Help/Doubts regarding my first DSLR for 35k

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Hello digitians

I 'm planning to buy my first DSLR asap. I'll be using the cam for all kind of photography say scenery,people portraits,macro, low light etc. Also, I am fine with doing slight post works using image editing tools . The amount I would like to invest maximum would be around 35k.

After looking around I came to the conclusion that Nikon D3100 would be a good choice. One dealer offered the same for Rs 28.5k with the 18-55mm usual lens that is part of the package. And I am planning to buy a zoom lens ( 70 - 105mm ) which according to the dealer costs around Rs 6k.

( Another option I considered was to look at Canon 500D as well as 550D. The former comes for around 33k but came to know the manufacturing of the same came to a halt while the later comes for 35.5 k approx ).

Is my choice good enough and will it serve my purpose? Or do you have any further suggestions? Also thought Nikon would be better since the majority said it is more user friendly for a newbie or say who isn't a pro.

Looking forward

Sounava

In the zone
I haven't heard any 70-105 lens till now.
I will advice you to buy D5100 now with the kit lens. Save up and purchase more lenses later.

And 500D is not available now. 550D is also a good camera, but as far as I know its prices have increased recently due to the Japan earthquake.

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thanks Sounava!

How much D5100 costs?? (shows 38.75k in jjmehta.). 550D comes for around 35.5k. Even there are rumors that they are going to stop the production since 600D is here in market.

So,

a) how much difference is there between Nikon 3xxxD and 5xxxD series and is it worth the additional amount?

b) Again I would like to get my hands on zoom lens as well since I want to try some macro and low light clicks. What would be the specifics of these lenses ?

Having said these I was parallely having this afterthought since carrying lenses around is not something I am not comfortable with. ie of superzoom set of cameras. Just wondering

c) is there any superzoom camera that can help you in quality clicking of objects in motion as well as in low light with flaws that can be rectified later in image editing tools?

d )Also do they allow you to save images in print resolutions (300 dpi).? ( There was a case where one of my point and shoot click was selected as a book cover , but since I only had the .jpeg image in 72 resolution it never turned a reality )

Looking forward to hearing from you all ..

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
For beginers I would say D3100 is enough ...u can get quality shots from it

for 6k I can think of Tamron 70-300 DiLD may be

U have mentioned ur requirement which covers too much:razz:

I think for starters who want to get everything straight away the combo OP is mentioned is enough

D3100+18-55+tamron 70-300 DiLD

this is a cheap combo and would cover all except low light pics which is ok with 18-55 but superb with 50mm 1.8

Getting a 550D would invest his whole money in kit and body...and he would be left unsatisfied:smile:

Sounava

In the zone
Thanks Sounava!
Youre welcome.
How much D5100 costs?? (shows 38.75k in jjmehta.). 550D comes for around 35.5k. Even there are rumors that they are going to stop the production since 600D is here in market.
D5100 is available for 33k with kit. Max 34k. At that price it is a steal.
a) how much difference is there between Nikon 3xxxD and 5xxxD series and is it worth the additional amount?
So the difference stands at 6k and is definitely worth the additional cost.
b) Again I would like to get my hands on zoom lens as well since I want to try some macro and low light clicks. What would be the specifics of these lenses ?
I dont get you. What does zoom lens have to do with macro or low light?
For low light you need a lens with a wide aperture. For macro you need macro lenses or extension tube + lens with aperture ring.
Having said these I was parallely having this afterthought since carrying lenses around is not something I am not comfortable with. ie of superzoom set of cameras. Just wondering
Yup do consider this before buying. There is no point going for DSLR if you will keep your cam in home and go out empty handed.
c) is there any superzoom camera that can help you in quality clicking of objects in motion as well as in low light with flaws that can be rectified later in image editing tools?
Sadly, no.
d )Also do they allow you to save images in print resolutions (300 dpi).? ( There was a case where one of my point and shoot click was selected as a book cover , but since I only had the .jpeg image in 72 resolution it never turned a reality )
This is a common misconception.
When you have an image, it only has pixels, and no dpi. What the "Properties" tab shows is just misnomer.
Suppose you have a 4000x3000 image and you print it to 8"x6". Then the image will be 500ppi. PPI = pixels per inch. DPI is a specification of the printer. DPI = dots per inch. It means the capability of the printer - how many dots it can print in 1 inch space.
Now suppose you print the same 4000x3000 image to a size of 40"x30". Then the image will have a PPI of 100.
I hope you get the point.
Now you may ask then why is it shown? It is shown for aid in softwares like Adobe Illustrator where there are some ways to work with virtual image print dimensions etc.
That means, you can open any "72dpi image" (in your words) in Photoshop, and convert it to 300dpi or any dpi you wish. Nothing will change.
If you want I can provide you with links.

Anyway, so why was your image not printed? Because of the thing called spatial resolution - the ability to resolve lines. It depends on the capability of the sensor. For example, if you print a 12" length photo from a 12MP point and shoot, it will not look nice coz of poor spatial resolution. But from a 12MP DSLR will look awesome.
So just the number of pixels do not matter, the spatial resolution matters.

And dpi does not matter in this case at all.

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thanks Sujoy and Sounava! Yes D3100 is an option .

D5100 is available for 33k with kit. Max 34k. At that price it is a steal.

I did check D5100 which is offered for 34.5k. But I read that Nikon D5100 supports only F mount lenses . Now what does that mean? I won't get any 3rd party lens for the model??

I dont get you. What does zoom lens have to do with macro or low light?
For low light you need a lens with a wide aperture. For macro you need macro lenses or extension tube + lens with aperture ring.

Oops. Somehow it crossed my mind that higher zoom calls for macro stuff. Pardon my ignorance, but got to admit I have little idea on lenses except for the basic idea of tele, normal and wide angle. And I am yet to understand the numbers associated as well.
How much a basic macro lens cost?

That means, you can open any "72dpi image" (in your words) in Photoshop, and convert it to 300dpi or any dpi you wish. Nothing will change. If you want I can provide you with links.Anyway, so why was your image not printed? Because of the thing called spatial resolution - the ability to resolve lines. It depends on the capability of the sensor. For example, if you print a 12" length photo from a 12MP point and shoot, it will not look nice coz of poor spatial resolution. But from a 12MP DSLR will look awesome. So just the number of pixels do not matter, the spatial resolution matters. And dpi does not matter in this case at all.

Thanks for the details, but if I am not mistaken blowing up an image as you said would make a change since all changes either scaling it up or down calls for a change in number of pixels per inch. So on a specific sheet of paper if you want to get an image printed at its best quality isn't it a norm to have 300 resolution? yet to understand there.

And why image wasn't printed..? This was an online enquiry from an Argentinian Poet since he wanted the picture for his new anthology. And me having this 300dpi impression in mind told him that it wouldn't be fitting well for the print. This is almost a 10 month story and as fate has its way now I was checking for the large size original file I had and it is missing from my HDD :)

Again I'll stay away from superzoom if it won't help me to take pics of objects in motion fairly or in low lights. Finally, I am looking for a cam that can help me in capturing images under most common light conditions including dawn and dusk as well as one lens with decent zoom option for around 35k ..

Sounava

In the zone
I read that Nikon D5100 supports only F mount lenses . Now what does that mean? I won't get any 3rd party lens for the model??
Forget the name F mount. It is just a name. Of course you will get third party lenses.
Suppose I launch a camera company. I need a specification of the back of the lens as well as the mount portion of the body to match right? Otherwise how will the lens fit there?
Nikon calls this the F mount.
Canon, Sony, etc etc all have different names for their mounts.

How much a basic macro lens cost?
A true 1:1 macro lens will cost 18k. (The Tamron 90mm 1:1 lens).
Of course there are cheaper ways to achieve macro too.
Extension tube (500/-) + Reversal ring (200/-) + any manual wide angle lens mounted reverse (say 3k) will give you more than 1:1 ratio. Infact it will give you around 5:1 ratio. But the disadvantage is you will have to set the shutter speed aperture and ISO manually.

Thanks for the details, but if I am not mistaken blowing up an image as you said would make a change since all changes either scaling it up or down calls for a change in number of pixels per inch. So on a specific sheet of paper if you want to get an image printed at its best quality isn't it a norm to have 300 resolution? yet to understand there.
Re-read what I said carefully.

Again I'll stay away from superzoom if it won't help me to take pics of objects in motion fairly or in low lights. Finally, I am looking for a cam that can help me in capturing images under most common light conditions including dawn and dusk as well as one lens with decent zoom option for around 35k ..
How much zoom is decent to you?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I dont understand y do u neglect the Tamron DI LD 70-300 macro lens....its a good option for starters..its sharp and have macro option

I would say if u really keep on investing upto 35k more in comming days then go for

D5100kit+Nikkor 55-300 Vr+Tamron 90mm macro

and if u r not planning to spend soo much in next 1 year then go for a cheaper combo

D3100 +18-105+ 50mm1.8+ reverse

at 35k u r going to spend the whole amount on just a Body + kit lens which is not good

@sounava...y do you want to spend soo much on body alone...I have always heard that the budget should be made 50:50

Sounava

In the zone
Actually the problem is, the Tamron DI LD 70-300 is almost same as the Sigma DG 70-300. It is not at all suitable for low light - look at the aperture. Plus it lacks any kind of stabilization. The macro is 1:2 and not true 1:1 also. Instead of getting this lens at 7.4k it will be wiser option to go for the 55-200VR @ 10k although it lacks macro.

Also, 50mm reversed will not give much magnification. One needs a wide angle lens. Extension tubes give good results with 50mm though. During this weekend I will make some tests on how much magnification is achieved under various setups and post the results here :) [Yes I received the extension tube and reversal ring on Monday :) ]

And there is a reason why I asked him how much zoom is "decent" to him. Coz I had the 18-105 in my mind too. Lets see whether he needs more zoom than that.

Also, I believe spending 5k more on the D5100 body is worth it. I can point out the plus points here. Although it will be perfectly ok if he goes for the D3100 though.

Btw D3100 + 18-105 + 50mm 1.8 = 23 (probably) + 15.5 + 5.6 = 44k plus cost of filters etc. So it is far exceeding his costs.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah u r right in all your comments..but the thing is he have to anyways exceed his budget:razz:

The cheapest I could think of was
D3100+kit = 28k
Tamron Di LD or sigma Dg 70-300 which ever is cheaper = 7k

Soo at least it covers your

18-55+70-300 range

and gives you 2:1 macro

all at 35k:p

The D5100 will alone cost 34k

If he is ready to spend at least 20k more in comming months then my recommendation will be similar to sounava's

D5100 kit for now and nikkor 55-200 or nikkor 55-300 according to ur budget later

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thanks Sounava and Sujoyp for the help! I am also learning a lot here :)

Since you asked on decent zoom , it is something like where I can click the closeup of a bird sitting on a tree or a boat which is say a hundred plus meter in the sea.. ( something like 10x to 12x in common terms..is that right?)

Last edited:

Sounava

In the zone
Then the 18-105 only will not cover your needs. So you may better go for the kit lens + the 55-200. Or you can also consider the Sigma 18-200 OS version, at around 16k I guess. It will save you the hassle of changing lenses, but do note that there will be compromises when going for all-in-one zoom lenses.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I really wish nikon have 18-135 type of lens....18-105 is bit less

forget everything:smile:
Straightaway get my combo...its great and I get quality pics in day as well night...but still exceed ur budget

I have D3100+18-55+55-200 = 28+11=39k

or if changing lens is too much hassel then as sounava said...get sigma 18-200

D3100 without kit+sigma 18-200 = 25+16 = 41

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thank you both once again!! Sounds good.

but do note that there will be compromises when going for all-in-one zoom lenses.

What exactly are those compromises when going for something like Sigma 18-200??

Off from the topic, you may check the link for something new
Start-Up Lytro Aims to Sharpen Focus of Entire Camera Industry - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks for the link...

The compromise are
- low light capability
- No VR
- maybe bit poor built quality
- poorer optics

Sounava

In the zone
^ Um actually the Sigma 18-200 I was talking about is optically stabilised (OS), which is another name for Nikon's VR.

Anyway, the compromises are,
When you view at 100% zoom the images will look less sharp than that taken by a lens which is not a superzoom.
There may be some chromatic aberration (purple fringing that is), though those can be easily corrected in photoshop.
There may be some amount of barrel distortion or pincushion distortion at the extreme wide and extreme tele end respectively, though if you shoot RAW, they can be corrected in Adobe Camera Raw inside Photoshop.

The lens I am talking about is this: "Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM".

Though I would say it is better to go for the 18-55 VR + 55-200 VR combo.

And @sujoy: There isn't much perceptible difference between 105mm and 135mm.
Try this: Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lenses Simulator

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Thanks guys!! Now the good news is, I got a chance to increase the budget to around 45k if needed!! What kind of improvement should I make in that case ??

Sounava

In the zone
Body + Standard lens - D3100+18-55 = 28k
Telephoto - 55-200VR = 11k
Macro - 50mm f/1.8D = 5.6k and Extension tube = 0.5k

Protection of front glass of lens - Hoya HMC UV Filter = 0.2k each for the 18-55 and the 55-200VR

Total = 45.5k

Top Bottom