help in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
Hi suyash, Have You installed Gstreamer plugins? Search them in Synaptic Package Manager(System>Administration) or Add/Remove and install them and will be able to make your Ubuntu Multimedia-enabled. Make sure universe, multiverse,etc is enabled (Synaptic>Reposotories).
You will be prompted for root password. Enter YOUR Password when prompted.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Lil prob here

Audio and video not playing

guide me the easy way..

Could be numerous problems. Maybe it would help if you said when ti doesnt work . Like when playing what file ? Or viewing a dvd? Or watching youtube? Usually installing ubuntu-restricted-extras take care of that though.

OP
S

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
hey dude when i goes to install codecs it says "Pllease insert Ubuntu_gatsy_gibbion Disc " and then i put Digit DvD of ubuntu it doesn't expect it :(

Rahim

Married!
Ubuntu DVD doesnot contain proprietary stuff.
Open Software Sources(System>Admin) and uncheck Ubuntu Installation DVD and then reload by typing this in the Terminal(Application>Accessories)
Code:
sudo apt-get update
and now install the codecs. Enter your password when prompted.

OP
S

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
@rahim i unmark this

but when i play a mp3 song it says

Search for suitable codec?
The required software to play this file is not installed. You need to install suitable codecs to play media files. Do you want to search for a codec that supports the selected file?

The search will also include software which is not officially supported.

{cancel} {search}

i pressed search and then a window opened titled "install multimedia codecs" GStremer extra plugins "codecs to play mp3 sid........." This application is provided by the Ubuntu community.

and when i mark{plugin box} the box a new win. appear "Confirm installation of restricted software" The use of this software may be restricted in some countries. You must verify that one of the following is true:

• These restrictions do not apply in your country of legal residence
• You have permission to use this software (for example, a patent license)
• You are using this software for research purposes only

{cancel } {
confirm}

i pressed confirm then it says "The list of applications is not availabe"Click on 'Reload' to load it. To reload the list you need a working internet connection.

{refresh} {cancel}

i pressed refresh and nothing good here same prob again and again

An error occurred
The playback of this movie requires a MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder plugin which is not installed.

:(:(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
DO you have a internet connection? Else try to get these codecs using apt-on-cd from nearby LUG.

Rahim

Married!
Hey suyash you have to be connected to the Internet to get Gstreamer Codes Are your internet working in Ubuntu? Just a query.
You did everything allright but should be online while doing it.
One more thing make sure universe, multiverse, restricted are enabled in Software Sources and then reload.

Last edited:
OP
S

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
its downloading something...... 14 packets

maybe now it will work

Yoooooooooo its done!!!!!! thanks so lot...

Koolll man you rocks i appreciate :d

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Yes it will.
You might add Medibuntu Repo to download some multimedia packages to watch DVDs and other formats.
You are usint Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon", right?
Open A terminal and enter this to add Medibuntu Repo:
Code:
sudo wget *www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
Then, add the GPG Key:
Code:
wget -q *packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

Now Install w32codecs & libdvdcss2 packages:
Code:
sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2

Just take your time and dont get figgity with those commands.

Rahim

Married!
Bhai Linux ka Jadoo chal gayaa:D
Calling me an Expert? Wait till you see praka123(Prakash Bhai)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
HP usually works out of the box. Also, check *help.ubuntu.com/7.10/printing/C/printing.html
More importantly see *wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom