Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
@ Janitha,

Yeah I've seen that too, however consumer support is one of the most important factors while buying it.. I read somewhere in this forum only about a bad experience with ASUS dvd rw, and to add to that the sales and support staff were noobs making it very frustuating.

So even if a device is like supposedly used by the experts, unless there is proper support staff when there is a problem, I'd stay away from that product. Buying a fast moving/selling and known product is the best bet in case your product goes bad and needs a replacement.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
@ Janitha,

Yeah I've seen that too, however consumer support is one of the most important factors while buying it.. I read somewhere in this forum only about a bad experience with ASUS dvd rw, and to add to that the sales and support staff were noobs making it very frustuating.

So even if a device is like supposedly used by the experts, unless there is proper support staff when there is a problem, I'd stay away from that product. Buying a fast moving/selling and known product is the best bet in case your product goes bad and needs a replacement.

Absolutely true. Pioneers are preferred for dual layer writing, scanning etc. But even two days back I bought a Samsung SH 223B since there is a service centre even in this small city, though Asus too was available. My earlier one too was Samsung.(SH 203B)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ janitha - I've replaced one of my asus DVD writer 2 times and all of them were giving same prob.

BTW, they replaced my new DVD drive with some old drive ( same model ) and next time they replaced with with a different model ( it was also old ). Though I've complained about it they refused to give me a new DVD drive.

The 2nd replacement drive worked fine for amonth and then it stopped working on july.
As I've received very bad customer support for them and being frustrated I'm unwilling
to send it back again for replacement. I would only send it back for replacement if they will agree to give me a new replacement drive but nobody cannot guarantee over that. So I belive asus has only repair or replacement with old drive policy for DVD writers which is very bad. So I said to stay away from asus DVD drives as Xeno pointed good product not only depends on it's quality but it's greaty depend on good after sales service.

@ desibond - My bad, haven't noticed about xbox 360.
Thanks for adding asus DVD writers. This will save many consumers :p

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
BTW, they replaced my new DVD drive with some old drive ( same model ) and next time they replaced with with a different model ( it was also old ). Though I've complained about it they refused to give me a new DVD drive.

The 2nd replacement drive worked fine for amonth and then it stopped working on july.
As I've received very bad customer support for them and being frustrated I'm unwilling
to send it back again for replacement. I would only send it back for replacement if they will agree to give me a new replacement drive but nobody cannot guarantee over that. So I belive asus has only repair or replacement with old drive policy for DVD writers which is very bad.

Yet another example of a good product being ruined by a bad service.
I've had the experience when I owned a motorola V3i, they took 2 months just to get the display replaced, the V3i was a popular enough set, forget about the service for sets a bit less known.

Learnt a good lesson from this. Warranty doesnt mean much if your product will be going back to the service center and lie there for a month or more. What about the time you didnt get to use the gadget even ? There's no compensation for that.

haider_up32

Broken In
you people didnt add Compaq/HP nvidia Laptops

*www.tomshardware.com/news/HP-Having-Nvidia-Chipset-Issues,7669.html

*h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Display&message.id=5990

*www.techenclave.com/laptops/disgraceful-truth-hp-laptops-hp-services-145246.html

*hplies.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=276

Ypschita

Right off the assembly line
Hi
Am looking for a basic machine to do heavy duty Word/ Excel/ PDF related stuff. And loads of space.
Which motherboard and processor should I go for?
I want atleast 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 320 X 2 SATA HDD, DVD RW Drive, Standard USB ports and Audio/ Video, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.
What should I look for and how much will it cost approximately in Mumbai?
Regards!

clayhead

Right off the assembly line
Sony PSP 1001
the 14,000 rs value pack
waste of money buttons get jammed and dont work espesially the " X " button
yeah if anybody knows how to fix it plz mail me clayheadstudios@gmail.com

and

sony cybershot DSC-s730
bad feature and low mp rate grainny pics

and

tata indicom internet connection ( broadband )
worst speed and worst service

and

telenet tndsl 2120
worst modem in history

and

Sony Ps2 "fat version"
xtreamly long time to load and read a dvd and memory card

and

my computer of corse

he he he but its true

venkat0052

I Can Therefore I Am
plz don't buy dynet rams and asus motherboard
dynet rams are getting trouble thrice in a year and asus does not support ethernet booting

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's same as LAN booting. You can istall OS on comp without a ODD or usb drive. Just Place the bootable media in the server and set the other comp to boot from LAN/NIC.
BTW, the OS ( installation media ) must support LAN/NIC booting. Most linux distros supports LAN booting by default though :p

these links will help you a lot :p

*versalogic.com/kb/kb.asp?kbid=1371
*msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms901800.aspx
*www.ethernut.de/en/eboot/index.html

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
did you apply the firmware fix that seagate release for 7200.12?

Anyways, do agree that seagate hdd's are facing serious reliability issues for past year

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ If I'm not wrong that was for 7200.11 series disks ( as I applied the firmwire fix ) :p

paroh

Padawan
Never buy any product from Rashi Peripherals Pvt Ltd Nehru Place Delhi. They are the one of the worst after sales services provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom