Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewin

Point Blanc
well doing a copy paste of my response in other thread

well as topgear says, m adding my venture I got Asus DRW-2014S1, its already 6 months for this buy. First of all this is IDE burner, and I got a casing which I needed to use to have an external burner, as earlier I used my company laptop and 8x burner becoming too slow with so many discs to burn.

the piece I got was not able detect and read discs properly, so not even one week over I went to the shop and he sent me to the distributor where they immediately replaced my piece (a new one-not used and repaired one, thankful to that part), since then this burner is running very good for me.

Earlier I had heard asus and sony were the best brands, and I got both of them, and I have seen other people having samsung and LG, it tought me one thing if things running fine it is good otherwise always a trouble.

arounds 4 months back I had bought 640GB 32 Mb buffer Seagate 7200.11(the shopkeepers were trying to sell 750GB HDD to friend, who had gone in the market, but due to price and capacity getting I said do not buy anything other than the 640 GB HDD)

from the first day of use I am happy with my HDD, but I have heard all storeies and real compaints about 7200.11 series of HDD.

getting replacements and exchange done is very annoying part.

Its more onto the distributors, because they are the ones to keep stocks, and scumbags if do not agree onto a point its all done, as there being no authorised service centers of most of the products.

and about seagate, if there are authorised service centers it is a lesser hastle as I have seen getting good results from them, in giving replacements.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
add to this the shop from where I had bought Asus burner(in SP Road I buy my reqs most from there), said to buy Sony of Samsung as they are more selling burners in the market.
Asus does not gets sold that much, when I was searching I found only a few shops selling it, and even this shop from where I bought it, he did not had and brought 2 pieces from the distributor to sell one piece to me and keep another one in stock.

So, buying something available readily available in the market helps , so I do not have any issues buying seagate, while choosing between WD and Seagate it is more price.
Like I bought WD Passport 160 GB because it was readily available(more people buying it) and lesser price than Seagate.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah buddy I've heard that asus makes high quality DVD writers as someone I know using 3 asus IDE DVD writers for 1 year without any prob. So I thought they make good sata DVD writers too. But in my recent experience I got from the faulty asus DVD writer I've come to learn that asus makes very low quality sata dvd writers & their cost is also higher than other brands. Now that's a complete cheating as they charge you much ( it's around Rs. 250-300 more than other brands except sony ) & makes such low quality sata DVD writers & doesn't offer good service. & for market availability it's was readily available on most shops on january but now in no shop I found a single piece of that shity sata dvd writer. I think they just discontinued the manufacturing of that model.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Update your hdds firmware to SD1A & you will be safe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks 4 reply but where will I find this updated firmware sd1a.is this is I can update myself or take to Seagate service center.

acewin

Point Blanc
Arnab, do not upgrade firmware if you are not having problem, most of the people who suffered the issue was very quick within a week or two, not after very long.

Firmware upgrade can open the gate to problems, I do not think they have fool proof solution to the issue as of now.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks 4 reply but where will I find this updated firmware sd1a.is this is I can update myself or take to Seagate service center.

First of all backup your important data.

Download the firmware & burn it on a CD. It's a ISO file. you wil get a bootable CD. Boot your rig with it. accept the license agreement & exit that page. On the next page you will get the optinos for fW update.

Read everything carefuly. Select the option which matches your HDD. Though it's bit confusing you have to chhose download the firmware for your particular hdd model. It will flash your HDDs firmware. After flashing follow the the instructions.

See the links below :

Discussion regarding this issue :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106610

Read all three pages.

Firmware update link :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1062813&postcount=67
Posted again:
Arnab, do not upgrade firmware if you are not having problem, most of the people who suffered the issue was very quick within a week or two, not after very long.

Firmware upgrade can open the gate to problems, I do not think they have fool proof solution to the issue as of now.

Even if he haven't faced any prob he should update the firmware. Most of the people faced issue coz the first version of this firmware was buggy but the second version which released 4 days later was bug free & fixed the issue.

Firmware update is not that risky. The firmware issue was fixed a long time ago. See the links I've posted above & go through all the pages.

Last edited:

lilovirus

Broken In
HP Keyboard and liteon DVDRW

Never buy HP Keyboard,
after couple of days I was not able to press keys, I had to press to hard to get it work.

I have replaced 4 DVDRW in 2 yrs still facing problems.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: HP Keyboard and liteon DVDRW

Never buy HP Keyboard,
after couple of days I was not able to press keys, I had to press to hard to get it work.

I have replaced 4 DVDRW in 2 yrs still facing problems.

Which brand ?

There are still some people who insist on spending the least amount of cash to buy graphic cards, and dealers end up fooling them to buy GeforceFX5200 256 MB.No use getting this!
My advice- u can get Geforce 9400 for almost same price and better performance.
However, u may get it for Rs800-900 approx in some stores which r just fed up of stocking 5 year old GPUs.THEN it is a decent buy

P

priyadarshi

sorry for being late, i forgot to mention.
a big NO from my side to Linksys NAS200.
buying it in Nov. 2008, was my biggest mistake.
1. Very slow transfer rate, you can ever imagine. i tried copying 20 GB of data but after 48 continuous hours it copied only 20% of it.
2. No Level II support for this device in India. But they can arrange a call back from Phillipins. (Sounds Good)
3. Pathetic replacement service.
I was advised to send the device for replacement and I submitted the product in Nov. 2008 and guess what, after waiting for more than two months the dealer found hiself unable to give the replacement.

but thanks to my vendor who managed for the credit note and last month i got my money back. it was strange that the dealer was eager to deduct some kind of service charge (don't know what for) and Taxes on the credit note. though i didn't let him do that.

hayabusa_ryu

Journeyman
I also suffered from Seagate crysis(I think it was ST....20AS 7200.11 500GB model). I lost all my data. I got a replaced HDD with a different model ST......18AS 7200.12. I hope that it wont die in future.

P

priyadarshi

had problem with 250GB seagate it got crashed and developed bad sectors too. sent it for RMA thrice and everytime they sent me back the same 7200.10 one. now they started checking if the HDD is burnt with their multimeter and refuse to accept for RMA.

surinder

Tech addict
Any ell cheapo PSU.

A person in my neighborhood purchased an assembled PC few months back powered by unbranded PSU blown out in couple of months though lucky enough with rest of system on that time. But for his bad luck got replaced the PSU under warranty. Guess what passed just one month or so blown out again but that time along with MOBO and both RAM modules.

surinder

Tech addict
A layman have no choice but to insist on assembler's terms.

Assemblers are culprit in these kind of cases who cares only about their own profitability to the max putting the lowest grade equipment in ignorant person's system.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ very true. When I 1st assembled my system the shop gave me some sort of ram which just sucks.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ very true. When I 1st assembled my system the shop gave me some sort of ram which just sucks.

I swear this is really an issue with Hardware computer vendors these days, they really take the layman for a ride..!! I see tons of people getting fooled at the electronics market (Nehru Place), at Delhi.

1. Customer Walks in -- requests a product. (Example Processor).
2. He is shown the product but the oldest model. (Example a P4).
3. Price is slightly over quoted.
4. Bullshit features are listed by the seller (Example fast L1 cache).
5. Customer does not understand this jargon, but is impressed.
6. Seller recommends to buy without CC or bill -- to save VAT.
7. Customer buys and walks off.
8. Next Customer Walks in.........

By the way I got a Microsoft Wireless (3000 series) mouse. It is damn shitty. The clicks are so hard, and at times..it just freezes. Does the USB connector (which has the laser receptacle) need to have a 'line-of-sight' with the mouse. I placed the USB connector at the back of my system. For now I have removed the mouse, and back to the good old, wired one...! Any suggestions for this..experiences..??

tkin

Back to school!!
I swear this is really an issue with Hardware computer vendors these days, they really take the layman for a ride..!! I see tons of people getting fooled at the electronics market (Nehru Place), at Delhi.

1. Customer Walks in -- requests a product. (Example Processor).
2. He is shown the product but the oldest model. (Example a P4).
3. Price is slightly over quoted.
4. Bullshit features are listed by the seller (Example fast L1 cache).
5. Customer does not understand this jargon, but is impressed.
6. Seller recommends to buy without CC or bill -- to save VAT.
7. Customer buys and walks off.
8. Next Customer Walks in.........

By the way I got a Microsoft Wireless (3000 series) mouse. It is damn shitty. The clicks are so hard, and at times..it just freezes. Does the USB connector (which has the laser receptacle) need to have a 'line-of-sight' with the mouse. I placed the USB connector at the back of my system. For now I have removed the mouse, and back to the good old, wired one...! Any suggestions for this..experiences..??
Wireless mouse and keyboard sucks and shows lag in games, anyway, no line of sight needed, i used one earlier and it had no issue, check the batteries and do a RMA if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom