Help Installing Fedora 3 & removing SuSE 9.1 on XP dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi Everyone,
plz help me..
>> I have some a 40 GB hard disk with WINDOWS XP SP2 installed.
>> Some 4 GB out of it is currently used by SuSE 9.1 and the computer is dual boot. So, when I start my PC, it asks for LINUX or WINDOWS.
>> MY friend gave me his Fedora Core 3 DVD.Now, I want to remove SUSE and install Fedora COre 3 on my PC. Hw do I remove SuSE? Can it be done by deleting the hard disk partition used by it from Windows XP? And what about dual boot? Will deleting the partition rremove the dual boot fuction since I think it is installed on C: while SUSE is on F: (not F: but hard drive after E: )
>> Lastly, I have not seen Fedora Setup. How does one go thorugh the setup? And is 4 GB enough for the Fedora DVD??
Plz help me quickly as I have to return the DVD in a few days..
--Siddhartha

ujjwal

Padawan
Uninstalling a linux distro has been an oft asked question here, anyway, just boot into your Windows XP cd (assuming that is your other OS), select recovery console, and type "fixmbr" to erase the linux loader and put the windows boot loader instead.

You can after that format your partitions using any good tool.

But actually, in your case, you do not need to do all this, simple start the fedora install, and choose to install fedora on the partition(s) used by suse. After that, fedora will install its own boot loader, replacing that used by suse.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Actually, Fedora will let you install it in place of an existing linux partition. Just boot from the DVD and follow the onscreen instructions.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, installation done! ;-)
But a few questions:
:?: How do I change between KDE and Gnome ??
:?: I cannot see my Windows Partitions (C:, D:, E: ) any where in Fedora. How do I mount them in Fedora permanently (I don't want to start my PC and then mount drives everytime)
:?: How is Fedora compared to other LINUXes ??

ujjwal

Padawan
From what I remember from earlier experience with Redhat distro's, there was an option to choose between KDE & Gnome (if both were installed), in the graphical login screen.

About your second query, check the fedora faq in this section, it has the answer.

How is Fedora compared to other LINUXes ??

Well you are using it, so tell us :) different people have different views, I personally did not like fedora much, but I know many who like it a lot. If it works for you, thats all that matters.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
OK, Thanx for the info. But I will try an explore more options by myself. Does Fedora COre 3 by itself have support from its creators?
And my graphics card supports 1024x768 resolution. But Fedora shows maximum upto 800x600. My graphics card is: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64 Pro.
My HCL monitor is not listed in its display settings. How can I set the resolution to 1024x768?

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Oh! Yes, I went to the FEDORA FAQ in the Open Source forum, and tried all the tips given there.
But had the following problem:
I can mount my hard drives, no problem! But, for mounting the hard drives every time, I tried to edit the:
/etc/fstab file
add the following 2 lines at the end and save the file:

/dev/hda1 /home/C defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 /home/D defaults 0 0

But, the file opened in the Emacs text editor and only as read only. So, I could only view the file and not edit it..
Similarly, to change the default login to KDE from GNOME, I tried to edit
/etc/sysconfig/desktop
and change

DESKTOP="GNOME"

to:

DESKTOP="KDE"

But here too, the files opened as read only and I could not make any changes. How can I change the file contents??

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
prettly commonsense man, to edit system files you need to have administrative privilages. You must login from shell/gdm as root user or use su or sudo utilities to edit files in /etc/

And you dont have to use Emacs, rather you can use gedit or something.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
I can log on as administrator in the terminal by su and entering the password, but how to log on as root?? and how to use gedit?
Sorry, if all these questions sound senseless to you but I am a complte newbie.. Although, I have tried exploring a lot of things and then posting on the forum..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
//siddhartha// said:
I can log on as administrator in the terminal by su and entering the password, but how to log on as root??
su command, without any parameters gives you access to root's shell. Or if you know the root's password then you can provide that instead while logging in. You can tell you are root if your shell prompt has a # symbol in the end.

//siddhartha// said:
and how to use gedit?
Have you used Notepad before?

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
So, when I start Fedora, it asks me for my username and password. Now, I should give my normal username and root password and then log on??
Moreover, when I start the files discussed above they open in Emacs directly.. So, I should try to start them through gedit.. OK. lets try it..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Your password is associated with your username. If you enter your username then you have to enter your password. Similarly, if you enter "root" as the username then you are supposed to enter "root's" password only. Hope i am clear, ain't i?

Are you able to start GUI? In that case you can login as "root" user and start GEdit. Then you can say "File >> Open" to open the file you want. Emacs won't bother you then :)

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, everything has worked properly.. But, I have a few questions for display:
I have NIVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64 display card. Fedora does recognize my display card as RIVA TNT2. But my monitor has max. capacity of showing 1024x768 (@ 60Hz) (HCL Monitor). BUt it shows highest only of about 800x600/. So, in KDE, when I tried to change the KDE taskbar options, the dialog boxcovers most space and the "Apply", "Cancel" etc. button appear much below the KDE taskbar ansd so I am unable to clcik on Apply etc. How do I get my resolution to 1024x768?

ujjwal

Padawan
Run xorgconfig as root in a terminal, this will allow you to configure your display hardware. One of the sections will have an option for the resolutions you want to use, be sure to select all the ones you want (and which are supported).

Else, post the contents of the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

BTW, to run xorgconfig, open a terminal (xterm/konsole etc)

Code:
$ su - root
<give root password>
# xorgconfig

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
As said by you, I logged on as root in Konsole and tried to run the "xorgconfig" command but it said "no command found." I tried "#xorgconfig", but it brought me back to the prompt without doing any thing.
Then I logged in to Fedora as root and opened the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in GEdit. I configured the resolutions where "800x600" "640x480" as written in two lines, I added "1024x768" before the both the lines, saved the file.
Then, I rebooted my PC and logged in as a user(in KDE). Then I right clicked on the Desktop and clicked on "Configure Desktop.." and then in the DIsplay tab, I saw all the resolutions upto 800x600 but no 1024x768 ?? What should I do?
>> Two more questions:
1) How to mount an NTFS partition in FC3? The tutorial given in the "Fedora Core FAQ" thread is confusing?
2) How to configure my Smart Link 56K dial up modem? In SUSE, during installation, when I clicked for the list of applications to be installed, I saw the Smart Link modem driver present. But in Fedora, it neither detects my modem (internal) nor were there any drivers during installation.. What should I do?

ujjwal

Padawan
Hmm it seems fedora either has an alternate name for xorgconfig, or uses its own tools instead. system-config-display is one thing you should try.

Did you add "1024x768" to the beginning of each display section? There would be different sections for different colour depths. If it still doesn't work, Fedora is perhaps doing things differently here, someone more familiar with it will be able to help you out a lot better.

sba

Journeyman
//siddhartha//
1) If you are getting xorgconfig as command not found, then first do a "whereis xorgconfig" (without quotes). then type the full path to the command. To be able to use "1024x768" your vbios needs to actually support it.
2) To mount NTFS partitions in Linux we first need to know your kernel version. Give a command "uname -r" (without quotes) on a console window and tell us the output.
3) As for your modem. Check out *www.linmodems.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom