Help/Doubts regarding my first DSLR for 35k

sujoyp

Grand Master
hey this is not fair Mr.Sounava:razz: untill now at 35k budget I was giving him D3100 combo and u were suggesting D5100

Now for 45k budget situation just reversed:razz::razz:

Sounava

In the zone
Until 35k, whether he was taking D3100 or D5100, the full setup was exceeding his budget anyway. But in 45k, with the above setup everything is fitting nicely. Thats why ;)

I will still say if he can extend his budget to 50k then take the D5100 combo :p

sujoyp

Grand Master
Ok for this time I agree with u :razz: coz macro season is on with rains...people should try macro in this season :razz:

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thanks guys. Let me see whether I can get a hand on D5100 along with the telephoto and macro lenses along with the extension tube specified above.

Also I got a 2005 model vivtar slr (not digital) camera kit for sale
Any idea how much can i grab from the same? The camera is functional.

The components are;

Vivitar V3000 CAMERA

Vivitar Flash : 2000B

Mikona Flash MV123 ( a smaller one)

A syncro eye slave unit ( a small electronic ciruit; no idea what it is and where it is used)

A cell charger for four AA sized batteries

One rubber lens hood

check your pm inbox soon. will share a few photos i clicked so far. Let me hear from you there as well :) ( clicked using Sony Cybershot DSC W220 and edited using PS )

sujoyp

Grand Master
50mm + Extension tube is a setup for macro...u can not take one and leave other for taking macros

Increase ur budget to 50k or get the remaining 5k thing next month...that will fullfill all ur needs

will check ur pics from home :)

Last edited:
OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
There is no point going for a film SLR now. Keep it out of your mind.
Yikes!!!

..And today I went to 2 different dealers. The last price for D5100 is 34.3 and D3100 is 28.5k

Now,coming to lenses, couldnt get further details of all the ones you specified since they didn't have the stock. For zoom one party suggested "SIGMA 70-300 Macro". The name itself created a confusion since they were of the opinion it can be used for macro photography.Got in touch with some other guy over the phone who asked me what I really wanted and whether it is to click butterflies and ants :) . I said "yes" for which he said this can be used for that but won't be as good as the macro lenses. I really didn't understood that part and am confused what exactly the lens does. It costs 8.5k and later another dealer said that this Zoom lens'll give a blurred background except for the first subject matter that it focuses. You can't get the whole frame into focus with this zoom (or macro)lens?

Also,the term conversion tube is something alien to all the dealers here and they were asking whether it is is "reverse ring" . Is it the same? And one dealer said that his brother is using standard 13-55mm along with reverse ring for macro photography.Any idea on the same

And he suggested me another lens which was in his stock.Nikkor 55-300 for 16k ( 2 years warranty).Coming to the all in one sigma lens 18-200 it comes for around 14+ . But dealer was saying the Sigma lens had complaints with autofocus though he wasn't so sure about which sigma lens.

If sticking all "Nikon" it is 34.3 + 16 = 50.3!! and can I use a conversion ring and get a macro out of 18-55 ?? With so much appreciation flowing for D5100 somehow I don't feel like looking at D3100 now :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Look bro everything depend on ur budget....its not a good idea to invest all your money just to get a slightly upgraded SLR...Anyways D5100 is a great SLR no doubt

Also as I already said in some above post that Tamron 70-300 and Sigma 70-300 can be a very cheap option for zoom + macro...but they are somewhat jack of all master of none
They just fail miserably in low light...in terms of autofocus and distortion

If u are getting Nikkor 55-300 for 16k then its a good price...grab it:razz:

If u want everything from starting itself then get what sounava suggested

D3100 kit+55-200+50mm 1.8+ Extension tube (not conversion ring)

Actually the above combo is my own one:razz:

Sounava

In the zone
sujoyp sumd it up nicely. I will just add some points.

I already mentioned earlier about the Tamron 70-300 and the Sigma 70-300. And said that you will not get true macro but 1:2 macro. And the lens costs 7.3k not 8.5k.

this Zoom lens'll give a blurred background except for the first subject matter that it focuses. You can't get the whole frame into focus with this zoom (or macro)lens?
Thats not true. You will come to know when you study about aperture.

Also,the term conversion tube is something alien to all the dealers here and they were asking whether it is is "reverse ring" . Is it the same? And one dealer said that his brother is using standard 13-55mm along with reverse ring for macro photography.Any idea on the same
There is nothing called converison tube. I said "extension tube". If the dealers haven't heard about it, buy from eBay.
Reversal rings are not the same. For reversal rings to work you need a wide angle lens with manual aperture ring.

And he suggested me another lens which was in his stock.Nikkor 55-300 for 16k ( 2 years warranty).Coming to the all in one sigma lens 18-200 it comes for around 14+ . But dealer was saying the Sigma lens had complaints with autofocus though he wasn't so sure about which sigma lens.
I think this Sigma is the NON-OS version.

If sticking all "Nikon" it is 34.3 + 16 = 50.3!! and can I use a conversion ring and get a macro out of 18-55 ?? With so much appreciation flowing for D5100 somehow I don't feel like looking at D3100 now :)
Look D5100 is totally worth the money, but there is no point spending 6k extra on a better body if money is your concern. If you can live without macro, then its alright. Then buy D5100 + 18-55 + 55-200.
And 18-55 cannot be used reversed because it does not have any manual aperture ring.

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thanks a lot people! Probably stick to D5100 + 18-55 + 55-200. Will keep you updated once I pick it!

sujoyp

Grand Master
good we will wait...if u can extend a slightly more get 55-300mm from gray market...its worth..

I have 55-200 and feel that its bit less for birding

Sounava

In the zone
Actually availability of "good" grey markets are a problem in some places. Otherwise the 55-200 is available @ 9k in grey I think. Or maybe 8.5k.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Actually availability of "good" grey markets are a problem in some places. Otherwise the 55-200 is available @ 9k in grey I think. Or maybe 8.5k.

Right...even in nagpur its difficult...I was getting a 55-200 6 month old for 8k in jjmehta...superb deal with 1.5 year warunty

But dad insist to get these sophesticated things new.

Sounava

In the zone
In Kolkata the grey market is very famous and reliable :)
Heck one shop also has their own Facebook page :p

If the item develops some fault within few days, they will replace the item!

You can buy from then With Bill and Warranty too (sealed pack and all) and they charge considerably less than other shops. I bought my 50mm f/1.8D @ 5.4k with Bill and Warranty.

sujoyp

Grand Master
In Kolkata the grey market is very famous and reliable :)
Heck one shop also has their own Facebook page :p

If the item develops some fault within few days, they will replace the item!

You can buy from then With Bill and Warranty too (sealed pack and all) and they charge considerably less than other shops. I bought my 50mm f/1.8D @ 5.4k with Bill and Warranty.

Thats good...I have no other choice but to get lense from jjmehta...

BTW if anyone have budget get the 55mm 2.8macro from buysell section...

Also kenko auto extension tube is for sale for 4k

both are nice deals...

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Hey guys, finally,here it is! I purchased D5100 for 34k and Nikkor 55-300mm for 16k. Love it and is slowly getting a hang of it!!Thanks for all the help :)

Cheers!!

sujoyp

Grand Master
congrats...very good deal...and great combo...

shoot some birds and general shots for now...keep interest in macro pending for some days:razz:

Top Bottom