HD7950 crossfire query and upgrade suggestions

techdabangg

Broken In
Guys... I own a Asus Direct CU II HD7950 (Non-boost) card and I absolutely adore it. It still can handle every game out there at ultra setting on 1080p resolution.
Now I wanted to know can I crossfire it with R9 280 ? I was thinking about this - Buy Online SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB GDDR5 OC BOOST Graphic Card in India since HD7950 is not available now in market.

Also late me know if it is advisable to do so and if not what are my other option of upgrading

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
yes, it is perfectly possible. post your complete config. you can get r9 280 at a cheaper rate locally as 280x is available around 21.5k Sapphire AMD/ATI Dual-X R9 280X 3GB Graphic Card - Buy Graphic Cards Online @ Best Prices on Snapdeal.com

OP
T

techdabangg

Broken In
full config - i5 3570k, Maximus V Formula, G Skill 2400 MHz trident 16Gb, Corsair AX850
Let me know best upgrade path for gaming... go for hd7950 & 280 crossfire or sell my HD7950 and go for some other gfx?

- - - Updated - - -

also can 280x be corssfired with my 7950? if yes will it be good option?

Last edited:

rock2702

Padawan
full config - i5 2570k, Maximus V Formula, G Skill 2400 MHz trident 16Gb, Corsair AX850
Let me know best upgrade path for gaming... go for hd7950 & 280 crossfire or sell my HD7950 and go for some other gfx?

You got an awesome configuration :thumbup:

I would advise you to sell the 7950 and go for a sapphire 290 trix oc.3gb vram is getting used by games even at 1080p.So better go with a single high end card having 4gb vram instead of going for crossfire.No driver issues in any games unlike multi gpu setup.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
full config - i5 2570k, Maximus V Formula, G Skill 2400 MHz trident 16Gb, Corsair AX850

- - - Updated - - -

also can 280x be corssfired with my 7950? if yes will it be good option?

as [MENTION=147168]rock2702[/MENTION] mentioned, better sell the 7950 and get a single powerful card. currently sapphire r9 290 tri -x (one of the best cooler for hot 290) is available at 32.8k.

OP
T

techdabangg

Broken In
how old is it? how much warranty is remaining?

It was purchased in Aug 2012. I am not sure how much of warranty does Asus provide... if it is 3 years then remaining warranty is 13 months now and if it was 1 year then card is out of warranty.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
It was purchased in Aug 2012. I am not sure how much of warranty does Asus provide... if it is 3 years then remaining warranty is 13 months now and if it was 1 year then card is out of warranty.

asus provides 3 years of warranty. so you have 1 healthy year left. you can bargain for 13-14k.

OP
T

techdabangg

Broken In
asus provides 3 years of warranty. so you have 1 healthy year left. you can bargain for 13-14k.

So I should better upgrade to sapphire 290 non x... but is it advisable? when is the next bacth of GPUs from nvidia scheduled to release? I am not sure about sapphire quality.. Asus card is absolutely fantastic build wise and has massive OC potential. has been using for 23 years now and no signs of wear and tear what so ever.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
[MENTION=155757]techdabangg[/MENTION] - why sell that monster card off yours? I also have the same card and when OCed there isn't a game on planet which it can't handle. I also have one of these. I would suggest to hold off till you find hD7950 really outdated or you find a game which it can't let you play. And don't go for anything else than Asus direct cu II coolers.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
[MENTION=155757]techdabangg[/MENTION] - why sell that monster card off yours? I also have the same card and when OCed there isn't a game on planet which it can't handle. I also have one of these. I would suggest to hold off till you find hD7950 really outdated or you find a game which it can't let you play. And don't go for anything else than Asus direct cu II coolers.

not really better for r9 290.

Top Bottom