Help choosing AM3 motherboard (mid-range)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one of these would you recommend considering overclockability and layout etc.?
Any other suggestions?

ECS A785GM-M
DFI LANParty BI 785G-M35
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Edit: Mobo budget is around 5 - 7k

Also, I have chosen the Phenom X4 555 BE as my CPU. How do you rate the configuration? Im trying to build my PC based on this link: *www.techtree.com/India/Guides/Mid-range_Gaming_PC_March_2010_Update/551-109637-556-1.html

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Which one of these would you recommend considering overclockability and layout etc.?
Any other suggestions?

ECS A785GM-M
DFI LANParty BI 785G-M35
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Also, I have chosen the Phenom X4 555 BE as my CPU. How do you rate the configuration? Im trying to build my PC based on this link: *www.techtree.com/India/Guides/Mid-range_Gaming_PC_March_2010_Update/551-109637-556-1.html

can u post the whole system specs & your budget? wil help choose the right component. well usually for Phenom II X4, 790GX based mobo is best along with a aftermarket CPU cooler (OEM HSF).

Asus is simply the best & also its ATX. DFI is also a very good mobo specially if u use IGP. its inbuilt graphics run at 700Mhz as compared to 500Mhz on Asus n ECS.

ECS is the cheapest but still very good mobo. at price below 5k. still my suggestion, get something based on 790GX. also you'll seriously need a OEM HSF to do any OC. cause stock cooler not sufficient.

OP
M

maverick140991

Broken In
My budget is around 17k for the CPU, Mobo, RAM, and Cabinet + PSU. I already have a 640GB WD HDD and a XFX ATI HD4850. Considering my graphic card, I don't think a good IGP would be required (Need a second opinion about that). Can you recommend a good configuration based on by budget, preferably on the 790GX, and also some cooling options..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
My budget is around 17k for the CPU, Mobo, RAM, and Cabinet + PSU. I already have a 640GB WD HDD and a XFX ATI HD4850. Considering my graphic card, I don't think a good IGP would be required (Need a second opinion about that). Can you recommend a good configuration based on by budget, preferably on the 790GX, and also some cooling options..

for 17k, look at this:

Processor: Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz B.E. @ 5.2k //wil unlock to X3 or X4 B55//
Motherboard: ECS A785GM-M @ 4.8k //great core unlocking capability//
Ram: Transcend 2 X 2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz C9: 5.4k
PSU: Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.4k
Cabinet: NZXT Gamma: 2k //best cabby @ 2k//
HSF: Scythe Katana3: 1.5k //best entry level cooler//

total @ 21.3k which is quite a bit above your budget. ok to reduce cost u may get these

Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz @ 5k
Biostar TA785G3 HD: 4.3k
ram is 4gb only :5.4k
FSP Saga II 400 Watts @ 2k
Zebronics Bijli - PSU @ 1.1K
HSF: not needed.

but i still suggest go with 1st config. worth the added cost.

OP
M

maverick140991

Broken In
What do you think about 2 gigs of Corsair instead of 4 gigs of transcend? I got laddus in my mouth seeing that cabinet, its awesome :-o. I intend to go with the first config. Also can you recommend me a good PC retailer (Bombay)?

Last edited:

beelzebub360

♪☺☺♪
for 17k, look at this:

Processor: Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz B.E. @ 5.2k //wil unlock to X3 or X4 B55//
Motherboard: ECS A785GM-M @ 4.8k //great core unlocking capability//
Ram: Transcend 2 X 2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz C9: 5.4k

total @ 21.3k which is quite a bit above your budget. ok to reduce cost u may get these

Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz @ 5k
Biostar TA785G3 HD: 4.3k
ram is 4gb only :5.4k
FSP Saga II 400 Watts @ 2k
Zebronics Bijli - PSU @ 1.1K
HSF: not needed.

but i still suggest go with 1st config. worth the added cost.

Or

Processor: Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz B.E. @ 5.2k //wil unlock to X3 or X4//
Motherboard: Biostar Ta790 @ 5k //great core unlocking capability//
Ram: Transcend 1 X 2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz C9: 2.7k

or u can Seriously opt for Athlon 630 & can save money on cooler
bcoz for Your Graphics Card it should be more than enough

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
What do you think about 2 gigs of Corsair instead of 4 gigs of transcend? I got laddus in my mouth seeing that cabinet, its awesome :-o. I intend to go with the first config. Also can you recommend me a good PC retailer (Bombay)?

well, if u play game, opt for 4Gb ram. corsair rams usually have tight timing, so they help a bit but not too much. 4Gb wil be best. wil suite both processor & the graphics card.

yah, the cabby is awesome. but the real deal is the price. such cabby for 2k from a International reputed company, never seen before.

for retailer, many suggest Prime ABGB. contact them & check the prices.

OP
M

maverick140991

Broken In
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Now I'm seriously confused between the Biostar TA790GX and the ECS A785GM-M. Please guide me on which one to choose so that I can (finally) finalize my config. Do you think my HD4850 can fit in the ECS motherboard comfortably? The motherboard seems to be a small one IMO. My current motherboard is an ECS one and I have troubles fitting my card in due to the crappy layout..

Piyush

Lanaya
Any other suggestions?

ECS A785GM-M
DFI LANParty BI 785G-M35
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO is the best option

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Now I'm seriously confused between the Biostar TA790GX and the ECS A785GM-M. Please guide me on which one to choose so that I can (finally) finalize my config. Do you think my HD4850 can fit in the ECS motherboard comfortably? The motherboard seems to be a small one IMO. My current motherboard is an ECS one and I have troubles fitting my card in due to the crappy layout..

i wil suggest ECS over bio any day. but considering the price diff, bio is also a very good buy. well the Biostar TA790GXB3 have 1 problem though. max TDP is 125W. means no Phenom II X6 proccy is supported. whereas ECS wil easily handle it. well i wil suggest u either pay 4.8k & get ECS or save 500 bucks & get Bio 785G3 HD.

HD4850 wil fit easily. yes, mATX board are usually are cramped for space & fitting a graphics card sometimes may turn out to be a nightmare. well try get the ECS. its best at below 5k. but i heard it have some problem with its bios. if its solved, close your eyes & get ECS. its damn good for its price.

beelzebub360

♪☺☺♪
You can opt for
biostar 790 GX A3+
as it is am3+ nd 140w TDP(support latest Porcessor's)
runs DDR3 memory up to 1600 MHz(o.c), has two PCI-Express 2.0 x16 for CrossFireX,12.0" x 9.6" in size & is BEST VFM..
N should easily fit Your Card..

:idea:

OP
M

maverick140991

Broken In
Ok, I'll be going with either of these two as the motherboard along with the prices quoted by Compuguide (Andheri)

• Asus M4A785TD-V EVO + Phenom X2 555 BE - Rs. 11900
  • Asus M4A78T-E + Phenom X2 555 BE - 14250

For the RAM, I intend to go with 2 Gigs of Transcend retailing at Rs. 2950

As for the PSU, my retailer does not stock the Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W. He had a Gigabyte 400W PSU retailing at Rs. 2200

He also did not stock the NZXT Gamma :cry:. As for the Scythe Katana 3, he did not stock that too, although he says he has a Cooler Master one for Rs. 2500.
Please recommend me an alternative cabinet, HSF and a PSU that fits my budget. Kindly check out the prices and tell me if I'm being ripped off.

Thanks in advance..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ok, I'll be going with either of these two as the motherboard along with the prices quoted by Compuguide (Andheri)

• Asus M4A785TD-V EVO + Phenom X2 555 BE - Rs. 11900
  • Asus M4A78T-E + Phenom X2 555 BE - 14250

For the RAM, I intend to go with 2 Gigs of Transcend retailing at Rs. 2950

As for the PSU, my retailer does not stock the Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W. He had a Gigabyte 400W PSU retailing at Rs. 2200

He also did not stock the NZXT Gamma :cry:. As for the Scythe Katana 3, he did not stock that too, although he says he has a Cooler Master one for Rs. 2500.
Please recommend me an alternative cabinet, HSF and a PSU that fits my budget. Kindly check out the prices and tell me if I'm being ripped off.

Thanks in advance..

ok so heres the final config:

Processor: Phenom II 555 @ 5.2k
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO @ 6.5k or any cheap mobo ~4.5k. Asus M4A78T-E is based on 790GX with crossfire support. well its costly & i won't suggest u until u absolutely sure u'll need crossfire in future.
Ram: Transcend 2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz C9: 2.8k (i suggest 4Gb)
Hard Disk: old
Graphics Card: old
Optical Drives: LG 22X SATA DVD-RW @ 1.1k
PSU: Gigabyte 400W @ 2200. not good. if u paying so much, i suggest u get something like Corsair CX400W @ 3k. also i doubt it'll be able handle your card well.
Cabinet: CM Elite 310 @ 1.7k
HSF: CM Hyper 212+ @ 2.2k or u may order some other cooler online from Lynx India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom