HDD gone bad any bad sector repair tool???

Status
Not open for further replies.

orc

n00b
dabster said:
That's correct, go for replacement if still in warranty, no point just wandering around for a software solution to a hardware problem.
Still if its out of warranty, use seatools (*www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools) to check and repair(relocate sectors).
Seatools doesn't recognise any hdd except seagate's. The best you can do now is to backup all the data and just return it.
These tools makes no sense at all to me. You can't recover corrupt data nor fix the bad sector permanently. Its just delaying your hdd's inevitable death.
They can be at best used to regularly check your hdd's health and move data from sectors that are about to fail.
more ever when you can RMA it why bother running useless scans that takes hours?

orc

n00b
dabster said:
Seatools recognizes all PATA/SATA HDDs(SCSI not sure), seatools software is not owned by seagate.
Are you sure about it? Because it didnt recognise the samsung hdd I had plugged with a message 'No seagate discs found'.
I was using the seatools when they had that online diagnostic thing.

dabster

In the zone
orc said:
Are you sure about it? Because it didnt recognise the samsung hdd I had plugged with a message 'No seagate discs found'.
I was using the seatools when they had that online diagnostic thing.

I too have Samsung HDD and it works for me. here *www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS.iso
Download the iso burn it, boot directly from CD and bang! it works...

Dunno what "online diagnostic thing" is...

slugger

Banned
Hey guyz

i called up d Seagate service center and they promptly agreed to replace my HDD and dey even more promptly hung up b4 i could seek clarification

what will happen to my data on the HDD?

how will I b able to transfer the data from my old HDD to my new HDD?

do they let us take the old HDD back for at least 1 day with the new HDD? (if they do then all my problem solved :D)

it is simply not possible to burn d content on DVDs as i got 200GB+ worth of data and i know nobody who has got that kind of free space left and not possible to spread d data to diff freind's HDD :D

slugger

Banned
lets c

i will take all my boot CDs with me and if dey dont allow me to take it back, will ask them if i can partition d new HDD there itself so at least i can transfer d files properly

it is not actually 200+ i just added up all d data
comin to 193.xx GB :D

lets c either tommorow or monday

vish786

"The Gentleman"
slugger said:
lets c

i will take all my boot CDs with me and if dey dont allow me to take it back, will ask them if i can partition d new HDD there itself so at least i can transfer d files properly

it is not actually 200+ i just added up all d data
comin to 193.xx GB :D

lets c either tommorow or monday

can u tell me ur prob in detail may b i can help.

slugger

Banned
vish786 said:
can u tell me ur prob in detail may b i can help.

my HDD is under warranty and d guys have agreed to replace it

but my prob is dat i got 190GB+ worth of data stored on it and pretty much nothing can b deleated

what i want to know is that how can i transfer all the data from the old HDD to the new HDD

do they let us take the old HDD back for a day or two?
if they do it then I can easily parition my new HDD and transfer the data to the new 1

but if they dont, then what shall i do?

i wanted to seek clarifcation from them on this issue but d b***h hung up b4 i could ask her :mad:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@slugger
didn't i tell you? dunno abt others but at least seagate does :)

afaik, the guy will replace the disk on the spot (at least thats what happened wid me). so jus ask him to make a partition and transfer ur data to the new one. he'll most likely obliege. they won't allow u to take both the hdds. no way.

edit: don't tell him u haf 1mb of bad sectors. jus tell him that the hdd has developed bad sectors in the warranty period. get a zerox copy and the original bill wid u. he may keep the copy. also take in the casing (if any) along.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
slugger said:
around 1 MB of bad sectors in 6 months :(

most probably hdd suffering shocks :p, like infra said they wont give both hdds ;), hopefully u can seat their and transfer that huge data :D

slugger

Banned
infra_red_dude said:
@slugger
didn't i tell you? dunno abt others but at least seagate does :)

well Seagate has assuared me that it will be repalced immediately

infra_red_dude said:
so jus ask him to make a partition and transfer ur data to the new one. he'll most likely obliege.

well i have 7 partition with NTFS+FAT32 combo :)
hope they have lots of time to kill :D

infra_red_dude said:
edit: don't tell him u haf 1mb of bad sectors. jus tell him that the hdd has developed bad sectors in the warranty period. get a zerox copy and the original bill wid u. he may keep the copy. also take in the casing (if any) along.

thanx buddy, never occured to me not to tell him about d exact amount of bad sectors

dabster

In the zone
slugger said:
well Seagate has assuared me that it will be repalced immediately
okay, so u got the new disk? did they allow you to copy...?
as for samsung they say that while giving HDD itself they tell to take backup and also they don't replace hdd then and their, they send it for testing and then whatever the result you get new/refurbished hdd. So is it same with seagate and about Western digital ? how abt their service ? though all 3 manufacturere now hv 5 yr warranty but then which has the best service?

orc

n00b
dabster said:
I too have Samsung HDD and it works for me. here *www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS.iso
Download the iso burn it, boot directly from CD and bang! it works...

Dunno what "online diagnostic thing" is...
The previous version of seatools. they had an tool where you could scan the disks online from within windows. no need for any bootable disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom