Help for Firefox Needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianarchie

Right off the assembly line
I have recently started using mozilla firefox, and it works nicely...the only thing is..it does not store files in its cache ( i mean..firefox's temporary internet files folder) in an easily accessible manner. It stores each file without its extension, so you dont know what kind of file it is. Now this does not happen in IE or Opera..i can easily see the kind of files in their respective caches. My question is..is there any way i can make firefox store the cached files with their extensions intact...maybe there is some extension or plugin you can suggest?? please help me to find a way out because while browsing, if for example, i view a flash game, i want to be able to pick that file out of the cache later so i can again play it!

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
indianarchie said:
I have recently started using mozilla firefox, and it works nicely...the only thing is..it does not store files in its cache ( i mean..firefox's temporary internet files folder) in an easily accessible manner.
It stores its temporary files according to its own convenience.... You're not supposed to read its cache information.

indianarchie said:
It stores each file without its extension, so you dont know what kind of file it is. Now this does not happen in IE or Opera..i can easily see the kind of files in their respective caches.
There's a reason for that. If the cache files are stored exactly as it is along with its extension then its just a breeze for viruses like Beagle, SomeFool, etc... viruses to scan through your hard disk for html, files and harvest email addresses from it and send virus mails to them...

indianarchie said:
My question is..is there any way i can make firefox store the cached files with their extensions intact...maybe there is some extension or plugin you can suggest??
Why do you want to do that? You can directly view the files inside Nautilus or Konqueror... there's no plugin required for this...

indianarchie said:
please help me to find a way out because while browsing, if for example, i view a flash game, i want to be able to pick that file out of the cache later so i can again play it!
Why is there any need for that? You can directly go the the Firefox's cache directory ( /home/anurag/.mozilla/firefox/default/Cache )and view the image, html, flash files directly.... In Gnu/Linux the extension of a file doesn't matter at all (Unlike other OSes like Micros~1 Windows (TM) ) ... A file's Content-Type determines the action to be taken by the OS not its extension.

OP
I

indianarchie

Right off the assembly line
You're not supposed to read its cache information.

who says i cant browse thru folders on my own hard drive!!!!??

indianarchie wrote:
It stores each file without its extension, so you dont know what kind of file it is. Now this does not happen in IE or Opera..i can easily see the kind of files in their respective caches.

There's a reason for that. If the cache files are stored exactly as it is along with its extension then its just a breeze for viruses like Beagle, SomeFool, etc... viruses to scan through your hard disk for html, files and harvest email addresses from it and send virus mails to them...

Absolutely no problem....and i didnt know that information about viruses..thanks :)

Why do you want to do that? You can directly view the files inside Nautilus or Konqueror... there's no plugin required for this...
[/quote]

You are assuming i am using Linux....GNUrag, i am on Windows XP Pro:)

Why is there any need for that? You can directly go the the Firefox's cache directory ( /home/anurag/.mozilla/firefox/default/Cache )and view the image, html, flash files directly.... In Gnu/Linux the extension of a file doesn't matter at all (Unlike other OSes like Micros~1 Windows (TM) ) ... A file's Content-Type determines the action to be taken by the OS not its extension.

As i said..i am on Windows, so the extension does matter...and the files in the cache folder are stored using meaningless names so i cant make out which is which :(

So what I want to know is..
1) Is there a way in which I can make firefox store the files without renaming them?
2) Is there any extension/plugin/utility which can view the contents of the cache, and allow me to rearrange the list according to the size, or name etc?
3) Where can i request some FireFox developer to create such an extension?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
indianarchie said:
So what I want to know is..
1) Is there a way in which I can make firefox store the files without renaming them?
No
indianarchie said:
2) Is there any extension/plugin/utility which can view the contents of the cache, and allow me to rearrange the list according to the size, or name etc?
No
indianarchie said:
3) Where can i request some FireFox developer to create such an extension?
Mozilla Foundation's Mailing Lists

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
seems like i had missed this post...
anyway, there's no extension to save flash in ff....coz ff doesnt cache files "as is"
but try this: go to tools>page info>media>
here, search for the file...it will be shown as a swf file or as an embedded object...
select the file and click on save as.
hope this solve the prob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom