Have 15-20k, want desktop...

yogamoorthy

Broken In
Hello World,

There are many posts with similar requests. Too many, because of which I am starting this thread.

I am looking for a rig without monitor for 15-20k and I have the following reservations

Processor: AMD
HDMI Output needed
Speakers not required
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Monitor budget not included

Purpose is basic home use with nearly no gaming. I would like a low end card as I sometimes play games like Age of Mythology.

Planning to make the purchase next week. Highly appreciate your feedback.

Yoga

P.S. I have decided the cabinet to be either Zebronics Bijli or iBall Workhorse. What do you guys think?

AMD X4 635 - 5k
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H - 4.5k
Kingston 2X2GB DDR3 1333 Mhz -- 3.8k
500 GB HDD -- 1.8k
Zebronics Bijli -- 1.5k
Wireless Combo Microsoft -- 1.3k

Hope it helps.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
I meant model...but i forgot that u were not into gaming. Anyways-

AMD Athlon II x4 640 @ 5.2k
Gigabyte GA 880GM UD2H @ 4.5k
Corsair 2 * 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz @ 3.6k
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ 1.8k
LG 22X SATA DVD @ 0.9k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Wireless K & B @ 1.5k

Total - 20.6k

u wont need a discreet gfx for ur purpose. HDMI is there.

Last edited:
I would not need a graphics card with the above rig?

and will there be a hdmi output?

thanks harry

For your purpose, the onboard ATI Graphics Chip is more than sufficient. And it comes with a HDMI port too.

If you want to use full 20k, then you can change the Cabby and PSU as suggested by Jaskanwar.

OP
yogamoorthy

yogamoorthy

Broken In
Thanks for all the replies!

Would it be better to buy AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition instead of the ones mentioned earlier?

depends on ur usage ! If you are into Gaming mostly, then 555 is a good choice. Otherwise for Multitasking X4 635/640 is a better choice.

OP
yogamoorthy

yogamoorthy

Broken In
can the motherboard be a little cheaper guys? something that will accomodate the rest of the config...and I don't intend to upgrade

lastly will the mother board be compatible with AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, just in case...

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
can the motherboard be a little cheaper guys? something that will accomodate the rest of the config...and I don't intend to upgrade

lastly will the mother board be compatible with AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, just in case...

can be just "little" cheaper. Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H. but again availability issues.

yes, will be perfectly compatible. proccy is AM3 & motherboard socket is AM3.

OP
yogamoorthy

yogamoorthy

Broken In
Hello World,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I placed the order with the Jaskanwar recommended. Except that I settled for 2GB RAM instead of 4GB. Also, I still have not decided on the cabinet as the dealer's got only iBall.

What's funny was that his prices were slightly lower for all components. But I imagined you guys mentioned lower prices and haggled for some time with some success. Finally, without the keyboard and mouse, cabinet, and 2GB Ram, it settled to 14 grand.

Lastly, is the Logitech G1 keyboard and mouse any good?

Yoga

P.S. The guy was selling the X2 555 cheaper than X4 640...in deltapage its otherwise...any comment?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Phenom II X2 555 is a dual core processor with higher clock speed, 6 MB of L3 cache and an unlocked multiplier for extreme overclocking.
As today's most of the games are optimized for not more than 2 cores, higher clock speed of 555 and good overclocking potential to break Gigahertz limit and a large L3 cache make X2 555 a very good gaming processor.

But in multi-tasking and other multimedia related applications Athlon II X4 will perform better as they have 4 cores compared to 2 Cores of 555.

Now Athlon II 640 is also clocked @ 3 GHz, which is very good speed for gaming. It only lacking easy overclocking features, I.E. unlocked multiplier. So at Stock speed even the difference in gaming will be marginal.

Top Bottom