OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
hmm bought a new hdd samsung 80 gb 7200 rpm @ 2950/-
but still i want spinrite pls give it to me

magnet

Youngling
guys i lost my old hard disk 80gb(physical damage)--->pin was damaged........i went to the service centre...the guy told it cant b repaired its of no use......i bought it 6months bak........................after begging little bit.....he told that pcb of the disk need to b changed......as i dont go often to the place he told me to meet outside the centre................there he took 750buks frm me..... and gave me a new disk................

i jus wanted to ask whether i was cheated anyhow..........?????or the pin damage comes under warranted...according to me physical damage is out of warranty

bharathbala2003

why need title?
guys i got a prob in my hdd.. its 40GB hdd wit FAT32 partion.. of 4 partions.. and am running Win 98.. from yday when ever i shutdown or restart i get the scan disk b4 enterin windows.. and it said ther was one bad sector in DRIVE E(one of the partion) there is nothing very important in that drive except GTA VC which i dont mind del. but there r a few other files that am listing below.. can u suggest if i can format this partion alone??

Hlinkprx.dll
Msimrt.dll
Msimrt16.dll
Msimrt32.dll
Msimusic.dll
Ppintlv.dll
Rappt.dll
T2embed.dll
Urlmon.dll
Wininet.dll
Hlink.dll

AlienTech

In the zone
Well you can high level format a partition. But sometimes that alone wont fix the problem. You can only low level format the entire disk. low level format actually erases and re writes the entire track. While a high level format only writes data sectors. (now windows format does not even write data, it only writes out a blank fat file allocation table). Also NOW low level format on IDE drives is not possible, Only mapping out bad sectors, this is because drives use weird geometry that can only be done using expensive calibration equipment. So those low level format programs just map out and block bad sectors.

So what this means is :) well programs lately does not work very well to fix problems so you have to go deeper and deeper and all it does it erase file names, drives, partition info etc etc the deeper you go.. They dont really format anything any more.

Oh yea, spinrite well... Its good for trying to recover data.. Not so good to fix a bad drive.. The drive will go bad again real fast even if it is fixed. Because even spinrite does not reformat the drive. Which can only be done at the factory.

In the old days before IDE a low level format actually erased the drive and rewrote everything so it fixed a lot of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom