Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

surinder

Tech addict
I swear this is really an issue with Hardware computer vendors these days, they really take the layman for a ride..!! I see tons of people getting fooled at the electronics market (Nehru Place), at Delhi.

1. Customer Walks in -- requests a product. (Example Processor).
2. He is shown the product but the oldest model. (Example a P4).
3. Price is slightly over quoted.
4. Bullshit features are listed by the seller (Example fast L1 cache).
5. Customer does not understand this jargon, but is impressed.
6. Seller recommends to buy without CC or bill -- to save VAT.
7. Customer buys and walks off.
8. Next Customer Walks in.........

By the way I got a Microsoft Wireless (3000 series) mouse. It is damn shitty. The clicks are so hard, and at times..it just freezes. Does the USB connector (which has the laser receptacle) need to have a 'line-of-sight' with the mouse. I placed the USB connector at the back of my system. For now I have removed the mouse, and back to the good old, wired one...! Any suggestions for this..experiences..??
Situation in tear two and three cities is even more worse.
They have simple funda unaware the buyer better it be.
And whats more here are vendors in smaller cities who even don't know much about computing neither they are interested then how can they offer best solutions and best bang for bucks to there customers.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Situation in tear two and three cities is even more worse.
They have simple funda unaware the buyer better it be.
And whats more here are vendors in smaller cities who even don't know much about computing neither they are interested then how can they offer best solutions and best bang for bucks to there customers.

Ya..this is a sad situation. Thats why this time round, when I got my stuff, I ordered it all from Lynx..prices were reasonable, service was good too.

Vendors offering 'best bang for bucks'..is a dream..no matter what product you choose...!

icehot

Broken In
I also dislike moserbaer DVDs. I feel CDs are OK
SONY is the best for blank CD/DVD.
Regarding viewsonic-I am satisfied.
Strangely, my samsung LCD developed problems--but still I feel it may be a rare case as I believe samsung

icehot

Broken In
Apple ipod--Horrible--
My display failed, though it works still.(after 1 year)
My friend's ipod completely was out within 2 months and it was not replaced
Another friend's ipod menu button got stuck
Ofcourse, ipod is wonderful to listen and I was proud to own it once upon a time

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@icehot, what is the reason that Apple gave for refusing to replace ipod. is it bought in grey market?

FYI, the failure rate of ipod is very very low. Few instances here and there won't make a product "not-to-buy" kind.

I bought nano about 4 yrs ago and it is still working (like millions of other ipods).

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
@icehot, what is the reason that Apple gave for refusing to replace ipod. is it bought in grey market?

FYI, the failure rate of ipod is very very low. Few instances here and there won't make a product "not-to-buy" kind.

I bought nano about 4 yrs ago and it is still working (like millions of other ipods).

Me too i have bought iPod nano 8GB 2 years ago...it works without even the slightest of errors.

Most of my friends have a iPod and no one has complains except 1 with the classic 30GB the menu button has to be pressed very hard to work.....
So iPod is good in terms of build quality and durability

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Apple ipod--Horrible--
My display failed, though it works still.(after 1 year)
My friend's ipod completely was out within 2 months and it was not replaced
Another friend's ipod menu button got stuck
Ofcourse, ipod is wonderful to listen and I was proud to own it once upon a time

Why were you not able to replace the iPOD after 2 months of use and failure, are the warranties..that low..??

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@asigh, am sure that apple warranty is pretty good. you get a 1yr warranty and can extend it to another year by paying around 1500 bucks (not sure what exact amount is)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
As we discussed a bit about Hardware vendors.

Last week when I picked up my Hyper 212 --- the shopkeeper told me..that the packaging has Coolermaster TIM. I was OK...great..then he said..your CPU will also have some stuck to it..remove that using petrol....I almost flipped...ha ha ha

haider_up32

Broken In
Kingston value ram ddr2 800mhz 2 pieces (short model). i bought it accidently from computer empire after paying at 1st floor and receiving it on 2nd. it was exported the same month by computer empire . it doest meet jedec ddr2 specs. it runs at 6-6-6-18 and doesnt overlock much.I sold 1 of the modules.

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
@desibond, bumped on your first post in this thread.. terrific list. Thanks a ton. it would come in handy. I wonder if you updated it since then?

Though there is one generic 'No' from you about AA powered DigiCams. Well, I disagree very strongly on that. Infact, i always suggest people to go for digicams powered with AA batteries if there is a choice.. ofcourse i have my reasons..

-you can buy a new set of batteries from a roadside shop, even if you are trekking somewhere in himalyas if your 'Li ion' battery drains out. - - a huge huge positive.

- Li ion batteries are pretty much properitery, so you have to get back to the manufacturer for replacement and they are costly. More importantly its difficult to find them other than big cities. The camera models as well as battery designs change very much like other IT stuff, so if your cam is getting old, chances are you wont find your replacement battery easily.

-AA size rechargeables are available. A set of four 2700 mAH capacity would cost about 1.5 to 2k. Do the math.. 2700 x 4 = 10800 mAH. While those Li Ion batteries are just about 1000 mAH to 1200 mAH costing about same. See how costlier they get?

Oh,, and lastly, i can use them in my torch as well.. :)

Regards..

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@cpyder, what you said is true. I have seen couple of high capacity AA sized batteries and they are as powerful as a single Li-Ion battery.

Removed the entry from the list and thanks a ton for bringing this into light :)

recently i purchase kingston RAM from computer empire for my friend. When i install it then there is no display because of faulty RAM. And when i get back to computer empire for replacement then the employee there says that he can`t replace because it may be burnt. He told me to go kingston for replacement. In short i want to say that COMPUTER EMPIRE is VERY BAD shop for purchasing computer hardware.

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Dynet ram - even though its better than other unheard of names, it failed on mine. Didn't know what the problem was before and i used to get like BSOD's quite often last 2 months. The module completely died last month. Replaced with Transcend premium memory (DDR 512MB x 2) and its all okay now.

Personally I am a bit ... off about Seagate. I had a better impression before.
I bought my Seagate IDE 250GB harddrive 4 years ago and it still works flawlessly with zero errors. It was a proper boxed piece in a red box, sealed properly.

However my second seagate harddrive which was barely bought one year ago (a 160GB IDE Disk) failed very recently. This drive I was hesitant to buy cause all it had was a loose flimsy plastic cover with a sticker of seagate on it as packaging. (even a cheaper nokia 1100 comes in a better solid box ) The seal was just a cellotape.

I got the error during boot up that the smart status was bad and the disk was prone to failure, and wouldnt proceed. So detached the drive, put it in an external USB converter case and used it as a removable disk and took whatever data that was necessary ( I usually have backups). The drive works still but the read write times are way too much even though it wasnt in PIO mode (now it is ..) Even the IDE cable is new.

I think ill go with WD drives soon enough, depends really :-?

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
guys, I have updated the list today. Let me know if I missed anything.

Remember, it should be a product having mass failure rate and not one with one or two scattered incidents.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Add Asus DVD Writer and Starlite Rams ( Know many cases )
& Don't Forget to add XBOX 360 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom