Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Original review link -
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gtx285sli-hd4890cf.html

1. Power Consumption

*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gtx285sli-hd4890cf/mgpu_power.png

Well, the power consumption is not bad, it's 49W behind GTX 285 SLi, but 26W ahead of GTX295.

2. CRYSIS Warhead
*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gtx285sli-hd4890cf/crysiswh.png
We see the HD4890 CF more or less match the GTX285 SLi, which is very commendable indeed. However, on an overage, it's 3fps short.

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gtx285sli-hd4890cf/scs.png
Again we see the HD4890 CF just trailing behind the GTX285 SLi, a very good feat, considering 2xHD4890 costs 150$+ less than 2xGTX285.

4. Devil May Cry 4
*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gtx285sli-hd4890cf/dmc4.png
Again we see HD4890CF neck to neck with the GTX285 SLi, however, HD4890CF wins in 2 of the middle resolutions.

5. World in Conflict: Soviet Assault
*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gtx285sli-hd4890cf/wicsa.png
We see the predominant nVidia cards rule this game.

6. Conclusion

- The games (except WIC) that are on this page do not favour nVidia or ATi, so as to have a fair match.
- In the performance segment, GTX285 SLi is the clear winner.
- In the power Consumption + VFM segment, HD4890CF is the WINNER.

Not just that. Did you read fully ? HD4890CF beats GTX285SLi @ highest resolution, and ties @ 1080p gaming, which are the ONLY two resolutions you should consider if you actually plan on gaming with these beasts. So I think HD4890CF DOES beat GTX285 SLi where it matters.

x3060

A LOTR fan
yes ...AMD these days has got everything right going in their graphics department since 4x series ....i think they have found the sweet spot of making their cards deliver great.

amitash

Intel OCer
nothing unexpected there...But if your going for a dual card setup then 2xgtx275 would be the best choice at the moment...It fits in between 4890 and gtx285 in perf and beats it in power consumption.

And Again, only 4 benches have been shown by OP here...all leaning towards ati's side, though nvidia stilll wins...Take a look at that review on the other 11 games where nvidia has a much larger perf difference....What I see is a 2x4890 is barely managing to beat a gtx295 at a higher power consumption rate....2xgtx285 is the king but way to expensive....So 2xgtx275 looks like the best vfm sli config out there right now...Or maybe a gtx295 slightly OCed

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

And Again, only 4 benches have been shown by OP here...all leaning towards ati's side, though nvidia stilll wins.
dude, I did not include any benchies where ATi has any advantage. Nor have I done it with nVidia!!!!

WIC is nVidia way, but it's not here.
GRID is ATi way, but it's not here.

I'm not prejudiced, only fair.

amitash

Intel OCer
^Lol how is that being "fair"? If more games support one companies card then its only fair to call that card a better performer because, well it performs better!...Thats ATi's problem not ours, we are looking for performance in all the current games....

Oh and BTW i just OCed my gtx 295 slightly to 595mhz core and 1285Mhz Shader clock and Ran crysis and FC2 benchmarks at the same 1680x1050 settings as give in the above posted review....I got an average 39fps in crysis and 85fps in FC2....It beats the 2x4890

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

yup, i dun understand y nVidia clocked their cards so low, I mean:-

GTX260, core = 576MHz, a joke really, with 650MHz, it wud beat HD4870 everywhere. Guess they didn't want it to go too near the GTX280 right?

BTW- Try keeping Core:Shader ratio at 1:2
aka, core = 625MHz, then keep shader = 1250MHz

I heard that is the best performance ratio, read it somewhere.

amitash

Intel OCer
^Will give the 1:2 rati a try...And nvidia didnt want to clock the gtx260 higher because it would consume much more power...Same with gtx280.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^^yep, but nVidia's done an amazing job, with the power consumption I mean.

GTX260 has abour 165W TDP I guess, but GTX295 has only 240W!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom