALT,TAB,RETURN(enter) to select,enter entries as this is CLI.

OP
V

vinodp

yes i am installing Ubuntu version 7.04 Feisty.

"solution is to press CTRL+ALT+F1 and login with ur userid and passwd.then on the "$" prompt type and enter:"

I chose the "install or run ubuntu" option and the computer just hangs up after showing the error and the ubuntu is not running.

I cannot run this command as ubuntu is not running..

praka123

left this forum longback
are u able to get Gnome(GUI) in Livecd?if that failed and that xserver error is showing,press ctrl+alt+f1 to get a prompt.their try above command.

edit:
posting from ubuntu livecd :D (yes,u can have internet too in livecd)
tried booting a ubuntu cd-As ur gfx card is not detecting correctly,while in boot menu,opt start in safe graphics mode.it may help.for installation on harddisk,while on livecd desktop,there is a shortcut called install.make sure u make a 6GB "/" partn and 500MB swap partition.best of Lux.

Last edited:
OP
V

vinodp

i am unable to get Gnome(GUI) in Livecd?
the start in safe graphics mode showing the same error.

will try running the command and tell the results here.

I have run the live CD and installed it successfully in my Desktop PC, but the installation in Laptop is driving me crazy.

Thanks for the continued help.
Hope i succeed in installing ubuntu in my laptop or i will have to go back to redhat :(

on running alt ctr F1,
i get the error

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ [ 178.200000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed

can't run the command......

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Hey!dont care for that error message-just press enter and get a clear "$" prompt there u:
try below commands what ever error it shows:
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
then select "i810" as driver.then give ur LCD/TFT monitor's horizontal and vertical frequency ranges if you know.this can be known from the specs book given with laptop.give answers to simple questions which the interface asks.
I advice,u look at below guide on how to start installation:

*howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom