Harddisk Drive not showing in windows 7?critial problem !

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
I don't know how it happened but I have 1tb hdd , which i have partitiond into 2 .i.e. both 500 gb.
but in windows 7 my second 500 gb partition is not showing , which has my personal data of 400 gb.
i tried disk management in windows its shows my 1st 500 gb primary n healthy and second 500gb wich not showing in windows explorer/my computer blank .when I right clicked n said change drive letter and path it gave me error" disk operation failed " here is the link to error image Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i tried reinstall windows 7 , restored Bios settings but no help . When I installed windows xp it showed me my lost drive properly working. But I want it to be visible in win 7 only . thnx in advance

gameranand

Living to Play
Use this and report
Parition Wizard
Also if you have Ubuntu Live CD/DVD then boot from that disk and back up your important data before using above software. Although it don't delete anything but better safe than sorry. :)

OP
nvrmndryo

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
I've already tried that , it doesn't show 2 diff partitions it shows 1tb hdd and shows disk as bad . but thing is I can access both drive in win xp without prob , its happening in win 7 only !

aswin1

Journeyman
Only thing you can do is to back up the data to an external hard disk, delete the partition and reformat and then install Win 7.

OP
nvrmndryo

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
its almost impossible for me coz it has combined 1tb data , n i dnt have 1tb disk for backup .
n now in mini tool partition wizard my lost drive is showing and also in partition wizard's explorer all data is showing there .. i changed my drive name / label but no use..now i am using recover partition , lets c ..

doomgiver

Warframe
run this command from a admin/elevated(run as admin, in vista/7) command line :

chkdsk <volume label> /F

where <volume label> is the partition letter, like D: or H:

example

chkdsk C: /F

this will check the C: partition for errors in the filesystem and correct them.

rawgeek

Broken In
Can you go to start->run_eventvwr

In the left hand pane=>windows logs
right click on system and application and save them and upload it on a file sharing site and paste the url here.We ll have to check the error in the disk from those logs.

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've already tried that , it doesn't show 2 diff partitions it shows 1tb hdd and shows disk as bad . but thing is I can access both drive in win xp without prob , its happening in win 7 only !

even I'm experiencing the sam thing but no fix so far - I've to switch between XP and win 7 but as I mostly use XP still I learnt to live with this ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I will give that app a try but I don't think the app could solve this. 3rd party HDD tools can show me the missing partitions ( in win7 only ) and folders inside of them but whenever I try to mount them they simply unable to do it - tried many methods so far but still those partitions are not accessible under win 7 but those exact same partions are working well under xp and when I scanned the file system and disk with chkdsk and HDtune they are completely ok.

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
try "partition find & mount" ;)
download it here Partition Find and Mount &mdash; free partition recovery software

i hope it works.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I have read it somewhere, that's actually a feature of Windows 7, when it hides the partition containing the other OS, if it is not the primary OS or not on a primary partition or like. Try to do a google search.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, nice to see that OP's issue has been solved ;-)

Will try out partition find & mount and gparted live both - thanks for theses guys;-)

OP
nvrmndryo

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
it was crazy issue.first I made partition table using gparted live. then installed win 7 , still drive was missing even in disk manager in windows & partition magic.. Installed win xp drive was visible there so i moved my imp files to other drive .. then again repaired my win 7 ,, n there was my missing partition visible ,,
so i don't know what exactly happened there , but I am happy that I didn't lost my data ...

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like some problem regarding primary/logical partitioning. At least your data is saved. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it was crazy issue.first I made partition table using gparted live. then installed win 7 , still drive was missing even in disk manager in windows & partition magic.. Installed win xp drive was visible there so i moved my imp files to other drive .. then again repaired my win 7 ,, n there was my missing partition visible ,,
so i don't know what exactly happened there , but I am happy that I didn't lost my data ...

thanks for the detailed instructions - this might be helpful to me ;-)

Top Bottom