HDD gone bad any bad sector repair tool???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
4 year old Samsung 80gb hdd went bad, XP could not run chdisk on it nor it could format it even in safe mode.
The disk had 2 partition & it was showing only 1 of it that to no data on it.

Is there any good freeware bad sector repair tool (though it did not report bad sector but I suspect)to repair the hdd, how effectively does this work after repair.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
believe me, once an hdd has gone bad the repair is only temporarily. it'll start wid this all over again after a few dayz. its best to replace it.

there are some utilties to remap but as i said the reliability is not guaranteed.

mhdd, victoria, spinrite (paid), hdd regenerator (paid again) are some of the software.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
they try to map the bad sectors to the good spare sectors and help in recovering data (not guaranteed). but repairing of bad sectors is not al all possible thru any software (neither hardware, coz for that you need to replace the platter which is not viable). one bad sector is like a rotten apple.. it'll slowly rot all the other apples! :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yes, you can try it then. but its a paid software. you may also try mhdd then. but none haf worked for my hdd which had bad sectors. mebbe coz the no. had increased substantially. hey don't the samsung hdds haf 5 year warranty? why don't you claim it then?

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Is it???
I was thinking that it had to be 5yrs warranty...................let me call the guy & confirm this.
Thanks

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
whatever it is, jus call up and confirm. coz if i remember rite samsung was the first to come up wid 5 year warranty.... no harm in making sure...

slugger

Banned
are bad sectors covered under warranty period?

i had bought a 250 GB HDD in Feb

and it has succeeded in developing 1MB+ of bad sectors (plz dont ask :D)

i have a reciept which i got while buying that HDD from the dealer

he also gave me this seagate service center number

will gave them a call first thing tommorow

thanks infra_red_dude for bringing up this solution (replaciment never occured to me :rolleyes:)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
dunno abt samsung, but i and my fren got our hdds which had developed bad sectors widin the warranty period replaced from the seagate dealer. you may wanna give it a try :)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
actually 1 can stop using bad sectors, and use the other space.
1 of my firend had few bad sectors on 40 gb hdd. so around 10 gb of space was removed and now he using tat drive as logical with 30 gb space.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
tracing that will take ages! and then you need to carefully cut that part and create a parition wid the remaining. anyways, try a replacement first, if it doesn't work then try to remap if that doesn't happen either then mark the bad sectors and do as vish says, shun the bad sector part and use the rest.

dabster

In the zone
longlife said:
New HDDs carry 5 years warr, previously in 2004/2003 3 years warranty and earlier 1 year warranty
That's correct, go for replacement if still in warranty, no point just wandering around for a software solution to a hardware problem.
Still if its out of warranty, use seatools (*www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools) to check and repair(relocate sectors).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom